Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Exactly. While there are pain compliance pressure points that can work well on occasion, I've never seen any of them be a KO spot. But the old standbys (e.. jaw, temple, brachial plexus, solar plexus, liver shot, and peroneal nerve) work pretty well on just about everybody.

2. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

I've known a martial artist that I've learned under and respect become seriously ill due to Dim mak during some kind of altercation abroad.

My personal view on this stuff is like my view on internal martial arts - the vast majority of practitioners cannot get it to work against resisting opponents.

Although this may be an argument used by trolls I think it's still valid; If PP's were that effective, then someone by now would have used them in MMA (especially vale tudo because of lack of gloves). I don't believe for a second that every practitioner is a saint who is 'above that', full contact tournaments have been a part of eastern martial arts culture for a long time (That's why I find it strange that you don't see more practitioners in such sports).

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Because there is more muscle in the upper leg area than the fore arm area.

People in the ancient time talked about 点打摔拿 (Dian, Da, Shuai, Na) - pressure point attack, strike, throw, joint lock. People in modern time talk about 踢打摔拿 (Ti, Da, Shuai, Na) - kick, punch, lock, throw. The 点 (Dian) - pressure point attack have been replaced by 踢 (Ti) – kick, and 打(Da) – general strike have been replaced by hand strike only. The reason is simple. Most of the pressure point strike knowledge had been lost is the past several hundred years.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Who knows John, maybe they'll make a comeback in UFC or something.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Aaaahhhhh!!!

I spent a lot of time on a good post only to be told when I hit the "submit" button that I wasn't logged in!(Must remember to copy post before submitting!)

Oh, the heck with this. Guess I'll undertake some night research on points in regards to the fair sex.

Everybody have a nice weekend !

6. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I don't think that the human body has an integrated set of magic "off" buttons. The neurological reasons behind a knockout are complex enough, trying to fathom why tweaking someones nipple whilst tickling their opposite armpit or whatever 'pressure point' causes a knockout seems impossible.

I'm sure that there are ways to hit me that hurt a lot due to the configuration of my major nerves (see funny bone), but these vary a reasonable amount from person to person (see the blood vessels on the back of your hand compared to someone else/your other hand) so pressure points hardly a reasonable combat system.

7. Anorhyme

Anorhyme Banned Banned

Because they became an assassin instead and kill people with their techniques for big money?

Where is the reward in demonstrating skill to people whose main form of communication is jeering?

8. Anorhyme

Anorhyme Banned Banned

Aha! Someone who knows something!

People want Dim Mak attacks to drop someone to the ground immediately. When it doesn't happen they think Dim Mak is baloney.

One aspect of Dim Mak is about what this guy said. Press the point to make someone sick down the road. The pressure point attacks cause blockages within the body that interfere with normal health functions. The health functions interfered with and how they were affected would depend on which point was hit.

I knew an Asian guy who used to do this to stupid white guys all the time. He hated white guys because they invaded China and forced Opium addiction on the Chinese.

Big mouth white guys would be big mouths and this guy would do a pressure point attack on them. Nothing happened and the big mouths kept being big mouths. Laughing about how tough they were that they could take the "Death Touch" attack.

Then a week later they would come back and there would be a 5 or 10 inch dark black bruise on the spot the Asian guy attacked. No telling what internal damage was done because you cannot see inside of the body.

What really got my attention though was the change in mental and personality of the people who were attackd. The pressure point attacks seemed to make the white guys go crazy. It did not happen right away. After 6 months or maybe a year they were different people than they were when they walked in the door. Different crazy.

Maybe it was the kung fu training that made them crazy. The Asian guy had a habit of teaching people he didn't like wrong kung fu so they would make themselves sick.

Maybe it was the pressure point attack that made them crazy. The guys that refused to let the Asian guy do the pressure point attacks did not seem to get crazy, or as crazy, as the big tough white guys who could take anything, especially some stupid pinching "Death Touch" attack.

Just an example of how crazy one of the white guys became. He was this big ass 6 3 or 6 4 guy. Real big and strong. He was always mouthing off. He was really stupid too. Because he was such a big man he let the Asian guy demonstrate the Dim Mak on him. Every month or so he would be proudly sporting his 5 or 10 inch dark black bruise from the Dim Mak demonstration.

There was also body toughening training. One of the trainings was to hit yourself with something. Of course the big tough white guy took that training right up.

One day he is telling us "People think I am crazy. I was on the subway waiting for the train hitting myself with my metal bar. Everyone that looked at me thought i was crazy".

This big white guy who had been on the receiving end of who knows how many Dim Mak demonstrations was so crazy he could not understand why people waiting for a train to go to work, would think a 6 4 guy hitting himself with a metal bar and giving people the eye was something that made other people afraid.

