Power generation for close in striking

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rebel Wado, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I was told by one very tall instructor twenty-five some years ago that I had good infighting skills but needed to improve on my longer ranged fighting skills. Throughout the years much of my training has been in that direction. However, I did not lose focus on infighting.

In a recent thread in the Aikido forum, I sounded like a broken record reiterating power generation methods in order to describe close in striking power methods. Rather than repeat even more, I wanted to create this thread in the General forum to address this topic and get feedback.

For understanding close in power in striking, first a little background on power generation methods for striking:

1) All power generation is a combination of different methods working together. The context determines which method would be the most practical to use as the primary source of power. Briefly, the methods are stepping, leaning, torso twisting, weight shifting, and rising power from hips and legs. Weight shift is almost always used, but in addition usually one or two other methods are also added for power.

2) The most powerful method is stepping or movement power used in longer ranged striking. This must be combined with proper body alignment. The bigger the step forward, the more power. The sharper the triangle (for example the triangle formed by the fist and the two shoulders), the more power. The lead hand striking using falling step is an example (primarily using stepping power, but adding leaning and weight shift and a small amount of torso twist power), and there are many other examples of striking along one line. The issue with stepping power is that the bigger the step, the more power, but also the more perfect the timing has to be. You come from outside striking range and step into striking range, requiring great timing against a moving target.

3) When within striking range, stepping power is still used but the step becomes much smaller. One of the most powerful punches from within striking range is the overhand right. It primarily uses torso twist power, but adds in good power from stepping and leaning, and there is still a weight shift. Another powerful strike from this range is the shovel hook which primarily uses the torso twist power and the rising power of the hips and legs, and weight shift. There is not much power from stepping or leaning with a shovel hook. The issue with overhand right and shovel hook is that they actually can hit too hard, potentially hitting bone and causing self injury such as a broken hand. The right cross is less powerful but uses basically the same components for power, just not as much. The right cross is generally considered a safer strike that still can have knockout power. It can be said that torso twist power is primarily going to generate the most power when you cannot take a bigger step for power. One of the keys to torso twisting power is using proper pivot points, such as in front of the opposite hip.

4) Now if you need striking power even closer in (call this clinching range), all you need to do is use a shorter weapon such as a hook or elbow or a more straight up (6 to 12) uppercut. Hook primarily uses torso twist for power but you want to either add in leaning power or rising hips and leg power. Uppercut is primarily rising hips and leg power, but some torso twist power should be added.

All of the above combine the different methods of power generation in a progression... stepping at longer range with alignment when possible, then torso twist closer in with proper pivot points, then even closer in, more rising power from hips and legs OR leaning power (downward power).

So finally, after all the above said... we are at infighting. What methods combine for power in striking at very close ranges. The primary source of striking power for close infighting is going to be either rising hips and leg power OR leaning power (downward power). This does not mean that other methods do not add power, just that they are usually not the primarily method in infighting.

Here is an example of the concept:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyRPAQRMo0"]Human Weapon Krav Maga - Bursting - YouTube[/ame]

By the way, I really don't like the technical descriptions done by "Human Weapon" show, they just are full of flaws... but the concept is still there. I prefer this video as a demonstration:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo5Na1x6sAc"]Chiba Sensei - YouTube[/ame]

As explained to me, rising power is like when you lift something up and conversely, the downward power is like when you apply CPR to someone (you are just dropping your weight a few inches using the correct weapon for the target).

Now all of the above is nice, but it is not true when in the Human Weapon video it implies that no torso rotation is used. A key to power is how to add in the torso twist power with minimal visible torso rotation.

This was explained to as using the principle of independent movement. The shoulders and hips move independently of the waist, but there is a connection. This connection is that the waist changes direction slightly before the shoulders and hips follow. This creates torque that is used with proper pivot points to not just generate more power but also allow for repeated striking with little to no recovery time between strikes. Instead of a one shot cannon, now you are a 50-caliber machine gun.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

To add to the thread, we talk about and practise 9 different power generation methods:

1/ Body mass displacement (equivalent to your stepping power, i think?)
    2/ hip rotation
    3/ and 4/ Opening and closing of the joints (particularly shoulder and hip)
    5/ and 6/ Expansion and compression
    7/ and 8/ rising and falling
    9/ vibrational/explosive (explained to me as equivalent to fa-jing, but the way I currently try to do it mechanically feels like combining methods 2-8 in the one instant, so I'm probably doing it wrong)

Of course, it is perfectly allowable to combine several at the same time too.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Nice list.

