Practical Karate Tournament

Discussion in 'Karate' started by hewho, Mar 19, 2018.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Does anybody have any experience with these tournaments? Practical and Applied Karate Tournaments - P.AK.T. - Shogun Practical Karate
    The vertical grappling component particularly interests me, striking and throwing while keeping limb control, their next event is in October and I think I'll be giving it a go.

Starting to train with my karate instructor under this rule set, and practising clinch work with some Thai fighters that I know, and we'll see how it goes :)

Vince Millett likes this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

IIRC these events are really new and the first one only happened recently. Ian Abernethy is involved in some way (judging I think) and I love what that man does with martial arts so find this new development really interesting.

hewho likes this.
  3. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Wow! A fascinating rule set for the grappling kumite. It's good to see karate getting back to its practical martial arts roots.

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Yeah, I've been wanting to compete in Karate for a while, but frankly the idea of the bouncy, sport karate stuff just fills me with dread. This sounds good, and I'm hoping to use it to get back into competing in striking.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Have you looked into Kudo?

6. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I hadn't, and now I've spent half an hour watching it! :O Would definitely like to have a crack at that, but would need much, much more sparring first!

Van Zandt and Vince Millett like this.
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, look up kudo, Kyokyshin, Enshin or Ashihara karate styles. Have a look on YouTube for Sabaki Challenge too. :)

hewho and Vince Millett like this.
  8. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

This was the 1st time that this particular event, (P.A.K.T) which was created by Doug O'Connell, ever took place. It was intended as a new format of compititon, to better replicate the principles of a more practical application of the art (as opposed to strictly sport karate for instance)

The interest was actually pretty high on the day, and as you say, there are already more planned, so I'd expect (hope) to see this event grow.

Good luck in October!

Travess

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'd love to see some film of the tournament.

Looking at the rules for applications and padwork it looks quite prescriptive; it seems to specify exactly what a competitor must do, though I may be misreading them.

The standing grappling does sound interesting, but again it would be great to see clips to get a better understanding of it.

Definitely an interesting development :)

10. Travess

Looking at the attached video, it would appear that there are definitely pre-set combinations on the pad drills, if that is what you meant?

Joe Goju Ryu Saunders

FYI the striker in the above clip appears to have a broken hand!

Travess

Mitch and axelb like this.
  11. Travess

This is a public clip posted via FB, over the grappling final, that took place on the day.

Shin ai do Karate United Kingdom

Travess

Mitch, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

So silly question, does this clip represent the same format? I read the rules and they list the starting/reset position as :

9g) Competitors will start from a neutral clinch position with one hand on the back of each other’s head and the other on each other’s bicep. This will also be the reset position after a break has been forced or implemented.

I don't think that this was ever the position in the stand up grappling in the clip. You see the head and the rib cage being the contact points rather than the biceps (well I did see black grab the bicep once but mostly I saw arms wrapped around the persons back. Did they miss this or was this changed after? Certainly would affect some of the techniques that were performed.

LFD

13. Travess

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to answer any questions - The above clips are just a couple from a handful that I have seen, that seemed relevant to Mitch's enquiry.

Travess

14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I did, and spent the night sobbing because I'm nowhere near that standard yet! Looks TOUGH! Interesting that the kudo rules allow for headbutts due to face protection!

Yeah, I think there are various set combos to learn by heart. Having seen a video I wouldn't be fussed about entering that category, but to each their own. Both that and the kata category specify that the competitor must look for escape routes during the time, which is an interesting idea.
    If I compete I'll do my best to get it filmed.

I think, with it being the first non in house tournament, it's possible it was something the judge missed, although I may be wrong! But yes, that clip is the vertical grappling.

Late for dinner and Mitch like this.