Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

An attack on a PP shall send a shock through the guy and give you the moment to hit him with a haymaker.

Other than that they tend to annoy aggressive opponents.

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU2d4BoOgYE"]Pressure Point Fight[/ame]

3. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Recent sarcasm is just seething and out-of-control IMO. :bang:

If someone expects to accurately hit any of the hundreds of tiny acupuncture points scattered all about the body, many of which are located in obscure and difficult to target places, then I agree that they're DEFINITELY dreaming. But the "hit 'em in the head and then kick 'em in the groin" mentality is equally denigrating to all MAists IMO. There IS a bit of science which can be applied to the art of fighting, and anyone who chooses to ignore basic anatomy & physiology is doing themselves a great disservice and probably ought to stop lumping themselves in with the rest of dignified MAists throughout the world. If one trains to strike certain spots on the body, within the bounds of "reality-based" pressure testing, then the likelihood of being able to actually hit such targets dramatically increases during a real attack. It's not like I'm suggesting that you try to dodge bullets, after all. :rolleyes: (I'll leave all the bullet-dodging to our cartoon/anime friends, and perhaps anyone who idolizes Remo Williams ;)).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I can envision striking PP during grappling but clothing etc tends to make it even more difficult in a striking scenario.

In self defence scenario the tendancy is to attempt to survive the attack and having the choice to strike at difficult areas of attack is not really much of an option.

Again there are also those who tend to present the PP as "secret" striking points etc which causes many to disregard them.

5. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

The Pressue Point material is a real and effective part of MA work though not exactly the way that it is portrayed in the movies and media.

There are two classes of PP, "debilitating" and "manipulative" and should not be confused with "strike points" which tend to encompass a very different sort of structure and methodology.

Common thinking in MA practice seems to allow that PP can be mastered with little or no investment of the practitioner of time and effort which probably accounts for the high rate of failure. PP practice is rarely popular owing to the discomfort and not rarely to the "subsequent distress" that individuals experience following such sessions. As a result training is often half-hearted, perhaps being likened to "pulling punches" during practice, a method that can produce failings of its own. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  6. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

I would suggest that some pressure points are really easy to hit during a fight (depending on what you count as a pressure point). For example, there is an exposed bundle of nerves near the end of the muscle that connects the forearm and elbow. Even an accidental strike there can cause a lose of feeling in the arm, a deliberate strike will make it almost completely useless (i've experience both). The "dead leg" point on the outer thigh will of course cause the effects we are all familiar with. Directly striking the heart will have adverse effects on your opponent. Then of course there's the sternum (if you count that) the jagular and carotoid(sp) artery in the neck, again not to hard to hit. I've also found (probably because I'm short) that striking the nerves near the top of the bicep, and the never cluster under the arm is really quite easy. My tall (6'4) training partner has had great results with the top of the shoulder muscles, where they join the neck, and the weak point at the front of the skull.

None of those locations are all that difficult to reach (and some of them I have hit in a brawl) they just require time and training, like everything else you learn. Most people can't throw a straight punch when they start out, but they learn. I'm pretty sure no one starts off being able to reverse heel kick (I still can't) but they learn. The explotation of human anatomy in a fight is learned response, like anything else. Its effectivness is down to you and your training.

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Common areas to KO someone, even those used by pugilists, are grouped in the category of Dim Wit, er, Dim Mack, er, Dim Mak in order to support the existence and stimulate the mystical.

8. 47MartialMan

This doesn't always work on anyone or everyone.

A person, say a brawler, whom has a high pain tolerance, would react quickly to this stimulus before he would succumb to it.

One ought to not be complacent on such.

9. 47MartialMan

I guess you understood my slight sarcasm

10. 47MartialMan

Yep. I like the part of N Shaolin and "gently stroke". :rolleyes:

Sorry, a gentle stroke of the ear was more than a PP to drop someone. Unless there was another intention :rolleyes:

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Sorry, I dinna ken yer meanin' in either sentence.Pls elucidate.

12. kick toe

kick toe New Member

pressure points are very real, like anything you have to pratice and read about this. learn anatomy and blood flow, not to leave out body position. many martial art members do not condition there hands or body to be strong enough to administer a strike or touch to a point. above all study and understand the 12 main meridians and what they do. what time of day are they most active. if you dont know, or your body is not strong enough of course you would not believe.

13. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

As I think I mentioned earlier, in the kwan that I belong to, there are 38 Preasure Points and 46 Strike points. If one's goals are to debilitate these commonly known and recognized vulnerable points will get the job done. For myself, however, I look at knowledge of CTM points as being of greater value in "fixing what I break", as it were. In this way, being able to resusitate an unconscious person, manage pain, re-establish balance and orientation or address damaged tissue is also a responsibility of the practitioner. I probably would not go so far as some modern surgical procedure, of course. However, I will point out that a great many MA practitioners were also skilled in herbal and manipulative medicine such as "bone-setting". Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

14. 47MartialMan

I dont know how to?

15. stephacts238

stephacts238 Valued Member

pressure points are real but not something to soely rely on.
    Personal example alot of pain pressure points do not cause any on me just make me move.

16. APC

APC Valued Member

Haha!! that's hilarious! What a load of chod!

17. 47MartialMan

The main flaw with these points is that everyone has a diffferent pain tolerance level.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Everyones favourite explaining PP's....and more importantly how you can counter "teh d3adly".....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSzSflkns8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSzSflkns8[/ame]

The real gems are at 7:09, but the whole thing reeks of awesome!

19. Thravian13

Thravian13 New Member

I can assure you that pressure points are quite effective, and real. My dojo teaches Hapkido pretty early on. Every fourth week is Hapkido and defensive techniques.
    If you get someone in an arm bar, or twist a joint, such as a wrist, they'll experience a sharp pain running up their arm. None of us really knew what to expect the first lesson, but it definitely makes even tough guys yelp. It's kind of like a warning system in the joint situations, warning you that your joint will break soon. There are some in other places, like under the jaw, and they seem to cause just as much pain. I have nerve and immune issues, so my pressure points don't work, but I've definitely used them against other people in my dojo, especially since we have an "anything goes" sparring philosophy. If you want solid proof, find a skilled black belt and ask them to demonstrate a technique on you.

20. Supertramp1981

Supertramp1981 Banned Banned

Hi I realise that I'm 6 years late on this conversation but I wanted to get some thoughts down just in case somebody reads this post. I've been studying Kyusho jitsu for a couple of years now so I'm really just a novice, but I would like to say respectively that for me the main point has been missed. I feel that pp knockouts are just the icing on the cake, but why is nobody talking about the eggs and the flour= distance and time, if your out of 50/50 range and in a position where you can hit them and they can't hit you does it really matter? If you go for say the si 18 and nothing happens so what, using your principles you've brought yourself time for a follow up strike, so hit them again this time a good hard strike with an open palm, if that don't work hit the attacker again and so on. I absolutely do believe pp work but also in a real situation I have to say it is a completely different ball game, when your hearts pumping and your knees are knocking