Body mass displacement would be stepping power but also weight shift.

Hip rotation power I did not mention specifically, it falls under using proper pivot points. A very important concept for power generation to ensure the force is going through the target and not away.

Opening and closing joints has to do with building structure. I did not specifically list it, but it is important. I consider it part of proper alignment and the relationships between hips and shoulders, knees and elbows, feet and hands... so that there is a connection between the ground (foot) and punch (hand) at the point of impact.

Expansion and compression is an interesting concept I identify more with Eastern martial arts than Western martial arts. This is a very important area that I think goes along with Yin and Yang. At the most basic technique level, I consider it to be how we move at the hips. Hips forward or hips back for instance.

Rising and falling = rising power from hips and legs, falling is leaning power (although you do not have to lean if going straight down with something like a downward elbow).

Vibration/explosive I only touched on with creating torque by leading with the waist (center) and following with the hips and shoulders. There is much more to it. There breath, such as leading with the breath... and then the whole "Fill yourself with Ki" idea of having the spirit lead the mind and body from a relaxed state into an explosion.

These are my take, IMHO, on the topics.

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Rebel, a lot of what you are describing is descriptive of TaiJiQuan as well.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I don't understand.Opening/closing is not about building structure,nor part of proper alignment. They're physical actions when issuing. That's like saying snapping the hip is about building structure.

Now maybe there's a misunderstanding on my part of the terminology.Thing is I don't recall 30+ years ago hearing/reading anyone other than CMA (or related systems) people mention opening and closing of joints. So it has a distinct MA meaning for me which is not about bending/unbending.However if that's what was meant by MG then forget what I wrote above.
    Not sure what MG meant here.Expansion/compression the way some Shotokan means it (body as sponge),or elongation/contraction of specific soft tissues?
    I think "leaning power" is a misnomer. You can issue down at a forward or backward angle without leaning.Not to say some degree of inclination isn't what often happens,just not a requirement.
    What is defined as explosive and/or vibratory issuing is dependent on the specific MA. For CMAs at least it demands some of the opening/closings and elongations/contractions,the total number of and which types will vary between systems and level of the practitioner. Plus you may be leading with the waist,your hip fold, it may begin in the feet,etc.Different methods. Plus it may be be executed as a wave through the body or everything literally happening at once.

Which is why that particular subject is best explained as system specific methods. There's no general agreement on the "how". One system's issuing may just be a method of "gross" shaking, others may entail more mechanics,others much more.

Good posts in the other thread that led to this,btw.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Chida Sensei straight up bitch-slapped that guy!

7. embra

embra Valued Member

It may look like a bitch-slap and yes in this case, there is that effect. However, the cutting power that someone like Chiba in his prime could deliver, has to be experienced to be believed - it can literally knock you clean to the ground - without any break fall.

If you study the Chiba vid carefully, you can see that Chiba has deliberately entered very forcefully because the uke has made a momentarily mistake of not guarding his centre-line sufficiently.

To all those that think Aikido breakfalls are all just Aikibunnies prancing about for no good reason, they are developed for survival. Some locks (especially double joint locks like Koshinage, shiho-nage) will snap your bones in 2 if not effectively blended in breakfall.

Chiba Shihan (to give him his correct title) and the uke Terry Ezra (also Shihan now, from Liverpool and as tough as nails) are both still practicing, but somewhat more chilled out these days, as is Sakumeikan (Shihan Joe Curran) who posts here from time to time.

I am well past Aikido now as my back and spine can't take breakfalls like this any more.

There is a whole art and purpose to developing ukemi, but I will leave it someone else to better express this.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. embra

embra Valued Member

The cutting comes from Aikiken. There is also a kind of stabbing strike that comes from Aikijo. The two forces combine along the lines described by Rebel, to produce Aikido's atemis.

Combined with evasion and pre-emption these atemis are not pleasant to be on the end of, hence develop ukemi breakfall. At close-range, Aikido atemi more or less reaches its limit of effectiveness i.e. it is essentially a long and medium range art with some closing.

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

To my understanding (what I have been taught), opening/closing joints is sometimes referred to as "joint power". Unlocking the potential energy of the joints. I consider this part of building structure.

Part of structure is the relationships between joints, pivot points, and alignment. So taking a karate punch, there is a relationship between the hips and shoulders so you open the hips and this powers the shoulders. When you open the knee, this powers the elbow.... all the way down to the toes and fingers so that the power from the ground transfers to the power into the target from the strike.

