Practicing Breaks

Discussion in 'Silat' started by OneWingedAngel, Dec 24, 2003.

1. OneWingedAngel

OneWingedAngel New Member

Hi all, I'm a practitioner of Silat Serak, and I had a question I was hoping someone could answer. In Serak, there are many moves, which, when done correctly, will result in a broken limb for your opponent. However, in training enviroments, it is best not to break partners limbs(you run out of partners real fast). So the question is this: outside of real combat experience, is there any good way to practice breaks? Maybe with a dumby with bambo "bones"? Is there anything good to simulate human bones with? Any help is appreciated.

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I don't know if this helps, but Korean Gumdo (sword arts) uses bamboo rods to simulate bone for cutting practice.

I would ask your instructor for what he would recommend. I've used wood and rebreakable boards to practice techniques, but it isn't the same as using the maneuver in a comabt/defense situation.

3. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

It depends on the type of breaks your doing. I mean which of your body parts are you using to accomplish the break and what body part is targeted for a break on the opponent?

A bone break or a joint dislocation can be called the same by some and taught as specific seperate techniques by others.

So are you wondering about bone breaks period like to the arms & legs or any bone/joint injury?

Let me know and I will give you some information on training certain types of bone breaks.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

4. Bobster

Bobster Valued Member

Hey, One Wing, is that a reference to Pak Serak??!?

As to breaks, the bones themselves take some doing. Personally, I say concentrate on the joints, they are easier to find & manipulate when the crap hits the fan. Find a good workout partner & explore the elbow, wrist & shoulder. Ask Pak Vic to show you the "body levers", these are where you can start to see what can be broken easily.

Djuru 16 has an awesome break motion in it, as well as Sambut 1. Others as well, of course, but these are my favorites.

Hormat,
    Bobbe Edmonds