Preserving Herbs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Vimtoforblood, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on preserving herbs?

This would be useful as I sometimes have left over fresh herbs that I would like to reuse in the future.

It would also be useful for those growing their own and preserving for winter.

Have you tried drying them youself?

VFB.

2. Shuto

Shuto Valued Member

I've successfully dried them using a food dehydrator. I wonder if you could also do it in an oven. A simple fan might work as well.

edit - IIRC Alton Brown dried food with a fan.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I just freeze them.

4. Shuto

Shuto Valued Member

I've heard of people doing that, specifically with basil. The method I've heard about involves chopping them up and then freezing them in water using an ice cube tray to portion them out. I've never tried it though.

5. Good idea! What about pickling or using oil. Anyone done this?

6. Moi

I just freeze then. Chuck 'em in a bag and throw them in the freezer. Add then to food frozen, they soon defrost.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That's what I do with them too.

8. Moi

Grammar school education you see:rolleyes:

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

:cool: Is right!

Made a man out of you and a short, scary, hairy footed hobbit out of me! ;) :)

10. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I freeze them but for leafy herbs I roll them up in newspaper first.

11. Moi

They couldn't and threw me out half way through the 5th year. Suspended indefinitely, looked better for the school. What a waste!:bang:

12. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Summer just gone. I cut stalks of oregano (true greek), tied them together and hung them to dry by a window for about a week. Went dry and crispy. Stored in airtight container (leftover from tea). Use in winter. Is good.

13. ember

ember Valued Member

My basil, I just freeze. My mints, I bundle and hang upside down from my clothesline until dry, and then stick the dried leaves in my fridge until I feel like making tea.

The cilantro I had, I used fresh.

The rest, I've just been letting grow.

14. adouglasmhor

It's usually cilantro I freeze in the newspaper, except we call it coriander for some reason. It freezes great though.

15. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like freezing is most popular.

Does using newspaper do anything in particular?

Does it prevent that dark, soggy effect you get when freezing spinach?

16. ember

ember Valued Member

coriander / cilantro

They are the same plant. The usage I've seen is cilantro for the leaves and coriander for the seeds. From what you say, I would guess that is not a universal distinction.

17. It is probably more of a regional/location thing.

18. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

Though I wasn't brought up with the cilantro/coriander name difference I refer to them that way since it's clear exactly what is being referred to!

I sometimes freeze it, but it grows all winter so I usually just pick it fresh....it tends to bolt to seed in summer I find.

19. adouglasmhor

Yes but i do not know why, it works for basil and lovage as well.