Practical TKD Self Defence Tips

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Thomas, Feb 20, 2004.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. I'd love to see some of these classes Thomas. Sounds like you run a really great operation mate.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Thankds for the kind words, but I just teach and the master instructor really guides it. It can be difficult however trying to fit the needs of all of the students. You get students who want to learn "a little self defence", students who want to do Olympic style sparring, and students who want to get into the philosophical/internal aspects of a martial art. It really can be a challenge to fit everything into a cohesive system. I amn just happy because I get to learn so much as well!

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hear ya. That's why I enjoyed the setup I used to have. My friend ran a WTF dojang. And he asked me to come in a couple of nights a week and run a class on kickboxing and kali. Different people preferred the structure of the regular program or the freestyle nature of my class. Others liked both. I'm a big believer in that university style of school now. Where you can pick "electives" that sound good to you.

Stuart

4. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Our club will soon be offering training in Muay Thai as well. Benefits of this for me are that I can concentrate more on the technique and applications side, with the Thai instructor beefing up their padwork and conditioning. It's not required that they go to this lesson but the additional cost is minimal and it starts straight after we finish so there's really no good excuse that they can give me (they're all single males :)).

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

If they can do a Muay Thai class right after yours Matt - you're not working them hard enough :Angel:

6. mattsylvester

Lol! Last night was all legs, the two white belts there looked like they were going to pass out at one point :)

I'll use the Tuesday to refine the defence techniques and their patterns, stuff that requires some ability to control :)

Starting BJJ soon as well on 25th August.

Interesting enough, having attended those two seminars with yourself, I find myself able to grapple much better against people who have had *no* grappling training at all. Which is cool because I defeated a commando recently :)

7. Thomas

Encourage sharing between styles

Last night, Matt Bernius came to visit and allowed us the opportunity to learn from him, practice our stuff on him and spar togtehr under different rules. The "little" things we picked up in 3 hours last night will pay off over and over in the ways we look at things.

Tip:
    Always open your doors up to people of other styles and encourage them to share (and learn from them).

Check out the write up in my journal: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/journal.php?do=view&journalid=1018

8. Thomas

Anyone else?

Any ideas from other styles on some drills, technqiues, exercises, etc that can be used in TKD classes to ensure good practical self defence training?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I did a search for "gauntlet" and came up empty. So maybe what I'm going to describe has already been discussed here. (It's been a while since I read this thread from the beginning.) But here goes:

What we called "the gauntlet" was any number of different exercises with one guy in the middle defending against different people coming from different directions on the outside.

In eskrima, they could generally be armed with whatever they wanted from the FMA arsenal (or unarmed). And everyone was numbered and then shuffled around. So the teacher could call out a number and you'd get rushed from someone coming from a random direction.

The results were never pretty. But you learned some decent reactions.

If you heard a number called and nobody moved in your immediate or peripheral vision, for example, you knew that someone was closing on you from behind fast. So you stepped off the line and turned to meet them. But then you didn't know whether they would have a knife, a stick, or a wicked round kick waiting for you.

Good fun.

Stuart

10. Thomas

This tip goes along with some of the others I made, but...

Tip: Some night bring in some sticks and arm yourselves. Begin sparring with open rules, allowing takedowns and strikes and go at with medium speed and focus on control (don't hurt your partner). If you end up on the ground, experiment using your stick on the ground and see how this changes your reactions, submissions, and how much you can strike. Can you apply submissions with your weapon? Will you need to drop your weapon at some point? etc.

Variation: add some folded up mats to create an uneven area to do this in and see how much that changes it.

11. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I don't quite get what you mean by snapping your wrist back, well I guess you just pull your hand back to where they were before the punch??? How does that generate more power???

12. kcatcher

kcatcher Banned Banned

If you are going to hit someone....

....hit them bloody hard.

13. mattsylvester

I only buy clothes that I can kick and punch in. If I can't I don't buy them.

I haven't trained for 13 years just to have my clothes impede me when I most need it!

14. Thomas

Nice post... I do as well. I have to wear slacks and a dress shirt for work (as well as dress shoes and a tie sometimes)... when I buy them I am careful abouyt having them fit loosely so I can move and I choose shoes that are comfortable, not likely to fall off, and with good traction. I also wear a heavy leather belt with a hard buckle that can be used as a weapon as well.

15. kcatcher

kcatcher Banned Banned

I find skirts too restrictive ;)

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

aren't you exaggerrating just a tiny little bit? :D :D :D :D :D

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's you. And that's good. But it doesn't reflect the "norm" I don't think.

Stuart

18. Thomas

Being in a thread "Practical Self Defence Tips", I think the point is more a suggestion to consider when buying clothes and deciding what to wear. Sometimes we do have to wear clothes that are tough to move in, like for me, a tuxedo... but when I got fitted, I asked for a bit of extra room so I could move easier. The fitter complied. It's just another part of "awareness".

19. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

wow... interesting... and holy crap! is that random continuous number calling? it's like being surrounded in a fight! except that you have no option to run away! :D

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah absolutely. But my take remains that I'm going to wear whatever helps we get the best out of my workout. So that when the inevitable degradation of skills takes place, I'm degrading from a high point. I don't think we can realistically take into account all the variables, even in our own wardrobe.

Stuart