Pressure Points & Their Practical Applications....

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Bassmonkey, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Hi MAPpers,

Has anyone here been trained or has been taught about pressure points?

If so have you successfully been able to use the knowledge in a match/sparring session/fight?

I have been reading a book called pressure point fighting by a guy called rick clark and its really interesting. It doesnt tell you the actual pressure points or the results of what happens when certain pressure points are hit but the whole idea is really quite facinating!

To be honest the book is a little over my head. Its an really interesting read but i think that without some knowledge at least of pressure points im not going to really understand alot of the details contained within the book.

Is there anywhere that you can learn pressure points? I knew about there existence but not anything about them in detail.

Thanks all

C60

2. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

http://www.dragonsociety.info/
    http://www.laugar.co.uk/

The best person to ask around here is Lau Guardian (Steven). He is the UK DSI Reprisentative.

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'll give you the pat answer I give anyone looking to train in pressure point manipulation...

A) Good to know, but don't expect the use of them to be a fight ender, they don't work on everyone.
    B) Make sure you can throw a punch first. If you can't hit someone's jaw, you won't be able to hit a pressure point.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Rick's a nice guy and is usually in the UK twice a year. I'm getting the impression that he won't make it across this November but if you go to his website you find dates for some of his Irish seminars - the nearest place that hosts him on a regular basis to you would be either Cardiff or Brighton. If you want to 'see' where the points are he has a high quality DVD out with Sumersdale that goes through basic points on the arms. I haven't seen the DVD but I can assure you that it was very painful being an Uke for it.

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Kyusho International offers practical training in pressure point usage. Their system is designed to supplement your current, regular MA training... Check out www.kyusho.com to see if there is a study group or full Instructor in your area.

6. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Pressure point knowledge is useful. However like Domino states the targets are harder to reach when someone is trying to take your block off.
    But if the opportunity presents itself... by all means go for it. Some results will vary from person to person.

7. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Yep, you need some kind of delivery system, whether it's your CMA, kenpo, boxing, MT ..

8. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

Yeah I concur with other posters here... they are real and they work, obviously, but its pretty tricky to hit most of them effectively.

And no we don't usually train them in sparring cause they hurt like hell and we're usually pretty nice to our partners!

We do train them with two man drills though.

9. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Cavet Emptor.

Pressure points are oversold with a bunch of mystical mumbo jumbo that is nothing but a load of claptrap. The myths that you can hit a pressure point and have someone "die three days later" is complete crap. As is most the presure point knock out stuff. They can be useful, but only in certian situations, and only to a certian, limited extent. Too many people who know nothing about them or how to use them effectively get sucked in by wild claims made by someone who has no real knowledge.

If your regular art doesn't teach them, I'll go out on a limb here and say it's probably not worth your time to go out of your way to learn them. Overall, they're a low percentage technique, and unless you have every other imaginable high percentage technique down pat, don't wast the time. You'll get bigger returns from just practicing the run of the mill stuff. If you're actually at a point where you're so good at all the more normal methods that any future gains can only be small, then learning presure point attacks may be worth your time.

Cheers!

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Good points. While I do believe in dian-xue (pressure-point striking), as well as using knowledge of pressure points to enhance joint locks and such, it really shouldn't be your top priority. Besides the fact that very, very few people out there are actually qualified to teach dian-xue, it is also considered the most advanced form of striking in CMA. The first is punching and the second is palm strikes. If you've already exhausted punching and palm strikes (practically a lifetime goal in and of itself), then maybe seek out a dian-xue teacher, preferably as part of a style you already practice. In any case, if you can't throw a knockout punch or a palm strike with jindao, then you won't be able to learn dian-xue anyway. It's a cumulative level of achievement. If you can't get your whole body behind a punch you won't be able to do a good palm strike. If you can't put jindao into a palm strike you'll never be able to put it into just one or two fingers. If you can't make toast, you'll never be able to make a baked alaska--and why would you want to? You eat toast more often anyway.

