Press ups on knuckles

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Revobuzz, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

Pinkpaper? :D

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i probably shouldn't... but just for the lulz, here's higaonna being hardcore:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcjmPA2g26I"]Morio Higaonna: kote kitae - YouTube[/ame]

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Inappropriate comment removed

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  4. Kid Moe

Are you sure you wanted to write that??!!

No. No he didn't.

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  5. Pretty In Pink

Hey man, you started it.

6. Kid Moe

7. Pretty In Pink

I know where it came from. I just don't take things like that lying down. Sorry if I struck a nerve, but you struck one too. :/

8. You were insulting and disrespectful to Kid_Moe - no excuses!
    A frank, open and immediate apology is appropriate at this very moment.

:mad:

9. Kid Moe

Struck a nerve?! You were simply being rude... You mentioned my mother!!! That has nothing to do with striking a nerve but has everything to do with you being emotionally disturbed!!! I will not be dragged into a dispute by an online tough guy... I will just ignore you little girl... ;)

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Are you really that embarrassed/disgusted that you quoted from a gay news site?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Back on track please guys.

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Find a buddy who's willing to spar with you, then spar with just body shots allowed without any hand protection. Spar vigorously and actually try to punch each other fairly hard. You will quickly see some conditioning is necessary.

Knuckle push-ups aren't hand conditioning anyways. Makiwara work technically isn't hand conditioning either, it's primarily for the development of the technique and the wrist. Building large knuckles is a secondary side effect.

And some apologies are in order, Chadderz. Your comments were wholly inappropriate and uncalled for.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  13. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Right you are. Chadderz clearly considers that hand conditioning is stupid. I'd like to argue the opposite hypothesis...

I suggest that not conditioning your hands if you intend hitting people with them may be rather unwise.

But what do we mean by 'hand conditioning'. Well increasing bone size and density (through accretion and mineralisation) would surely be beneficial? Bigger, stronger bones will be better equipped to cope with the stresses of impact - whether you get the technique right or wrong. I trust that no-one here would argue with that?

But can we make the bones stronger without damaging ourselves in the process? I think that clearly this is possible, given that many, many forms of exercise strengthen the bones. The simple act of the muscles pulling on the bones does this. Which is why older people are advised to exercise to avoid osteoporosis. I also believe (though there is as yet limited evidence for this) that repeated low levels of impact have a similar effect.

So to makiwara training. Its true that many people have damaged themselves hitting the makiwara. But there are many others who haven't. Look at Higaonna in the video that Fish posted. He is, I think, in his 70s and still doing what to most of us seem to be crazy things that would cripple us. How does he do it? I think its because he started - and continued - in the right way.

Gichin Funakoshi's writings give some hints as to how makiwara training was done in the past. You'd start the student hitting the makiwara as quite a young child, but they wouldn't hit it very hard. Even as an adult you don't necessarily have to hit it hard - you just do quite a few reps, quite often.

And this is the key I think. Look at what Higaonna can do in his 70s. Funakoshi started makiwara training as a young child, yet he was still doing calligraphy at around 90 years of age. Clearly he hadn't caused himself too many problems with his hands. So it is undeniably possible to condition the hands without causing major damage to the hands. But it needs to be done gradually, incrementally and progressively.

Mike

14. Pretty In Pink

Okay okay, so here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff's_law

Conditioning your hands DOES happen all the time. When you hit the pads, or a heavy bag, they all strengthen your bones. Fine. If you punch to hard, or open a fracture, you are welding two or more bones together. That is why I find it dangerous to condition your hands, because there are so many bones there.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Press ups on knuckles help forearms and wrists in a way that press ups on hands don't.

Press ups on knuckles do no harm to your hands.

So what's the problem?

MItch

16. Pretty In Pink

I think we have moved on to hand conditioning in general now Mitch :p

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Dangerous if done incorrectly or recklessly. When done progressively and intelligently, it has little risk. Much in the same way makiwara work conditions the fist of a karateka as a side effect, so does a Thai boxer working the heavy bag condition the shins as a side effect. The primary purpose of both is to develop a powerful technique.

However, if you EVER plan on using a closed fist as a striking instrument, you'd be wise to look into some type of hand conditioning.

18. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm slightly confused. I've not heard of Wolfe's law before but I don't see anything on that page that supports your statement above. Where does it mention "welding two or bones together"?

Mike

19. Pretty In Pink

If you punch things and mess up the cartilidge, your bones can fuse.

20. Pretty In Pink

If you punch things and mess up the cartilidge, your bones can fuse.