pressure points uneffective in fights?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaron, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

nice hyperlink. :p

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

In cant get images to work or I would have done that :cry:

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Wher can i get one?
    they look really effective:)

4. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

LMAO

5. hidden_lion

hidden_lion New Member

Not true at all...most knockouts are a result of pressure point hits...Side of the jaw, behind the ear, etc....Get into a clinch and the points magically stop moving...When doing ankle locks the pressure points are there..ready and waiting. the fact is any where you hit that hurts is Kyusho/ pressure point. Nothing special or magic about them. Take a look at an accupuncture chart and you will see hundreds of places to hit. You don't have to even aim for them...Watch UFC ultimate knock outs or any boxing knock outs and watch where they hit. All the instant knock outs arent from super strong hits ( a few are tho) most are placed right on....In real time...Ever had the wind knocked out of you by a strike? Pressure point...

6. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

i think thats to generic and general of a statement. you have to take in fatigue, stamina, streangth, power of the strike, the opponents defense ect...

pressure points can be striked and have negative effects, though that does not mean knockouts always result from them, otherwhise if i landed 10 pressure point strikes i would imagine the guy to be knocked out already.

however as i stated before, they are nice to aim at and make good targets so your hits are consistant, expecially for wing chun chain punches (if you do not strike a specific target, yoru chain punch will look more like a bazerker attack lol). it also does do some negative effect to the area or body when you strike them properly.

getting hit in the jaw ect as you stated, can be due to non-pressure point factors when they are knocked out. this can be such as ... weak neck muscles (causing them whiplash and knockout), having their neck faced the wrong way, having their jaw open and getting it slammed shut, or having been hit in the head already 500 times lol.

people who use dim mak or pressure point fighting and say they know how to kill others, is probably wrong. saying they know how to weaken their opponent temporarily with pressure point target strikng, is probably more accurate. also like others said, pressure points can control bodily functions like peeing yourself or even basic control over your muscles.

people who learn pressure point fighting to "super 1 hit kill others", are learning it for the wrong reasons and probably will never learn how to even use them effectively in a battle.

7. WingChunRoxGrL

WingChunRoxGrL New Member

I think that pressure point are cool and that they hurt a lot when people do them to you. I know because i've been the victim of many attempts.

8. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

I did the demonstration on wingchunroxgirl and it works:) however as i said, it did not kill her and she prooves to be alive.

9. Slindsay

So what have we learned f4rom this? A brief summary:

1. Pressure points are real
    2. The trick is actually getting the other guy to hold still long enough to hit the pressure point
    3. This requires alive trainning which is mighty difficult to do if your pressurepoint is teh d34dly as your opponent ends up the opposite of alive
    4. If you hit get my pressure point stick or if youi can just hit hard enough then anywhere is a pressure point

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And now may we forever close this thread. :love:

11. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

slindsay, you don't have to have the target hold still. you just have to target the points with your strikes. for instance, if i'm dooing a grab to the forearm, i push my thumb on their pressurepoint... i don't have to have them standing still hehe.

if i'm striking thier chest, i aim for a desired spot.

i see pressure points as having a duality purpose... to give me a target to aim at for my chain punches to keep me accurate and not sloppy... and to temporarily give a slight advantage or pain boost to my strikes.

however, i do not use them in hopes of killing or death touching, or that would make me a looney.

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

you completely missed the point, j. "hold still" doesn't necessairly mean "just stand there". it means "getting the two of you in the best position to make it remotely possible for you to perhaps hit the right spot with just a couple of fingers." But I still agree with all 4 of his points.

and for the record, I'd burst into hysterics if you even thought about claiming you could kill someone.

13. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

in wing chun, our blocks often open up the spots for targeting... such as a stance turn and tan sao (block), of a round punch... opens up the chest area... allowing the point to be hit.

however, if you just aim at it with the persons guard hands up, then as you say... its very hard to make the connection and could be a wasted strike (expecially if you just used two fingers). thats why i use them when they are off guard or when my blocks or reflections have opened up an opportunity.

14. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

"slindsay, you don't have to have the target hold still. you just have to target the points with your strikes. for instance, if i'm dooing a grab to the forearm, i push my thumb on their pressurepoint... i don't have to have them standing still hehe."

Now i like pressure points and there are plenty on the arm but i would suggest you try that in a real fight and come and tell me it works. There are pp that can work the majority of the time(a limited number). But if you try this in a real situation i would suggest you will get hurt. If you hit these points you might get a better reaction (might) but even good thumb prssure i feel is very dubious.

15. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

do you do wing chun? i was trying to describe a specific grab that we do, and if it didnt work we wouldnt do it. its almost as if your brushing their arm off, and you slide your hand down (jut sao) but at the end, you squeeze your hand and force your thumb onto thier pressure point or at least muscle.

if you missed thier arm, you have more then the pressure point to worry of. even if you miss the pp, at least your thumb sends pain to thier arm of some sort.

anyone know the move i'm trying to describe?

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

You HOPE it works. Nothing is guaranteed, especially in sparring or fighting.

17. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I've used PP several time in fights with real success. Not so much the "touch his arm and he drops unconcsious" nonsense, but I have used them to break hold and to sway the fight.

Strikes to the points over the heart are hard to miss and cause a lot of shock and surprise. Strong thumb pressure to the points under the mandible when trying to break form a grab works real well, especially on drunken chave who tend to scramble away pretty quick.

End fo the day PP aren't the be all and end all but they dont need Uber skill or "just the right circumstances" to work either.

18. Slindsay

jroe: Basically thats what I'm saying in point 4, you aim for the PP's but make sure that your swinging hard enough that even if you misss them you still do some damage, for me I always aim body shots to hook in to the floating ribs or I try to get the sternum with them but I try to throw the shots hard enough that even if they miss the other guy is hurt., what I mean when I say you cant rely on pressure points is that the target is small and you have to accept that in the middle of a fight you simply are not going to be able to hit them cleanly that often so the ****y weak blows that you see some "PP experts" demonstrate doesnt hold water with me. When it coems to gtrappling I accept though that PP's are a completely different matter.

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Agreed. I'm more inclined to agree with the analysis presented by SCP_Kensei about PPs in grappling than PPS in striking.

Off of a grab or grapple, they are much easier to use. If you're going to throw a strike, may as well go with a good punch, better chance of it hitting.

But, and I keep repeating myself, don't count on them to end the fight. Nothing short of a .44 will guarantee that.

20. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

So I'm hosting a seminar with a guy named Ron Chapel here in October, and he takes a differnet approach to this material than most.

I haven't had the seminar yet so my description might be a bit vague or even just off the mark but I will try to get at the salient points. Actually I think I will just copy something he wrote...

So, it is not so much that PP strikes cause your organs to shut down or whatever :eek: , and it is not about causing extra pain :cry: . it is about eliciting natural instinctive reactions of the body and knowing how to take read them and advantage of them. :Alien:

chapelomaha.tk