I'm not saying that I am correct, know it all, or anything like that... only that is what I believe to be true at this time. There is much more to the subject than I understand.

I had a more simplified teaching of this. Basically don't over extend and don't collapse. However, get your opponent to over extend and collapse together. Basically, I was taught this is how to add the force of the opponent to your power.

I was shown things like moving the hips but keeping within the hip track. So a lot of what I learned was about hip movement.

Leaning power is a Western term. I would be told never to lean in karate. So it is a misnomer. Downward power is probably a better term. I was shown to always strike down in boxing with straight punches (jab/cross). This is not to mean leaning where I lose balance should I miss. It is more subtle in the follow through and engages more power from the shoulder into the strike.

This is a huge can of worms. Basically I only have bits and pieces of this. What I found most important was to "fill myself with ki" or in other words, allow the spirit to lead from a relaxed state into explosion.

Only a piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the post too.

10. Pretty In Pink

It did look like a pretty hard shot. If all Aikidoka hit like that they might win a few challenge matches now and again :p

That bit in bold, does that include resisting opponents or...?

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Nice post. I agree with what you say, but the "some closing" could be interpreted in different ways. To me, when unarmed, there is always closing... but you don't have to move to the opponent completely, they do much of the work themselves... in the end, you are point-blank (grappling range). IMHO.

12. embra

embra Valued Member

I can't see Aikidokas cutting it in MMA unless trained in some serious kickboxing/MuayThai and some BJJ/Judo/rolling/wrestling - they are just two very different ballparks.

Chiba (when he was a young hot-head) was actually 'defeated' by a renown Baguazhang master Wang Shu Jin round about 1960 or so in Japan, in an informal tourney. References to this event can be found on Internet. Hannibal is a big admirer of Wang Shu Jin.

As for the joint-locks and resistance, well it depends on the type of resistance. Anyone daft enough to start changing/switching the joint attack mid-way (which you would do in a competition) is likely to cause serious accidents, which could result in joint breakage. To develop the techniques effectively power has to be imparted into the attacks and blended with in breakfall - this means strong power - but without tension, so that you can keep the movement, principle and technique alive and not just land like a sack of old potatoes in a clump.

Good ukemi means always staying in the movement - so that the potential of reversal is always there.

13. embra

embra Valued Member

If double-joints are locked, there is no resisting - joints will break with even small linear force applied. Combined with rotational force, there are no break falls, just realising how to get out safely.

Locks are largely opportunistic, but you have to watch out for locking your own posture and focus up when executing a lock - as a central tenet of Aikido is to be able to deal with more than 1 attacker, and for this you must remain mobile.

14. embra

embra Valued Member

Aikidoka generally don't grapple as such in the same way as say BJJ, but Taiqijuan does develop grappling at close quarters via pushing hands.

Correction:- Taijiquan gets into competitive close quarter grappling - for those training martial TJQ - maybe 5% of the total TJQ population.

For close quarter boxing FMA is probably about the best.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

In BJJ as best as I can sense, arm-bars are single joint locks and on the ground. The jointlocks of shiho-nage and koshinage are double joint locked and loaded for projection/throwing - once the uke has been fully unbalanced.

Resisting when unbalanced on two or more joints when thrown, will result in fracture/breakage.

16. Pretty In Pink

That first point is a bit of a straw man. If anything joint is in the fully locked position then there is no resisting. Getting that position is surely the hard part? ^^

17. embra

embra Valued Member

Competively, yes it will be difficult. The training of some Aikido techniques lead into joint locks. The hardest part of Aikido is probably unbalancing the opponent.

Once you have an eye for locking structures, they can come somewhat more opportunistically e.g. outward wrist joint lock on an FMA knife disarm and combine it with an underneath opposing strike/cut to the elbow in the opposite direction; and hey presto double-joint lock. I have managed this without taking the elbow explicitly - as long as wrist lock kind of spirals as the attack comes towards you - and as you evade - so that the elbow turns the other way from the wrist.

It takes development and training partners interested in it.

18. embra

embra Valued Member

If a joint is single locked, it is 'relatively' easy to escape/reverse from. You can kind of fold yourself around a single lock. A double lock is much more difficult to fold out of.

19. embra

embra Valued Member

Once double locked, it is very easy to attack the entire central nervous system of the opponent.

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Is that technical gibber for "thump em in the head"?