Practical TKD Self Defence Tips

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Thomas, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Smokemare: Nice post!!!!!

Avoidance and awareness really are key features and need to be practiced. (Check ouit this thread here for suggestions: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6967&highlight=awareness) Also check out books like Geoff Thompson's Dead or Alive... really good read!

On the topic of blocks... I really agree with Smokemare on training defensive blocks... especially short notice ones like:

(1) Shin blocks... easy and quick to raise a shin to stop a low attack... remember to turn the body away fromn the attack as well and get your hands up.

(2) Normal talking in tense situations: you should have your hands up and open... this will signal non-agression but have your hands up and ready.

(3) Elbow blocks: low or side ones to attack incoming kicks or strikes and inside elbows to guard against a headbutt (if your hands are up you can turn the elbows in to the opponents headbutt)

(4) Dropping the head to take a strike on the crown or forehead instead of square in the face (again, last minute stuff)

(5) Practice quick palm blocks/redirection strikes and footwork to get you out of the way of a last second strike.

2. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

I agree so much with what Thomas and Smokesmare have said, and here's a bit of my take on the issue.

Since many practitioners of TKD do not have sufficient training in hand to hand combat, I will limit this to what practical applications I have found TKD (in the most general sense) has.

Unfortunately, I have found myself in altercations too many a time, and not always one on one, therefore strikes had to have as much impact as possible, and TKD offers them, just not in the exact method we train in.

Mantra = 'In and out as fast as possible'

Kicks: Roundhouse is all I use, even though my back kick is, seemingly, exponentially stronger. Footballers (soccer players) have an edge in adapting low-level roundhouses. I suggest practicing knee (sides) strikes by way of a roundhouse kick, with the intent of snapping their leg(s).

Hand Strikes: Straight to the throat, if possible, with a strike that resembles the choke-strike in Koryo poomse (or the hand position in Choongmoo <just before spinning 360 degree in the air>). If you are unfamiliar with these, then a simple fist to the Adam's apple (assuming your opponent is male). If this is the beginning of the altercation, open-handed is better, as stated, it's less offensive, and you can get the first shot in....by playing submissive.

Arm positioning, I agree, Muay Thai fighting stance is what I prefer. I too practiced joint-locks and throws, but each time I was involved in a situation, I resulted to the most basic of elements (listed above).

Of course, you can implement a slew of other tactics (such as head-butting, I do, and using the little 3oz canisters of hair spray to mimic the effects of mace), but am limiting this to TKDesque strikes.

*Note: These strikes should be practiced in situation appropriate contexts, that is, no long stance in the choke-strike, but walking stance. Obviously.

Cheers,

DH

3. Thomas

I like how you mention the poomsae in regarding self defence... as many of the techniques that we don't learn in "compeition style sparring" are maintained/reinforced in our forms... everything from the use of walking stances to low kicks and vital strikes.

When you are learning/practicing form, try doing them with a partner sometimes... and see how the parts fit.

4. Thomas

Here's another idea:
    Set up a scenario... for example, a street thug confronting the defender.

(1) Work the verbal and watch how the conflict grows... e.g.
    Potential Attacker: "What the $%%# are you looking at?"
    Defender: (ideally, avoids eye contact and walks away) or "Nothing..."
    Attacker: "You got a $@#$@ problem?"
    Defender: (hopefully has not risen to the bait and has avoided before getting to this point) or "just leave me alone"

(2) Eventually, if the defender stays long enough, the attacker will intigate closer proximity, maybe a push or a slap (and I like giving the defender a good solid slap and see how they respond).
    *At this point, if the defender doesn't break contact (or is not able), escalate the situation. (Allow roleplay of going to the door, calling for help, pulling out a cell phone)

(3) Increase contact. The attacker has determined to fight and will attack. Also, let the attacker carry a training knife or stick and use if they feel it's warranted (like they are getting beat up). Allow the defender to pick up improvised weapons if possible.

(4) Take the fight to the end and roleplay the situation of the police arriving... give your statement.

(5) Debrief the students: discuss what went well and what didn't. Brainstorm other situations.

Other options:
    - Allow the other students to play witnesses for the poice statement (for each side)
    - Make the defender have to protect a "friend" who is involved with the attacker (maybe as the attacker's girlfriend) or have the defender walking with a friend who cannot back down from a fight because "this guy is a black belt and he'll protect me."

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Excellent. And if you've got any cops at your school, you could get their input on the sorts of questions that get asked, what they look for, etc.

6. Thomas

Some more ideas:

- Practice the "sucker punch" while you are working on one steps. Have your partner throw a punch from behind with the old "grab your shoulder fro behind and spin you" approach. Work out some defences

- Open up sparring to allow sweeps, throws and take downs. Practice getting up without getting grabbed from behind or kicked in the head.

- In sparring, allow some people to carry training knives (or red markers) in their belts and pull them if they choose part way through.

- Practice one steps off a quick close jab! This is speed up your reaction time.

7. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

DISCLAIMER: Use a water soluable marker, or a t-shirt you don't mind marking up, cause you will get cut . . . . by the marker.

8. Thomas

Thanks!!!! I didn't want to get any dry-cleaning bills in the mail!

*Also, to clarify about working jabs in a one-step type set up, make sure you use both lefts and rights... both sides need to be worked.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  9. Artikon

NP Thomas, we use the marker drill every now and then to simulate knife attacks and to work on control. It's actually amazing how many little marks show up on your clothes that you don't realize hit.

