Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

I've always heard about pressure points and their supposed effects. Is it all fantasy?

I've seen videos of people being knocked out with two touches..but the problem is that they're fellow students. Just seems like a powerful placebo effects to me...they WANT to be knocked out..they're pressured by their fellow students..hence then fall unconcious. Same thing with faith healing "BEGONE DEMONS!" etc.

If it was possible to knock out someone with two touches you'd think the police would be using it.

We worked with some when i took Ninkyohendo back in the day, but it just felt like "Yeah if you squeeze any part or poke any part of me hard enough it'll hurt."

Please educate me :).

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

It is possible, yes, but you have to use enough force.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrS14kLwYW4[/ame]

3. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

Well that was just a normal spike your blood pressure knockout. I mean like..can you poke certain meridians spots and knock people out and all that like the pressure point folks seem to advertise.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

There seems to be quite a few different opinions on what the term 'pressure points' actually refer to. If you tell us what your opinion is, then we can more easily tell you whether or not it's 'BS'.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

for massages and healing? yes. for fighting? rarely.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No.

Mitch

7. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Having been to Chin Na seminars and had the pleasure of being the fall guy i will say that pressure points and joints will make you wish you were knocked out because they hurt soooo much. There are a couple of points around the throat and neck that will knock you out if hit hard enough. The business that you refer to is BS perpetrated by crooks and perpetuated by moronic students who are happier to live in a fantasy than actually train hard. Pressure points and nerve clusters are very useful to the martial artist but require a lot more training to get the finnesse needed to be confident and effective in a real confrontation.

8. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

I dunno man, still gonna have to disagree. It was a super fast strike right on the side of the jaw. The spot where everyone try's to swing at to get a knock out. He hit the guy so fast he spiked his artery and knocked him out.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I mean you can't poke a couple of meridian points and knock someone out. A hard blow to the jaw will cause a knockout, there are other points of the body which are more vulnerable to attack than others and so on.

But those youtube clips of Dilman et al poking someone and them passing out are nonsense, as shown when he tried them on someone who was a news reporter, not a student of his.

Mitch

10. Ryan-T

Ryan-T Shito-Ryu

Ah alright, yeah I agree with you then.

Sucks they propagate myths like this that'll end up getting their students seriously hurt in a real fight. It's just irresponsible.

11. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

That's not an example of a pressure points effectiveness that's an example of striking someone on the head when they aren't expecting it, looks like he caught the dudes jaw line too. Blunt trauma to the head.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  12. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

Yup, it is BS. If people can use pressure point, why don't they enter MMA to prove it works?

13. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

Regarding PP's watch this vid about [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1nzD-n25Q&feature=related"]'the human stun gun'[/ame].

14. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

My particular brand of subtle sarcasm doesn't come across too well on the internet. ;)

15. eyeofstorm

eyeofstorm Valued Member

Pressure points do work to a point but you need to be accurate as it's not just the location of the point but the angle of the strike that determines its effectiveness. That's why a lot of people say they don't work or can't make them work. If you change the angle then it'll hurt like hell. Although usefulin a situationwhere you have control of the opponent ie he's locked up and you can freely strike they are very difficult to do on an uncontrolled opponent as getting that accurate on a fast moving target relies on a great deal of both skill and luck.
    Pressure points are very useful to learn but shouldn't be relied on and should form only a part of your overall arsenal of skills and techniques. In my experience there are also about 15-20% of the population they don't seem to work on at all.

16. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

Not really. People say they can't work because people like Dillman can't get them to work on anyone other than their students. You would expect him to be able to get the right angle, etc whether it was a student or not.

17. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

Nicely done. :cool: I feel silly now:cry:

18. eyeofstorm

eyeofstorm Valued Member

just because one person can't get them to work on a video is no reason to dismiss an entire body of knowledge entirely. Try poking your outer arm about halfway between elbow and shoulder. Poke around some and see what you feel. Arm bars are extremely effective when that point is brought into play. Forget Dillman he's not really worth your time.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you use your thumb to press on a point which is 1 inch away from your elbow joint (toward your hand), right on the edge of your forearm light skin and dark skin intersection, you can find your 曲池穴 (Qu Chi Xue). If you press your thumb into it, you will get entirely different feeling from pressing other part of your arm. It's the top most point of the following picture. When you use your right hand to control your opponent's right wrist, and use your left hand to control your opponent's right elbow (with 4 fingers under his right elbow), you can dig your left thumb into your opponent's 曲池穴 (Qu Chi Xue).

[​IMG]

There is a similar pressure point on your inside upper leg that is a good target for your knee strike too. Dig your thumb into your inside upper leg, you will be able to find that point which will give you the same feeling as you press on your 曲池穴 (Qu Chi Xue).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  20. righty

righty Valued Member

I tested that one on my boyfriend. He said it felt veerrrrryyyy different to the one near the elbow.