previous training taking on a new art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bonita, May 17, 2006.

1. bonita

bonita Valued Member

i'm taking new martial arts and not caught up in what color my belt is and my instructors are aware of my previous training and they are training me stuff from upper upper ranks--just wondering does this bother other new students?

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

huh? more detail please
    what style to what sytle
    what rank to what rank
    etc...
    then we'll b able to offer an opinion

3. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

And is it stuff that the other lower belts aren't taught? In our classes we'll often at least have a go at and be encouraged to try some of the techniques the 2nd/1st Gups are working on, although we may well be terrible at them.

4. jmd161

jmd161 Hak Fu Mun

I think i understand what you're trying to say.

What you're trying to say is, you're learning a new style and the teachers of that style know of your previous MA experience. So instead of starting you at the begining like everyone else, they've started you off with more advanced training.

Right?

The second part of the question is, you want to know how does that effect other students when that happens. Well, i guess that depends on the school and the teacher, because no matter how experienced you are my teacher still starts you with the basics. The only way i can see this teacher doing this, is if your previous experience is within his style. Otherwise it makes no sense.

While there are many MA's out there that share similar concepts and theories etc...that does not mean you can just jump from one to another and have full understanding. Then again, if the teacher feels you're experienced enough to do so, it's his decission. As long as you deserve that advancement, i don't think the other students would mind, but if you're not that good, it may cause problems for the school in a big way.

jeff:)

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Just out of curiousity, why do you care what the other students think?

If your previous training is such that your instuctors feel it's appropriate to have you work on upper-level material, well, they're the instructors and they're the best gague of how well they feel you'll do in their system.

6. bonita

bonita Valued Member

i have trained in a similar system so lots of the stuff is exactly the same. i'm just curious as to what other students feel about it, its not gonna break me, was working with another upper belt and she was just beside herself trying to get it and upset that i was getting it and i was trying to tell her it takes time and to relax--so i was just wondering

7. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

sometimes i think it does, but im sure they wont mind if they are aware that you've done other MA's before.
    but my instructor says its all for oneself in MA's and whilst your there you have no friends and should only care about your training and how you are doing

8. Nomadwanders

Nomadwanders Valued Member

This is an interesting quote... on some levels I agree with it and on others I fervently disagree.

Yes, martial arts is about improving oneself, and in that respect, what others think is immaterial. However, one of the best ways to do this is by helping your classmates in their training. In other words, raise yourself by elevating those around you, rather than stepping on them. By making your "competitors" better, you push yourself to improve.

Most of the time, our dojo is a friendly atmosphere with everyone working together as a team to do better karate. On the rare occasions that we compete against each other, that goes out the window a little, but everyone stays friendly win or lose.