Potential Judo newbie/Taking up Judo for self defence?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Hang_The_DJ, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Perhaps he's going to pass up Judo...

[​IMG]

For YOGA...

[​IMG]

:)

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

To be blunt. The judo guys look tough.

The yoga?..bring it on !!!

3. Hang_The_DJ

Hang_The_DJ Valued Member

Thanks for the info guys, alot more helpful stuff for me here.:)

I looked up Sambo in my area but unfortunately I only managed to find one class and that seemed to mix it into a general 'MMA class'.

I like the sound of Japanese Jujitsu and was entertaining thoughts of possibly cross-training it with Judo in the long-term (assuming a bit ahead of course :)), but I wasn't sure whether the styles would be too similiar to each other to see that as a worthwhile choice, considering they share that style lineage link?

I've so far found the Jitsu Foundation's Manchester branch (encompassing classes with University of Manchester and Manchester Met. Uni) at http://www.manchesterjitsu.org/
    I've read threads on here and on Bullshido recently that both had mixed opinions on the Jitsu Foundation (main critisism seemed to be lack of sparring/randori/'aliveness'), which put me off slightly at the time. They look great to me however, but I'd be interested to see what the general Jujitsu practioner's take on them is..?

From my readings, it looks like they seem to be classed as an almost separate entity from traditional JJJ too, is that be right or are they universally accepted as part of Japanese Jujitsu?

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Some of my students have come from the Jitsu world ..they are good students

they have all the basics and techniques....just learnt slightly differently ..

Go along and try it ...each club will vary in their emphasis on sparring, randori etc

Good luck

Smurf

5. Hang_The_DJ

Thanks again then Alan, the Jitsu Foundation look fine to me, but like I say, I'm no expert on Ju Jitsu/Judo so it's reassuring to hear good things about them from a fellow JJJ practiioner. :)

It's a shame that the Uni clubs have 'broken up' as it were for Easter now, but it's meant I've gone off and searched for other Ju Jitsu classes in the area and I've just found one that's not too far from me.

But I'll make a thread about that in the JJJ forum now, as it feels like I'm hijacking the Judo board with all my talk of Ju Jitsu here. lol

On the Judo side, I'm currently looking one of the other non-Uni associated classes that I've found so far, hopefully next week if I get chance.

6. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Judo is a beautiful art.

I have used it only once in the only street fight I had and it worked fine enough to safe my highly-valued buttocks :hat:

I highly recommend that you compete if you decide to take Judo. At first it'll be intimidating, but it will spiritually strengthen you.

You'll have loads of fun on the way there too.

7. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings each
    Have a go at both .Must admit I'm greedy and I rob people of their knowledge and have ended up practicing quite a few different arts.not paticularly good at any of them .but it warms my hara and keeps me a happy chappy :)

8. Hang_The_DJ

Sorry for the delay in replying folks, it's taken a bit longer than planned to get into trying a style out. :)

I opted for Judo in the finish and had my first lesson last month, it's obviously a different experience to what I was used to previously with my kung fu 'background', but it's a very exciting start to the style that I've had so far.

One of the main things that struck me was how much ground work is done, which was against my pre-conception of Judo as a mostly 'throwing' art. I was also slightly surprised by how much I enjoyed the ground work and feel I've learnt techniques already maybe. :)

The art of throwing is something that seems to take alot of practice though, my approach footwork in particular needs work, I know roughly what I'm supposed to be doing to throw someone, but everything has to be near-perfect to be successfully performed it seems, which can be frustrating.

I feel like I've already made small progress in all the different things I'm being taught though, which is encouraging, and it seems like a great style so far.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Glad you're enjoying yourself. The amount of groundwork done in Judo can vary immensely between clubs. My clubs tends to do around a 50/50 split of throws/groundwork. I love groundwork, but then I do BJJ as well, so I find I pick up the groundwork much more quickly than the throws.

10. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

My Sensei is 66 and reckons he has only gotten about 6 -10 perfect throws in his long career on the mats !!!!

I know at least 2 of them were on me !!

Perfection is down to the individual , you will improve with practice but remember you ahve to learn to crawl then walk then run and hopefully one day SPRINT !!

As long as you are enjoying yourself no matter what art go for it, I am pleased you found your niche

regards

Smurf

Attached Files:

11. Jiu JitsuNation

Jiu JitsuNation Valued Member

Nice pics. Think i'm gonna take up yoga!

12. Hang_The_DJ

Thanks for the replies folks.
    BJJ too? I certainly wouldn't fancy sparring with you on the ground Frodo! :D

I've not asked my fellow practitioners or teacher much about competitions yet (one step at a time as you say Alan :)), though it has been mentioned to me a couple of times that grading in Judo these days is done more with theory than via competitions? I've not had chance to ask in class about why that is yet.

Thanks Alan, I know no martial art can be learnt over night and my teacher told me on the first lesson that Judo especially is something that requires alot of practice, and I can see that with all my 'imperfections' so far. :)
    It is indeed still very early days for me yet though, but I'm really enjoying it so far. :)

and lol @ Jiu JitsuNation. :D

13. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Hi I do kung fu as well and have just started Judo. Went to a class on Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

So much so that I am going to keep going and am trying to find some other local bja clubs so I can go more than once a week if possible.

14. stephacts238

stephacts238 Valued Member

These posts deffinatly make me look forward to my first judo club visits this weekend

15. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

It's a load of fun and a change of pace, especially if you come from a more traditional sport/MA. Even with months of cardio/weight lifting and some HIIT I threw up my first 2 Judo classes.

Keep in mind you will be sore. And if you aren't then you're not doing it right =]. Get used to taking long hot baths!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  16. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Also, make sure you take the time to learn to breakfall, you'll need it.