Prison weapons - the Shiv

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by CFT, Aug 16, 2006.

1. CFT

CFT Valued Member

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Having worked in Cat A prisons as a discipline officer in the UK, been stabbed twice with an improvised weapon, I don't see any art ethic in this at all let alone a reason to display them is some 'arty-farty' way.
    Yeh they sure will take one's breath away when thrust into the heart, neck or lungs then snapped off at the handle. Pillock !

Just to add to this.. I've seen six inch nails with duck-tape wrapped on the head end for better grip pushed ("nailed") in to eyes, ears and base of the lower jaw (the pressure point below the ears) Perhaps some art critic might like to discuss that art ethic as well :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  3. CFT

CFT Valued Member

Some people really do have no clue Dave (you're right - arty farty nonsense). But you must admit there is a lot of creativity involved.

4. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Oh great. Someone has turned the act of making a toothbrush a stabbing implement, into some Avant Garde *synonym for masturbation* (sorry, but I can't use the W word).

5. Dave Humm

I don't doubt the creativity involved but then it dosen't take a rocket scientist to nick a bit of perspex or some other workable material and shape it on a grinder, bearing in mind of course that the people doing the "creativity" are convicted scumbags of this world, and its a shame they couldn't apply their "creative" minds to more productive aims on the 'outside'.

6. watto86

Yeah, they could have ended up working in a work shop making knives or something. :p

Sure, its creative. But i'd much rather appreciate the time taken in making a knife or sword or a proper blade of that type.

7. Dave Humm

What ?? wonker :p

8. watto86

Something like that, yeah. :rolleyes:

9. Dave Humm

Dude... Their in prison, making blades of any description is a no-no :rolleyes:

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Don't think I could have those in my museum. Weapons that are crafted such as samurai swords I would though. Even though they are all essentially made for violence, they are from 2 completely different eras and countries.
    They are more interesting in terms of social history than art objects .

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Personally, I have an affection for weapons of any kind, and I found the slide show interesting. There is no difference in ultimate function between those shivs and a rapier, poinard, katana or mace... to injure or kill human beings. A mace is after all, a metal club. You don't get much more primitive (or useful) than that. True, the sophistication of the shiv collection pales in comparison to a fine longsword, but it nonetheless is a testament to what can be used as a weapon in extremis in one of the most unpleasant environments someone in the western world can find themselves in. After all, one should always be aware of what can be used as an improvised weapon... you never know when you might have to use one yourself, or have one turned upon you.

Best regards,

-Mark

12. Dave Humm

Criminals volunteer their time in prison by the virtue of their criminal acts, they don't "find themselves" anywhere.

Don't get me wrong I don't condone violence between prioners themselves however; whilst improvised weapons may be fashioned for use on other prisoners, they are just as equally used on the discipline officers staffing the prisons. The last time I was stabbed, the individual concerned was aiming for my heart and attacked me from my left side, I was lucky that his shank penetrated my upper left arm (just above the elbow) to the bone. Just another day on the job. ;)

13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yeah but yeah but...... Dave you do Aikido and you're still here :eek: my god what's the world coming to! ;)

Glad to hear you come away ok!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

True enough, but there are wrongful convictions, and those who are sent to prison for crimes they didn't commit can also have as much need of weapons (or believe that they do) as those who are sent there as a result of crimes they have commited, but that's not my point. My point is that people can and will turn anything into a weapon and it's good to be aware those things. Fine hand to hand weapons are cool (hence the MA I study), but it's merely a refinement of some proto-human bashing in his rival's head with a rock.

I don't really condone violence at all if it can be avoided, nor am I glorifying the actions of criminals, and I commend you for your service to society. What interests me is the weapons themselves, and the techniques with which they are most effectively used. Also, the utility of learning how to improvise weapons of one's own (regardless of the quality of the person who invented any particular shiv) is not to be discounted.

Best regards,

-Mark

15. watto86

I get your point, but I think you missed mine. I didn't mean prisoners making knives. I was referring to these people who were going on about how clever and great shivs are and what not. Shivs are exactly what they are, plain looking stabbing implements made from commonly available items. They don't look fancy or intricate/ornate or anything. So I was referring to show value and that sort of appreciation that other "proper" weapons will get.

16. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Sorry guys another post by this hacking lowlife.

Apologies.

Regards,

Steve Delaney

17. watto86

Another? Wow. You sure have your **** kicking calendar booked solid.

18. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You have no idea! :D

19. watto86

Go get 'em tiger!