pre fight nerves

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tuney30, Oct 24, 2002.

1. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

Anybody know how to control pre fight nerves?

Every time i walk around at night on my own or in a group i always get nerves when i see bigger lookin people. So if i was to get into a situation how would i keep my calm ?

2. STASH

STASH New Member

Thats probably the biggest problem anyone can have in any situation where you might have to defend yourself. The nerves you are talking about is fear and you'll never be able to control it 100%. As long as you train and develop confidence you'll be fine, when that attacker comes at you, you'll definetly be scared but you'll know what it is you have to do, your body will just react. Each time it gets easier and easier to control, it just takes time, there is no quick solution.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"Every time i walk around at night on my own or in a group i always get nerves when i see bigger lookin people. "
    dude i hav this prob too but it's just oppsite whenever i see bigger ppl i wonder how many kick i can finish him... :D
    why u want to control pre fight fears...? r u afraid of fear?
    fear's nothin to be ashamed or afraid of... it's natural ...
    when u'll be in fight ur body will guide u for starters...
    may be u freeze or may be u become mad dog...
    just for starters u can try meditation too..it's good ...but no guarantee of removin fears...
    second thing is practice,
    third thing go back to first again...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Fear

This is a tool to be controlled and not really used. I myself try not to focus on the size of an opponent or a group as if you look at a person and think he is big - you are paying him a more dommanant thought than yourself.

Be careful as you can lose the battle before it has even begun! - the number of times I have seen this in bar's clubs etc. It is somthing to be aware of and not to let it control you.

Just try to relax and have a clear mind - always be ready to run as well as we cant all win every fight!

SONSHU

5. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I alway's say a Prayer
    it helps to calm Me Down
    And gives Me a chance to ask for that Extraedge

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I don't know how to control them, its part of your natural responce, its not that easy. You've got to expect them so they won't take you by surprise when you are nervous.

I wouldn't try and relax to control my nerves, just concentrate on the fight. That can be a better way to focus your mind. Being relaxed in a fight might be a bad thing when you need to be sharp and aggressive.

Don't just be cautious of bigger people, I know size matters, but the best people I've fought have all been smaller than me.

7. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

I read up that in some lau gar clubs they do an exercise where they practice confrontation and they slap the attacker on the head to give him the nerves. How could this be translated into a real confrontation?

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Simple, a shove from an opponent, or even a slap (not necessarily on the head, shoulder or arm works just as well) will get your adrenaline rushing. These are often the movements that begin a genuine fight.

9. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Been in Lau Gar a long time, and I never heard of the organisation propogating this.

I would guess this is local to a particular instructor!

Nothing wrong with it though, if you are trying to provide a little adrenaline/realism into situational defense?

10. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

It's what we call getting slap happy.

Get in a good stance facing your partner.
    The one being slapped keeps their hands about solar plexus level, finger tips touching. The slapper has their arms relaxed, hands waist high. They have to slap their partner across the face, don't take their head off but enough for them to feel it. The one being slapped has to block to prevent it. Talking is encouraged to disrupt concentraction. Make them jumpy and feign a slap by
    subtle arm and shoulder movements. Do rapid succession.
    The adrenaline starts pumping and you get psyched up.
    Remember your turn will come to be slapped.

11. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I know what you mean.
    I don't have this problem on any given street.
    but when I am fighting in a tournament. I get nervous as hell!
    The atmosphere is devastating to your nerves, and just thinking about it and typing is getting my nerves going.

I believe if you can learn how to take control of the situation and let the adreanaline start pumping, getting pyched, becomming a "Mad Dog" You can dominate in that situation.

The first battle takes place in your mind.

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

just imagine u r asking for a date ;)
    a date with troubles :D
    all ur nerves, butterfly before a date will be gone when u'll actually had one :D
    -TkdWarrior-

13. slc

slc Banned Banned

I would suggest training in a club where you do some full contact sparring... boxing or muay thai. Once you get used to fighting and being hit it shouldn't be a problem (it will also make you realise that big people aren't always tough and small people aren't always soft!)

14. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

before i get into a fight is i either slap myself or write my will :D lol syke I think i slap myself before a fight.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I think that you'll never conquer your fear's without exposure. When you are in a confrontation it helps to keep a poker face. Dont let people see that your psyched out (even if you are) and always stay alert.

Hagakure (a book of the samurai) tells that a secret of keeping calm is to rub saliva on your right earlobe or forehead. I dunno what thats all about but Iam sure for a least a second you'll be asking yourself how this makes you calm and not worrying about fighting or being attacked etc.

16. Cougar_v203

i just asked myself that just now ;)

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

So the next time someone threatens you, you should try rubbing spit on your ears. That could get you out of the fight entirely as the other person will feel ashamed attacking someone obviously one stick short of an Eskrima set! :D

18. Cougar_v203

:D----->no comment at the moment to busy grinning :)

19. johndoch

johndoch upurs

ok heres one of the saliva quotes from Hagakure by Yamamoto Tsunetomo

"To calm ones mind, one swallows his saliva. This is a secret matter. When one becomes angry it is the same. Putting spittle on one's forehead is also good. In the Yoshida school of archery, swallowing one's spittle is the secret principle of the art."

I guess you would need to be crazy to be a samurai.

20. Cougar_v203

thats...odd.