Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Supertramp1981

Supertramp1981 Banned Banned

while i do acknowledge that the translation is 'tender point' the actual original meaning is 'first second' but language has a way of evolving and i would have thought the word has evolved to mean tender point. but the actual meaning of kyusho is 'first second' which i think is important because the name of it is really what its all about

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Source?

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Supertramp1981

I've spent hundreds of hours watching material on this subject, i don't just make it up off the top of my head (like i did about chi):)

4. Hannibal

I meant that - who or what says that, because even Kyusho orgs don't use that definition and it doesnt correspond with people who actually speak Japanese.

Of course it could be the same as the confusion around "kara" in "karate", but given that the overwhelming majority use kyusho to mean something other than "first, second" (which again in Japanese doesnt translate as "kyusho") i was curious as to the genesis.

I can find one "copy and paste" blog if dubious merit that referenced it

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Hannibal

I tell a lie I have found another website thats a Dillman school...which instantly makes me doubt the translation

"Ichi byo" is one second in Japanese for reference

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Supertramp1981

i don't speak Japanese, and also the word has probably been around for hundreds and hundreds of years and with hundreds of different dialects each with its own separate evolution i couldn't really say, but the man who i heard it from has been studying kyusho longer then I've been living, so i'll take his word for it

7. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

TBH there are many old terms that can be used for these things and often they can provide some useful insight

Curious as to what "first second" implies as to the usage or essence of kyusho?

Thanks

8. Hannibal

I posted a response above but I suspect he is wrong or else passing on what he has been told

"Ichi byo" is one second and "saisho" means first

So "saisho byo"

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Supertramp1981

yes I'm passing on what I've been told, did you make up your own martial art?

10. Hannibal

Nope, but I have also been told wrong information over the years - like you likely have here

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Hannibal

And the "HE" refers to the instructor you reference, not you

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Supertramp1981

hi mate, where the first second thing comes into it for me is, say for example if someone throws a hook and you strike them on the inside of the arm on the p9 point high in the bicep, if the practitioner is skilled enough they could knock the attacker down with that blow, and give themselves time to get away from the situation

13. Supertramp1981

sorry not p9, its the
    sorry not the p9 i meant the p2

14. Dunc

Hi
    So it refers to a 1-2 timing with the attack being 1?
    Sorry not sure what you mean

15. Hannibal

I think it is taken as meaning "first second on the fight"

Again I reiterate this is absolutely not what it translates as

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Supertramp1981

i'll be honest i don't really know about 1 2 timing I'm not familiar with that, but i was reading something you wrote earlier about striking from short distance, and that really fits in well with kyusho, because although its always good to hit hard with kyusho angle and direction are more important then power so it can be quick and sudden without any loading up of the arm

17. Dunc

Thanks, but curious as to the relevance of First second - could you explain (sorry if I’m being slow)?

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Cool, and has he got ''dillman'' lineage, or has he studied karate under a different lineage?

19. Supertramp1981

no thats cool man, from how i understand it it's quick, sudden for example if you've got your hands up in a passive position you're hands will be quite close to the attackers face, if your hand is out and say you have it in a dead pool hand position if the attacker goes to strike you you can hit them on say the gb 14 point on the middle of the eyebrow, and if it doesn't knock them out it will put you on the front foot, so all the most important stuff happens in the first second. having said that thats just my point of view from my quite limited experience, so i don't really have the right to go on about it because I'm not a qualified instructor.
    thanks mate

20. Supertramp1981

please leave uncle George alone! just joking mate, to be honest i don't really know