Practical Aikido - Makotokai Videos

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by makotokai, Jun 1, 2011.

1. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Here are some more vids from Sensei Coyles Memorial Seminar.
    In the first clip David looks at the Sword Principles applied to hand techniques.
    In the second Chris demonstrates how these principles produce openings in a practical situation.
    In the third I'm demonstrating these principles against kicks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgzI9geoLNo"]YouTube - ‪Sword Principles.mov‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDp2FGVwnzs"]YouTube - ‪Atemi.mov‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_GrrpMsOAs"]YouTube - ‪Aikido against kick‬‏[/ame]

Anyone else have practical Aikido vids?
    Gerry

2. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

As I said before just awesome MARTIAL Aikido. MORE PLZ

3. dentoiwamaryu

Amazing what is possible when UKE actually attacks for the sake of attacking instead attacking so he can be thrown.

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

All the youtube videos not showing up on MAP right now, but those ones work. Koyo is watching over us :D

(also, excellent stuff :))

5. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Yeah, absolutely. Having powerful attacks from an uke that is also maintaining
    His own kamae, is the only way to pressure test our principles.
    Gerry.

6. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Really nice vids, Sensei Coyle must be looking down with pride, good Aikido principles.

7. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Good stuff.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

great videos.

9. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Aikido needs more vids on youtube like this.

10. thauma

thauma Valued Member

Nice to see more practical Aikido. As a practitioner of jiujitsu rather than Aikido I am often disappointed with many of the videos I see of martial arts (jitsu included), but good attacks make for good defence.

The techniques to my mind may not be 'pretty' or stylised, but they are much more practical.

Thanks for sharing

11. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Again, great stuff. If I'm ever up in Glasgow you can be sure of a visit

12. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Practical Techniques.

Here's some footage of the use of Sword Principles to aid in atemi.
    We always emphasise that it is our body movement that protects us, rather than something like a block on the attacking arm.
    Again fundamental to Aikido is the "Attack and defense are one" principle. We use our body movement to protect us while striking and unbalancing our partner at the same instant.

Anyone use this principle in thier own art?

These clips also remind me why I was in so much pain after the seminar:confused: good times!!
    Gerry

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DH_j97krFc"]YouTube - ‪Gerry Sword Priciples‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPzuLs7d3B0"]YouTube - ‪Chris Atemi.mov‬‏[/ame]

13. embra

embra Valued Member

Sword principles:- I never got enough of this first time round in Aikido. The second spat (which has unfortunately petered out - mostly due to travelling to work in France and now studies) did start to get into this, but it would take me a couple of years of consistent practise to root it in. I will have to factor in a 3rd epoch somehow.

However, if we ignore the Aikido maai, I have encountered similar principles in FMA and TaiChiChuan weapons (but different - saber is single handed in both and cuts tend to be more like yokomen than shomen.)

Whole body movement with evasion and simultaneous attack and defence - armed or unarmed:- fundamental to everything I do whether in FMA, TaiChiChuan, Aikido or anything else - otherwise a skinny geezer like me becomes a kebab - and I have no intention of going on the spit any time soon.:)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  14. embra

embra Valued Member

Where Aikido really is usefull in relation to these principles, is the systematic and codified nature of its teaching, probably mostly due to Saito Shihan's work.

Slim made here on MAP, possibly the best descriptions available in English i.e. for the western mind, the embodiment of these principles.

15. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Great videos Gerry.

You're a credit to your sensei.

16. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Had there been this kind of aikido near me I would actually think about signing up. Nice videoes. I'm sure your teacher would be proud.

17. Giovanni

watched the second "chris atemi" video again. i LOVE the punch to the ribs about 50 seconds in. ouch! very powerful stuff when combined with irimi nage.

also, how the hell do you scottish guys understand each other? is that english? :rolleyes:

18. dentoiwamaryu

LOL no its Scottish

19. Chris Banks

Chris Banks Valued Member

Hey Giovanni and I thought I was speaking quite politely. :)

20. Giovanni

you were speaking quite well. and the aikido, the important part, was (is) amazing.

i was poking fun only for levity. i've been accused of having a nasty chicago accent. cheers.