Press ups

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saz, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

In my desperate efforts to get into shape in time for my next grading, I've been doing lots of press ups/sit-ups etc. The problem is my back has started killing me, if I keep up, its going to give eventually. I need to exersize up my lower back muscles, but I don't know what to do to get them stronger. Can anyone give me any tips that I can do at home, my gym membership is up, so I've set up gym at home (much to my mother's annoyance :))

Also, does anyone use push up bars? I've got a set, and I'm questioning how much use they are.

Sarah

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... back extensions on a ball do it for me!
    http://exercise.about.com/library/Core/bl_extension.htm
    (check out the other exercises too)

Work on core muscle training which will work the abs and keep your lower back healthy strong.
    I noticed this other thread you started http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183 .... so I guess it is still an ongoing "problem"...

I have a set of those push-up bars.... I am having a garage sale tomorrow and they have been tagged for resell!! along with other..."useless" exercise acessories

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

try pullups for the back, it's worth a shot...

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I think the issue here is lower back - pullups do little for that area.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2003
  5. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Try this:

Lie down on the floor belly down. Now crunch up kind of like a reverse sit up. Ideally your legs and chest should be a few inches off the ground. You will be on your hips. Picture bringing your head to your feet but keep the legs extended.

Do it a few times and you will feel it the next day. Most people workout their abs but neglect the lower back, which can cause back problems, slouching, bad posture...

Try it out

6. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Very true about most people who workout their abs and then neglect the lower back. We all do some kind of strength work on our bodies but again for most people they forget to Stretch the body as well as learning to relax. By stretching and relaxing we actually find that we can then start to strengthen the body. As Joe Karate has rightfully said, "neglecting the lower back, which can cause back problems, slouching, bad posture...".

There are many well tested and proven ways to get the lower lumber stronger, my best bet would be to see your Sempai, or find a qualified sports instructor (YMCA and BAWLA).

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

7. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

go for the core ball exercises mentioned by kick chick for strengthening the lower back. It may not solely be a lower back issue but your inner abdominal muscles that should stabilise the spine are probably not functioning correctly (sit ups train the outer six pack muscles but not these). I used to suffer with low back pain, i began doing gym work and progressed to teaching classes on these, my back is now fine.

Salmon raises mentioned by Joe can excessively compress the lower spine, by doing the extensions across the ball it trains the lower back muscles and the stabilising muscles of the torso without sucj excessive compression.

For general core stability and conditioning i strongly recommend reading anything written by Paul Chek, the guy is a legend in functional training.

He recommends sets reps and weight should be balanced equal across both muscle groups, i.e you should be able to do as many sit ups as back extensions. Also train the abs in ascending order: lowers, middles , then uppers, as the uppers are stabilisers for the lowers under heavy loads reverse it and your spine is unsupported and very vunerable. It may also be your training that is injuring your back

8. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

let me know how you go Sarah cos i'm bad at this area too

9. YODA

As already mentioned - raising BOTH head & legs places too much stress on the lumbar spine. These are safer variations...

Raise just the head
    Raise just the legs
    Go across corners e.g. extend arms overhead and lift right arm and left leg or v-v.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a ball at home (its unlikely i'll be able to get one either), is there anything else I can use instead for the back extenstions? I've been doing the salmon raises, but just lifting my head, not my feet at the same time.

It sounds similar to this exersize we do in class... assume a press up position, but lie flat on the floor, then raise your head till you can see the ceiling. keep your hips and legs on the floor. Would that work the back?

My problem with press ups is that I'm a bit half arsed about things. I do them and get up to a certain standard, then stop and let it slide. Now I'm trying again and my back is holding me back. I need to get up to 70 seiken press ups in 3 weeks :eek:

11. YODA

That sounds like a Yoga stretch called The Cobra.

How many Seiken press ups can you do now?

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

30 if I push myself, I start getting knackered at about 25-27. My back didn't hurt this morning till I stopped, then it felt like I'd been stamped on! Should I do the back exersizes before or after the press ups, or both?

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmmmmmmm..........

Same probs I used to have.....my teacher made me hold a middle push up position for extended periods of time, also he gave me press ups with your arms yet farther away from your head, not wider but farther, like going into a bodystretch and doing push ups, but mind you they can be a bit more hard

Another reason that your back arches in push ups is because the distance between your feet and hands in too short...

But then I could be wrong....just my thoughts...

|Cain|

14. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I have a set of push up bars and I like them - better range of motion in the pushup and grip stengthening too!

What's a seiken push up?

15. YODA

A pushup on the two fore-knuckles.

16. Kat

Kat Valued Member

You could try doing a Hindu Push Up in correct form to help your lower back and still help your PU.Lower back stretches to warm up with and bridge/back arch push ups.Baby posture from Yoga sort of kneeing in foetal position is good inbetween sets.
    Improving the amount of PU I would go for the Priymid method on training days and go for your max/failure at least 2 x a week.Try to intergrate as many different positions into your workout(Diamond,wide,etc)and if your really keen get into Handstand PU.
    Good Luck with your goal

17. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Thanks Yoda. Why don't people just say Knuckle Pushups? ;)

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

because of the baggage of japanese terminology that comes with studying karate. In this case, it's actually quicker to use the japanese words, and they do in any case sound good. So we keep them around. I think.

19. Adam

Adam New Member

and because the seiken pushup is done on the two front knuckles, not the whole hand.

20. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Hmmm

Leg raises and reverse leg raises are good.

SONSHU