Private instruction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by shoryuken63, Jan 19, 2008.

1. shoryuken63

shoryuken63 New Member

I was wondering how i can find instructors willing to teach and train me more of a one on one basis rather than 20+ students a session. I want focus on my training than having the instructor walk up and down the lines and dividing his attention.

2. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Find out what clubs are in your area that you fancy get into contact and see what type of instruction they are prepared to offer. Suss out if you are happy with the style and go from there.

What I will say though is that being able to pressure test what you are learning against different shapes and sizes of people is an invaluable, and in my opinion, mandatory part of your training. Maybe its worth finding a club you like then asking the instructor if he will give a private lesson a week in addition to the classes that way you get the best of both worlds.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

:D I here by deputise Wado :D Yeha! Ok deputy Wado get me some coffee! :p Then we can sit and eat beans from the can round a camp fire ;)

As for the private instruction. It's a waste of time unless you mix it with a club environment where you get to train with loads of different people. Not all of the techniques work on everybody in reality. The theory is always good but life, even in a club will throw up a few surprises. That's valuable experience you simply cannot afford to do without.

Just my opinion of course. :) Welcome to MAP. Want some beans :confused:

4. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Private instruction is only good as a supplement to group training.

5. donb

donb restless spirit

you need the group to compare how you're doing skill wise or get you motivated and to spar to see if what you learn actually works

6. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Nutter. :love:

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Can anyone mossey on up to this here campfire?

shoryuken63:
    Most schools I know of will, for a price, offer you private instruction. As has already been said, train with a group is a wonderful experience. Different sizes, attitudes, backgrounds, all make your training well rounded. The days of one Master/ one student, are all but gone! Join a good school and then, speak to an instructor that you like and see about individual instruction. You will find that different instructors have different areas of expertise. Individual instruction from any or all of them will only add to your group training.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Sure. Just don't sit too close. I've had a full can of beans. ;)

10. narcsarge

Buffalo burgers, Tequila and pass me a can! I need the ruffage!

11. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Shoryuken, where are you from? What style of martial art are you interested in. Like everybody else said, 1-2-1 training is ok as an extra but you can't beat the group classes for atmosphere and encouragement. Saying, that i am available to teach self defence techniques for the right price, could do with a new car.

12. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Seriously, my instructor does 1 -2 -1 teaching, and also does small group training once a month which i would think is better. We have a 3 hour session and only about 8 students and have a really good hard session swapping training partners about every 30 minute so you get used to training with different sizes/builds These classes are a lot more intense than the regular weekly classes.

13. narcsarge

Not one of these cans I hope!

Bad Beans!

Should we be preppin' Boot Hill?
    :Angel: :Angel:

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Can't really add anything from what's been said apart from:

Is there any specific reason you want private training? i.e A disability, phobia, training times being a problem?

15. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Maybe find a school where they don't teach in lines? Private training is ok for some things but it's really better to be training in a group - you get to work with different people and can do a far wider range of work. Presuming that is you find a shcool that doesn't just teach kata in lines...

cheers

Rob

16. shoryuken63

shoryuken63 New Member

hey all thanks for the replies. to answer the questions i was interested in private instruction cuz i was tired of not receiving enough attention to help me fix problems with my forms, stances, etc. plus i wanted more control over the tempo of the sessions (it always seems like the stuff i wanna work on we blow through and the stuff that i am not having as many problems with we spend forever on). But i will look into finding a class that will also offer private instruction.

17. TKDgal

TKDgal New Member

If you tell us where are you from maybe we can help you with some recommendations or useful info ;)