Practice cutting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Kagebushi, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

i dont feel like spending 10+ dollars per tatami mat unless i have to, so how would those pool noodle thingies do? i've seen them used, but im not sure about whether there is much difference. any other inexpensive suggestions would be appreciated, too.

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

umm the difference between pool noodles and mats is.....the noodles areeasier to cut . Try empyty plastic bottles fille with water. and cardboard tubes And you can always buy those cheapon grass beach mats and use them.

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Why empty plastic bottles filled with water?

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Two ideas to cut costs (no pun intended) on your cutting practice:
    Try growing your own, and rolling your own (er....that's 'grow your own' bamboo, or 'roll your own' tatami mats, for tameshigiri)

First: try 'roll-your-own'.

East Coast Martial Arts Supply offers wholesale pricing on unrolled tatami mats (best price I've found so far), and instructions on how to roll them for cutting.

Second: Grow-your-own bamboo

Cut them green, and use within one month of cutting for best results. If you do not have a supply of bamboo close to you, and if you live somewhere near NJ/NY/PA/MD/DE, please PM me, as I know of someone locally who delivers fresh cut bamboo within this area. The biggest cost is the driving/delivery (35 cents per mile); the bamboo is dirt cheap at under $1 per cutting pole, when purchased in bundles of 50.

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

That's actually a very good way to stain and blunt your sword very quickly. It's better to use damp tatami omote or even rolled up beach mats, since they resemble a human body better than a plastic bottle full of water.

6. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

ooooooo cheap Tatami! cool.

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Crucible
    Bottles filled with water cuz they are cheap being a left over from when you consume some beverage contained therein, filled with water so it has stability and will not get knocked over when you strik eit.
    Gunyo Kogusoku
    I could say the same for using damp tatami mats. Damp things rust and staing faster than a wet thing. But you bring up an interesting point. if I may I owld like to create a thread on another forum I frequent about you thoughts.

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I use medieval european longsword for testcutting, and I use plastic/cardboard cans filled with water for my testcutting. Yes, things will rust unless you wipe it clear of water after every testcuttingsession. My longsword haven't been notably more blunt after approxemately 1000 bottles done in, but then again, I field a sword with an edge quite different than how I suspect a Katanaedge is (which -I believe -is somewhat similar to how a regular knife is sharpened?)

9. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

ah ok thanks everyone... ill have to wait for anything wet because i dun have a cleaning kit just yet, but i'll try the pool thingies. it probably not a bad idea to start easy anyway.