Power lifting and Conditioning Query.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Geordie Boy, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi All,

I have been guilty of bodybuilding. I then changed and began powerlifting - Monday-Bench (and Assitance exercises) Wednesday-deadlift (+assistance) friday - Squats (+assistance).

However i have now been told even that is not right for MA's.

I confess i do like weights and want to train three times a week.
    I also do Ma's twice a week. And want to train on pure conditioning and fitness twice a week.

So should i do Deadlifts, squat ,bench press, pull ups,dips, clean and jerk three times a week.Or should i do Leg presses, flyes etc aswell. Can some one give me a bit of a guide.

Also any one got any really good fitness workouts - either running up stairs or shuttle runs. Just something to get my fitness and stamina up. Something i can do on my own, and will really get me working.

Cheers Guys

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i put 6 times a week in gym...
    for fitness n stamina there's not much better things than shadow boxing. simple easy no fuss...
    -TkdWarrior-

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Six times a week? Your workouts aren't very effective then... :)

As far as power lifting goes, I'm not too sure. But, I do know that a guy I get to wrestle with occasionally does some power lifting and he's only 65kgs while I'm 80kgs and he's far stronger than me.

4. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-Hope I can help. I was a national-level competitor in both bodybuilding and powerlifting for 7 years. As a martial artist, keep a well-balanced routine. Train large muscles first and train along your natural strength curve. Keep to basic movements w/ high inesity/ low volume workouts(low total sets). Use excellent form and full range of motion and make sure you include reps in the 20+, 12-15, and 6 rep range so that you work each specific adaptation of the muscle. Finally, I'd recomend Bill Phillip's book-BODY FOR LIFE for a great cardio routine as well as some good guidelines for nutrition to support the extra workload.