That dood was crazy! But he wasn't when he started class. When he started class he was a normal big mouth white guy working in a corporate office downtown.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm sure it'll be comforting to me on my hospital bed to know my attacker has a case of nausea thanks to my training.

10. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Anorhyme I'm sorry to say but i dont believe a single word in your post above. Let me put it like this i dont know if pressure point attacks work but i'l believe it when i see it. But your story of people going crazy and some weird ass asian giving people injury's that play up after a few months just sounds to unbelievable to be true.

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Striking pressure points definitely either completely false or so highly unlikely to get a clean enough strike there's no point training them. In a restraint situation however, there are definitely some. There's a really nice one behind the ear, that you get to by pushing up and in on the jaw, like you're pushing up past the ear. Although if it was a hairy situation you'd only be able to use it as a quick distraction before you smack him somewhere a bit more definitive

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

So who was this "Asian guy" you knew?Got a name?An address? Maybe we can get one of our non - stupidbigmouthwhiteguy- members to visit the guy and be experimented on.

If you can't back it up, don't make the claim.

Oh, and this "Asian guy" sounds like an unethical expletive deleted if he did things like this to people.Why would you hang around a school like that?

Your obvious prejudice against western civ,western technology,authority figures, and white folks -( I assume you mean Indo-Europeans,not people like some of the American Aboriginals of the northwest of the US who are whiter than many Italians and Greeks I've known)- is rather tiresome.Both here and in the medicine thread.

Please enlighten us all on how one makes an individual sick/crazy via teaching bad Gung Fu? Injurious practices I understand-but sickness?

You seem to take up a position and forget science,logic, burden of proof,discount other's opinions and knowledge unless it agrees w/what you wish to believe.Really makes for constructive discussion.Or a New Age lifestyle, I guess.

13. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Dude, if I want to kill someone there are guns for that. Not to mention poisons, knives and a half-brick down some dark alley.

14. kueller

kueller Valued Member

I don't know about their practicality in real-world fighting applications, but I had a guy demonstrate a pressure point on my hand to me once. I would have done ANYTHING to get him to let go. It was literally a paralyzing amount of pain, on the level where I could barely think coherently. No BS. Now, to use it in a fight, you'd have to manage to grab someone just right, so I don't know if it would be any good. But they do work.

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I've experienced a few pressure points on the hand, and none of them have that effect on me that I can tell. The biggest issue with pressure points is that many of them don't work at all on some people, and the ones that work on nearly everyone tend to be blindingly obvious targets for a nice solid strike (i.e. throat, ribs, solar plexus, face, groin).

16. kueller

kueller Valued Member

I may be unusually susceptible, or he may have been unusually skilled, I don't know. I'll be the first to admit I'm a noob in a lot of this stuff. But in my limited experience, as someone who had the same doubts about pressure points actually being as effective as they are in movies/tv/etc, i was basically crippled and rendered completely helpless. I couldn't even try to get away. And no lasting pain or injury, either. It was pretty remarkable.

17. pecks

pecks Valued Member

there's a guy at our club who is good at this kind of thing. from what I can tell, you can't expect to strike a pressure point in a fight. what you can do is attack one once you've controlled your opponent with e.g. a lock. I see them a kind of an additional extra.

18. never too old

never too old Valued Member

Pressure points can be used as a distraction technique to take the person's mind off beating the living daylights out of you. Hit a pressure point on the way to grabbing them to get them into a lock/restraint and it might slow them enough to give you more of a chance.

But they are only one thing in my toolkit of self defence, and I would not expect to be able to only use them to get out of a tricky situation.

I've attended a seminar where around 10% of the attendees didn't feel pressure point techniques, but I have been on the receiving end of plenty, and I know they definitely work on me. Interestingly, our cat manages to find the pressure points in my legs when she comes up and treads me as I sit on the sofa. It's not painful, but it is uncomfortable.

At the seminar we did try out the 'knocking on heaven's door' move someone had heard of that could allegedly make people pass out, but no one felt much, or passed out either. I don't believe pressure points could be used for an instant knockout, but I do think that they can be useful when used to inflict immediate pain without the need for lots of force.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

They can be useful for escaping from a grappling situation that you've already screwed up beyond all recognition. I recently escaped from a headlock by jamming my thumb into the space between his throat and jaw and pushing until he released his grip. I think you should probably stick to common, easy pressure points though. And the BS about 'death points'.... well... and the whole system of different pressure points with cute alphabetical and numerical labels is useful only as toilet paper.

20. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

I think pressure point is a bit silly. Can anyone take it seriously when you say you can stop someone heart by palm striking them in certain areas?