11. Isshinryukungfu

Isshinryukungfu New Member

there are great uses for pressure-points. but once again you need to practice your normal strikes and holds before even attempting them. pressure points can make locks much, much more effective, and add extra damage onto your strikes. when you hit sm1 you cause surface damage, with the (very hard to do and master) correct hitting of the points you have damage to the nervous system (the seeing stars/sudden nausea). Some points dont even have to be struck, some you can simply slide up or down (like a motion in a block) to cause effects

We recently did a class on this pressure points can effect your strength. If you have sm1 hold their arms out to their sides and try to push them down they have good resistance. However if you run your finger from mid chest down to below their navel and then push their arms down, they will find that their arms arent as strong as they were before and will fall with less pressure. if you run the finger back the opposite way, you will find that they once again have regained their strength. i cannot for the life of me remember the name of the point you are running along.

On the flip side though correct pressure point hitting can be blocked out by adding tension to that area( flexing arm, tighten stomach) at the right time. if you are a good striker, pressure points add a mean extra boost to your arsenal, but it takes years to master and learn the effects that each pressure point has to your body/mind.

ad as for using them in sparring, it is pretty hard to hit a pinpoint area just right if you have on a padded glove and covered knuckles.

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Its hard enough to land a solid blow to someones jaw, let alone jabbing a finger into a pressure point.

13. laugarfist

Yeah but we are not trying to needle a specific point as in acupuncture. More to land a solid blow in areas that we know to be more affective. Therefor if you hit one point solidly and know how it affect the body then you can hopefully strike the next area to greater effect. If it is a solid blow and misses the point but still connects then so what? you have still hit them!

This goes back to what has already been said about an affective delivery system. You have to be able to fight well before even beginning to think of adding PP's.

That said you don't always need to strike a PP. As has also been mentioned you can brush points to affect them or prod and poke. If you are trying to move someones head and know that GB 23 (I think) or ST4 will make it easier then use it.

14. Lau Guardian

Lau Guardian New Member

Pressure points are a tremendous tool if used correctly.
    However as many have mentioned to hit a point is difficult if you don't have the skill to "earn the right" in the first place.

You have to have skill to get passed the on coming attack first then strike a suitably exposed point or area.

Pressure points can also be manipulated in Chin Na to enhance the effectivness.

Pressure points are "the iceing on the cake" , a good strike will hurt or cause damage. A good strike to a specific area can causew devastation.

I urge people not to just pick up a book or DVD and start whacking points. Many books and DVD's do not go into the medical implications of hitting certain points. Always seek someone with good knowledge of the points and the outcome in striking them. There are many good prctitioners around the world. Some of which have already been mentioned.

Not meaning to plug but see events forum for details of an applications seminar for all the Lau Gar people - all combat applications will have pressure point involvement of some sort.

15. founder5

founder5 Valued Member

Check out www.rapiddefencetactics.com. Chief instructor is Pete Holmes he is an absolute legend not many people in the country know pressure points and there applications like him.

16. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I think we should define what we mean by pressure points.

Is the "button" on the jaw a pressure point? Are we talking about acupressure/acupuncture points that can be struck for harm?

All of the above?

17. laugarfist

By Pressure Point I mean an acupuncture/pressure point based on TCM.

Other than that should probably be called a vulnerable area.

18. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

That is an acupressure point.

19. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Not really. The acupressure point has a much smaller surface area than the button. The point is within the button, but that's like saying the solar plexus is an acupressure point, or the nose.

20. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Most everything has already been said. I've trained with Rick Clarke on a couple of occasions and enjoyed [backspace....backspace] gained knowledge each time. Well worth it if you get the chance. The important thing I keep reminding myself is that he's been doing martial arts longer than I've been alive (and I'm no spring chicken myself). Ouuuuuchhh!!!

My thanks for the unexpected laugh goes to:

I don't know the technical terms for individual pressure points, and I suspect there are a couple of 'notations' for marking them - so I was momentarily puzzled by sm1. The second use gave away that you meant someone :D :p

As for:

That's a regular criticism, but what makes you think we're allowing you to MOVE the target ;)

A nice extra, and sweet if it works, but not to be relied on to work on everyone.