pre fight nerves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tuney30, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

Does this mean that when the attacker spits on you he is really trying to calm your nerves ;)....

But seriously, I read what has been posted and add to it in that practising with others is the way over the hurdle. When you become confident in yourself regardless of opponent's size, then you will be prepared.

The old saying "you never lose the butterflies, they just fly in formation" is one to accept.

Awareness is an important part in the confidence journey. Practice seeing the strike at the "s", the punch at the "p", the kick at the "k" (preferably the first k and not the last k ;)).

I train at our senior class with just black belts with 10 + years experience. (I have been out of MA for about 7-8 years and had previously trained for about 6 y on and off). When I come up against these more experience and bigger (Im the smallest of the lot) guys, I try to push myself even harder, and when I pick myself up off the floor, I try to analyse why I ended up there...

My sensei is also spending an hour or so after one of our classes and teaching some of us (those interested) how to get into the mind of the opponent. Physical capability is one thing, but phsycological battles can beat the physical.

Comments/ outcries most welcome...:)
    cheers

Mick

2. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

the wierd thing is that, I don't have butterflies in my tummy :|
    instead I have Rattlesnakes :shock:

3. oneil357

oneil357 New Member

There is no real sure fire way to eliminate it but its not always a bad thing, its actually your body and mind preparing itself for a potential situatution a kind of warm up if you will, it only becomes a bad thing if it prevents you from reacting the right way under that situatuion, which is why people study the art so they will know how to react, above all you must have confidence in your ability and your skill or the fight is already over!

4. oneil357

oneil357 New Member

HERE IS WHAT IS GOING ON INSIDE THE BODY TO GIVE YOU A BETTER UNDERSTANDING.

First the adrenal medulla releases adrenaline and noradrenaline, which makes the heart beat faster and allowes the lung to take in more air. The hypothalamus secretes CRH, or corticotropin-releasing hormone.CRH causes the pituitary to secrete a burst of ACTH, or adrenocorticotrocip hormone. ACTH stimulates the adrenalcortex into the blood stream.
    The most importent of these hormones is cortisol, also known as hydrocortisone. Stress may cause the adrenal glands to secret 20 times the usual amount of cortisol, and this PREPARES THE BODY TO DEAL WITH TROUBLE BY MOBILIZING SUPPLIES. It pulls amino acids out of storage of muscles(THATS WHY PEOPLE SHAKE) and other tissues, helps move them into the liver and speeds there conversion into much-needed gluccose. It also releases fatty acids from fat tissue. MAny hormones are essentail for dealing with stress from illness or injury for fleeing a animal in the jungle or for hand to hand combat this response is taught in basic psycology as the "FIGHT OR FLIGHT response. Your brain will decied if should fight ot run away, it is impossible to control this. This is something the novice ma will have to there disadvantage but the skilled ma will should be comftorable with this response and knows how to use it to there advantage, read previous post by me.

-ABC'S of the human body- by readers digest

5. Hwoarang

Hwoarang New Member

Fear does not exist to be extinguished, just try to presume that fear wouldn't be real. You wouldn't have any obstacle to kick someone tall 3 meters and heavy 300kg. I've read this and at the and of the article was written: " Fear is the best friend of a man"

I think that fear can be controlled but not taken aside.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I'm very curious abuot ways to intentionally stimulate an "adrnealine dump". I'm not sure how effective lettign somebody slap me would be ;) I don't think I would perceive enough of a threat to cause the fear reaction. Perhaps it can be somewhat simulated by burst of strenuous exercise? like sprinting but that is not the same really...

I think any method that is safe, I'm going to know it is safe, so I won't get the reaction... how can I trick my subconcious reflexes into thinking I'm about to get eaten by a lion?