Pressure-testing the "keys as a weapon" defense

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by callsignfuzzy, Jan 10, 2014.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

ESP founder Mark Hatmaker demonstrates why he isn't a fan of the idea of using the keys as a self-defense tool, as advocated in some circles. I personally don't think the issue with getting small cuts in the webbing of the fingers is worth giving it up as a tool, but past that, it just doesn't seem that effective in the demo. Anyone have any different experience?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBFoCk6g88"]Testing car keys as a weapon - YouTube[/ame]

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I love Mark Hatmaker!

Though, I disagree with him regarding keys as a defensive weapon. Keys are a defensive weapon if utilised properly. Know where to stick them and you're gold.

3. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Didn't national Geographic's fight science do an episode on this and other self defense techniques. If I recall a demo on the ballistic gel head with an ignition key was done

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

The type of key(s) and key chain used will make a difference. Not all keys/key chains are the same. I've had some scary looking keys in my days, sharp, serrated 4-5 inches long, could do a lot of damage with something like that.

5. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

I Once had to help with first aid and call an ambulance for some one who was punched and gouged in the face with a set of keys. We did think the attacker might of had a sharp or deliberatly sharpened one in the bunch.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Use a credit card instead.

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Attach keys to a Kubotan.

[​IMG]

8. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

one of my instructors is good with knowing many of the pressure points. They all actually got one of those big key looking things that you would put on your key chain and he had showed me a few areas where it was effective... yes, it hurts and yes, you'd at the very least think twice about trying something with someone who is savvy with them.

9. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I've barely got any keys- house key, car key, cabinet key, and that's it- and if I was forced to deploy them as a weapon, I'd probably use it more in the style of an ice-pick with the knowledge that if I'm not aiming for the eyes, I'm probably not going to do much damage.

But back to the subject at hand: has anyone pressure-tested with keys?

10. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A little with keys, loose change, rolled broadsheets, umbrella's.

If the scenario allowed for it, keys/loose change were mainly used as an escape mechanism or element of surprise. Throw toward at face. Kick to the gonads run. Etc.

11. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

I have a small torch on my keys officer, its for when I get in late at night officer, oh the lanyard? That's so I don't loose them officer