Practical Taekwondo-Back to the Roots

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Bootneck6, Dec 16, 2008.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Yeah.. it lasted 2 years with 2 different groups, but it was a pain TBH, but it also helped me understand just how difficult it must have been for certain pioneers trying to teach 1,000 raw recuits TKD, with just 1 instructor and a pistol so those at the back knew when to begin!

Stuart

2. StuartA

Its the fact they have to be trained that gives the advantage IMO. If everything slotted in naturally, everyone would be a black belt!

As I said, I see line work (mostly boring) and patterns as different beasts. Patterns with no more emphasis than looking good for a grading or comp can of course end up boring, but with the follow on of applications, they become a lot more interesting. Perhaps they never got to study this area.. if in a large org, it wouldnt surprise unless the individual instructor did it off his own back. Furthermore, if thats what they did all the time (and I know some clubs do, with like 1 sparring session a month) it could have all got boring for sure. Still, it doesnt mean they have made fair comment on patterns, just the club they were at!

You mean the reasons they practiced it at their clubs were flawed.. as they are with most clubs/orgs.. the reason for practicing patterns (IMO) are pretty sound, now we understand their purpose properly. that said, perhaps they should have done a bit of homework and ended up at a kick boxing club with no patterns/kata before they took something up!

I feel the exact opposite, I think the next generations will understand the practice of patterns, coupled with applications and embrace it more.. at least I hope so!

Stuart

3. StuartA

Amen. Though to be honest, I tend to get the opposite reaction. I had a guy go to Uni and he took up martial arts there and it helped him appreciate what we do compared to other places, so much so he rang him mum and told her to enrol his younger sister with us and not even bother looking elseware!

Stuart

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Personally I would question the utility of trying to teach 50+ people a rising block all at once. Rather than equating such a job as validating teaching dead techniques by rote I'd look at that as evidence that you can't actually teach fighting skills very well to large groups of people.

5. StuartA

Hey... teaching 50+ was hard.. but I wasnt paying the bills, they were :)