Pressured Point Names in Korean

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_123, Jan 16, 2006.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I don't know if anyone else got frustrated by the black Kuk Sool books, with regards to the pressure point charts. The lists are in Korean and the diagrams in Chinese. Not very helpful for me.

I found a good source though in Marc Tedeschi's Hapkido book. The charts are easy to read. He gives a short description of the local anatomy for each point. He lists the pressure out by their common number and gives the Korean (as well as Chinese names) That is just the part that compares to black books. He gives a whole lot of other info as well. The Anatomy chapter is 60 pages long.

Then there are the other 1000 or so pages in the book that have all kinds of good stuff in it.

I really like this book :love:

2. JSun

JSun Valued Member

The pressure point discussion in the videos was a *bit* lacking as well. The hapkido book looks pretty comprehensive. It looks like a nice addition to the library. Thanks for the reference.

3. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

4. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

Interesting. Looks similar to a much older book called Accupuncture For Self-Defense by Myung Chill Kim. The source materials are probably the same...

5. kswgreenman

kswgreenman New Member

I've got his 'Essential Anatomy for Healing and Martial Arts' (or thereabouts), which is really good (and is probably just the same pressure point material as in your book, minus the Hapkido).

My instructor also reccomended me a book called 'Grasping the Wind' that describes the origin of the pressure point names, which definitely helps with tying together the English names if not the Korean.

6. KSWarrior

KSWarrior www.warriorinstitute.com

I have the pressure point book by SBN Carmody. It is okay, but the photos are not very clear. :bang: It looks like he pulled them from off of a website. It was helpful in translating the names of points, but not very accurrate in location. Overal it is just okay if you just want an overview but it is not a real accupture book by any means.

7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I looked on Amazon and it seems that you've got a couple of extra chapters and about 80 more pages overyall. For $16 I might just pick it up. His Hapkido book is a monster and hard to carry around.

I'm gonna get the Grasping the Wind book, even though in my case wind means something very different.

I have not seen SBN Carmody's book.

Amazon says the book by Myung Chill Kim is out of print :cry:

8. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

Oh, I'm quite certain that it is. I picked up my copy nearly 30 years ago when I was just a sapling, studying Kong Soo Do.

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Thanks for the tip. I bought this book and it helps, particularly when the names in the Kuk Sool book don't match the ones in the Tedeschi book.

10. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Some good books

Hi,
    You might lookat these 2 books if you have an interest in researching the pressure points. The first is by Eachou Chen and is entitled "Crossectional Anatomy of the Acoupoints". It has pictures drawn from functional MRI scans taken of cadavers with needles in place at each point, all the subvening tissue and structure is accurately described with precise neurological detail giving each branch of each apsect of nerve trunk that innervates each structure that is related. I found the book difficult tu use for research so I entered the whole list of descriptions into a huge database that I can query any way I like. I use the program to compare different points looking tor neurological relationships between them.
    The other book is an excellent first step toward understanding the physiology associated with acupuncture. It is by P.E. Baldry and is called "Acupoints, trigger Points and Musculoskeletal Pain". Chapter 2 has an excellent description of the basic pain gate theory as it relates to theraputic acupuncture.
    If you really want a deeper understanding there are a couple of necessary books that would need to be read. The first is called "Anatomy of Manual Dexterity" and mostly deals with somatotopic brain maps of the thalamus of the rhesus monkey. That book is necessary to learn the terminology to read the next book, and also for general understanding of brain structure and function. The other book is called simply Thalamus, and is really 2 huge volumes costing about $900.00. I have a copy of them and had to read each several times first to acquire vocabulary, next to gain general understanding of the work and finally to research how the thalamus might produce some of the more exotic relationshils between the acupoints.
    Folks it literally takes years of work to really understand how these points work, what concrete mechanisms actually cause their effects. Unfortunately I can't just give away that kind of understanding; I would if I could.

-Chris J.

11. DL.Demolition

DL.Demolition New Member

Are you taking the **** pal??

You are writting the same old shiiiiiite aboot thos books on all of our threads.

Maybe you are just trying to be helpfull but you are coming accross as very anal.

DL

12. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Chris J., thanks for the reply, but I'll have to file away those book titles for a while. I am not that far along in my studies yet. I think I'm taking Pressure Points 101 and those are graduate texts.

13. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

KSN has asked everyone @ seminar to memorize these names for the last 20 years and virtually no one has done it. It is extremely easy to learn to read korean and therefore learn the points from the book. however learning the modern term serves you just as well. L-1 = joong boo etc....... The only reason for learning it in korean might be..???????

anyway...less than 100 of the 670 points are frequently used in KSW, and many of them are difficult to actually apply. Some work extremely well(ex..karate pimp). No doubt it should be studied. Learn to read & write korean first if you must (that will take a few diligent days) the churn through the syllabus for practice. At that point you will be ready for more.

14. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Just using the black books, try to find all the points on the Lung meridean. It is impossible.

I can read and write koren no problem, albiet my pronunciation is no good and I have no idea what I'm saying. I am learning the Korean names for two reasons. First it is the only I'll start to learn some Korean words, and hopefully kick start me into learning Korean itself (something I've always wanted to do). Second when a Master says hit this pressure point, he is going to say Su Sam Li and not LI-10.
    I want to learn all the pressure points so that I can start to learn traditional healing.

15. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Traditinal healing is ALWAYS done in chinese unless you are specifically taught by a korean and even then they sometimes use chinese. BTW most masters don't know it either :D :D :D

16. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The books I have found use chinese and the point number/letter. So I think I'll be o.k. since I am learning the numbers as well as the Korean names. I don't know how far I'll go with this, only time will tell.

17. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

remember...The more you use Korean... The more you need the Koreans........and they know it. Which is why they usually insist on it.. read my signature.......

18. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I own my practice.

19. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Good, thats the way it should be.

20. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Are you taking the **** pal??

Hi,
    What exactly do you mean by this comment? It leaves me confused, and wondering just exactly how old you are. Can you please enlighten me on this? ... is **** pal anything like pay pal?

You are writting the same old shiiiiiite aboot thos books on all of our threads.

....What is Shiiiiiite? Did you mean ****? What is 'Aboot'? What is 'Thos'? Can you read? You certainly seem to have some difficulty writing... is english your first language? That might explain things...And finally, why are these "your threads"? Do you mean clothing? I have not written anything on your clothing... confused... (OK this was all a joke...)

Maybe you are just trying to be helpfull but you are coming accross as very anal.

I had not intended to sound that way. I was trying to help. If it is too much trouble for others to research these things I quite understand this, having done the work myself. It is difficult! I would be happy to contribute analysis to any specific questions that you or others might have about how these points work, and why, and what the possible dangers of some of them are. People who simply coppy a few charts and descriptions probably can not give you an actual explanation like this, and I would be glad to take the time to do this. But please, lets 'at ease' the juvanile banter so that we do not **** each other off in the process. (I am 45 years old, and have been training ****o-Ryu since I was 9; I have also been in the Army for 22 years).

-Chris J.