About the jab in one step too. I used your suggestion last week with our advanced color belts, it was actually quite interesting to watch the natural progression they took, especially if they missed the initial parry and had to react to keep their face intact.

I eventually had to build it into a 1 for 1 drill since they had already progressed past the basic one step idea, and were beginning to counter the counter.

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Unfortunately there are people who think that forms are there just that we could move around a little bit. In The Taekwondo Textbook by Kim Jeong you can find some really good stuff. In the section about forms, forms are divided into parts and their purpose is always demonstrated by two practitioners.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Survivor's Guide to Close-Quarters TKD

- Know your ranges. Long range is for kicks, mid-range for punches and knifehand-type strikes, and close range for elbows, knees, head-butts and biting.

- Because elbow strikes require little room to execute, are powerful and can be done vertically, horizontally and at an angle, they're ideal for close range.

- Punches are great mid-range linear techniques and are most effective against an opponent coming straight at you. Use your first two knuckles as contact points, and for added power, snap your wrist back after making contact.

- The hook punch is a close-range technique delivered in an arc-like fashion. It's perfect for reaching around an opponent's arm as he tries to shield his face.

- The palm strike is a practical self-defence tool because little expertise is required to deliver it and you're less likely to injure your hand.

- With all strikes, you must coordinate your breathing and kihap as you execute the move. In addition to pumping energy into the technique, it empties the air from your lungs. Then, if you're at the receiving end of a strike, you won't get the wind knocked out of you.

12. Thomas

Artikon: I'm glad the idea worked out for you! We also worked it with a kind of "free style" hand techniques. Set up with a partner and take turns throwing a hand technique with the other guy countering. Not knowing if it's lead or rear arm, jab/cross/hook, slap, etc makes it really challenging. Most people will work avoiding first but with practice you can start rolling them into joint locks and such!

Neryo_tkd: Nice post!!!!

13. Artikon

Thomas: Yes I've been having them do that. Working with different angles of attack and different technqies (jab/cross mostly). Tons of fun, first couple times I did these drills, we put on head gear and just worked on a slap. You miss the block or misread where it's coming from and your one ear gets smacked. We use head gear for safety reasons, but it's still a good reminder getting smacked that way. I managed to get hit a couple time too, was a ton of fun :D

Neryo: Indeed great tips. May I add another.

-Know your strengths, and your weaknesses. A good striker will want to continue striking. Work on ways to escape grappling or clinching situations to help get your back into your zone of strength. The same goes for any zone of combat (standup, clinch, grapple, ground) Understand ways of shifting and adapting through each level to put yourself in a commanding position.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How much importance do you guys lend to training in street shoes? Training in jeans? Etc.

I know the standard logic is that you should train in jeans and sneakers sometimes to get used to the feel of it. But I'm not sure I buy the logic.

Stuart

15. supervole

supervole New Member

Why don't you buy the logic?

I've not done any training in street clothes, but I can see why its done. Some clothes wouldn't make much difference, but jeans would definatly feel a lot different to train in, and the familiarity that you would gain in this training would definatly help you in the tense situation of a street encounter.
    Mev.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

But how far are you prepared to follow that logic? The logic goes that you'll be wearing street clothes when you get into a scrap. So all the young guys show up in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers.

How many businessmen show up in tailored suits and dress shoes? How many women show up in skirts or heels? How many students show up wearing heavy backpacks?

How great of an approximation is it really?

Stuart

17. eudobex

eudobex New Member

if you just want to fight then you might as well do kickboxing, if you want to be a really good fighter, but also learn how to control it, and avoid a fight in the first place then do a martial art. But I also think that if you do a martial art for a long time, you can improve eminsly by starting another martial art as well. I got my Black belt in Tae Kwon Do, then started nijutsu and I have improved so much through doing that, as I get to see it at a different angle, and it teaches me other things, like relaxing into moves, and useing less strenght and more simple technique, I can now save much more energy in sparring by not wasteing my energy on being tense. I have also heard from other people who do more than one martial art and they say that they all improve one another.

1st Dan

18. Thomas

In my opinion, it's a realy good idea and something we do sometimes, but not often. I do however, when I teach kicks, emphasize how you have to modify your kicks depending on your footwear. I like training in my uniform and I buy street clothes that allow my full range of motion (and I avoid most jewelry and such).

Footwear is a big consideration... many of my students work construction and often wear steel toed workboots. Because of this, I do teach strikes with the top of the toe (modified front kick, slap kick) and also prcatice shin rakes, strikes with the botoom of the foot (ridges of boot) and so on.

I think this should be a "Practical Self Defence Tip":
    -Try to train sometimes in street clothes and shoes... see if your favorite techniques work for you in this case. Try it sometimes with winter clothes or with your hands full (carrying a bag or breifcase).

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Maybe as an extension of that logic, then, people could practice whipping their high heels off in smooth fashion. Or taking off a backpack without getting pummeled. Etc. Using a briefcase as a shield perhaps.

Work boots yeah. Work books are practically built to be weapons. :)

20. Thomas

Sometimes we talk about women's footwear (my comment: don't wear anything you can't fight in... the female instructor disagrees though!) and there are some neat things that can be done with heels, I guess.

We have occassionally used a normal belt for training and I sometimes will take my rank belt off and use it in class. Hapkido does offer some training in one handed responses, specifially if you are carrying a breifcase in one hand. I think your suggestions are really good, though and i will give them a try in class one of these days! Thanks!