Posting videos for peer review.

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joe V., Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Hi Josh, you appear to me to be a good guy, straight forward and sincere and I apologize if I upset you by some of my comments on Mr. Geary. Josh, I don't even like to get involved in the mudslinging. I rarely ever do unless I'm brought into it, either directly or indirectly. Like you, I've simply come forward to defend my lineage as Mass. president of the KGS BBS and on the other end, a former private student and close personal friend of Prof. Cerio. Believe me, I know how you feel and sympathize when those close to you are bashed!

Josh, you asked about when this thing with Geary is going to end. I would like to see it end too. Here's a suggestion. CNG's Shaolin Kempo Karate website is respectfully done to all seniors mentioned. Now, I may not agree with his 'humility' to say the least but that's his own thing. To quote Geary's mentor Hanshi Angel, "You mind your store and I'll mind mine." I'll agree on that! However, his 'other' website is so contradictory. On one site you would never know there was any problem, very respectful with Geary and his seniors BUT on the other, all these unfounded allegations are made and you can clearly see the bad blood. You can't have it both ways. It's either one way or the other or as it is said: "You can't have your cake and eat it to."

Obviously, those who are being slammed on that site have the right to defend themselves and rebut Geary's allegations and so starts this vicious cycle. What would you expect? David said something like that to Mike and I, saying more or less, he (David) wasn't going to put his tail between his legs and run when addressing these issues. I agree with David on that BUT, by the same token, you guys can't expect the Cerio & Gascon supporters to go run and hide either. See what I mean by this vicious cycle? We did not draw first blood. As long as Geary wishes to slander our seniors on his website then I guess this battle will continue. It is up to him, not us. For now, I've got too much to do in moving to my new location so you guys can continue if you want here. I may pop in here and there but if you don't hear from me (I'm not hiding, lol) it's because I'm too busy right now. Good luck in your studies, Take care & be safe, Prof. Joe

2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Take it up with Christopher Geary. You are all really over-reacting to his criticisms of the KGS. Do you think that his article on why he resigned will suffer Mike Rash to lose one penny in membership revenues LOL!!! His KGS Corvette is safe!

You really should get your own website and put whatever you want on it (including your rank certificates and lots of video of yourself so we can all see how it should be done).

4. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Other then Geary, I'm not exactly sure where your getting these years from?
    I'm sure Mike Rash can come on here to speak for himself, but as I recall he's been in the martial arts since the 70's. Black belt in Shorin Ryu in 1980. Trained under Bob White in EPAK in the 80's, and bought a USSD franchise in the 90's, before the Karazenpo organization was reinstituted. I think that's over 30 years of martial arts experience.
    When I first met Brad Namahoe 15 years ago, he had just been promoted to 3rd degree black belt in Hawaiian kenpo, by Rudy Orlando. I don't know how long he trained before that. He may have joined the Karazenpo organization 7 years ago, but he was a black belt many years before that.

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

One version seemed to be very casual. He appeared to be just going through the motions, I can’t comment on the technical aspect though. I sometimes do this when I’m trying to get my head around a technique. Why it appears like this on this site I could only speculate on.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  6. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

I had to pop in when I heard Sigung John Bishop posted and let me make this clear, none of us contacted him about this at all. I did mention his name in an above post so I assume he saw it and decided to post on his own. Thank you, John, you are right, Prof. Mike Rash started when I did in 1973, so he has 33 years in this year. David never compares apples with apples and on this one, he only takes into account Mike's last 16 years and leaves out the prior 17 years, Geary's total time is 15 years and the vast majority with no instructor at all. Another 'spin'!!! Same with Sigung Brad Namahoe (take it up with him David, lol), Brad's total time in was not taken into account when you 'fudged' those figures. Remember, Kenpo/Kempo/Kajukenbo are all eclectic blends and in American karate it is accepted by the vast majority to cross train and get credit for such training when promotions come up. I've even seen it done in some traditional Okinawan systems.

Here's another point, you either miss or purposely avoid. It is not Mike Rash or Brad Namahoe that boast about how great they are, what oustanding ability they have and all the other happy horse sh_t on Geary's sites. Geary states he's the greatest so I'd say either put up or shut up. A little humility goes along way. If he could harness that super-over inflated ego, you wouldn't be here defending him! Oh yeah, Mike Rash makes a fortune on KGS BBS, you are totally out of line or you're just running out of things to say. Yearly dues were $26 since it's inception and just went up to $36. You claimed Geary paid out thousands of dollars for the KGS BBS visit. Rash and Namahoe paid their own way, Geary paid for Gascon's ticket but only to and from California and Rash paid for back and forth to Hawaii. Geary then put them up in a cheap hotel where he got a discount for the rooms. Rash was out $1700 and that's deducting the lousy $20 a head that was charged for the seminar. I have never paid a cent outside my yearly dues. How much has Geary paid Angel? lol.

Man, you got a lot of balls making a comment about Mike's corvette. Don't forget, either, Mike has a full time job!!! Just look at the lavish school or I should say his personal corporate office and let's not forget his vehicle, you know the one with "FOUNDER" on the plate,lol, that the Reverand Christopher "Jim Jones" Geary has from the money he soaks from all you suckers he's got in contracts that bind you and can't get out of! YOU DON'T THINK WE KNOW! Have another glass of KOOL AID!

Lastly, Josh stated: The reason that i beleive Professor Geary knows his stuff 3 times over is because masters have said at least 3 times over that he does know it. 1)Hanshi Angel 2)Sonny Gascon 3)Nick Ceiro 4)Hawaii international Martial ARts asscoiation.

I say: 1) you're going to have to ask Hanshi Angel that one! 2) how many times do we have to say that Sonny Gas and Mike Rash did what a lot of seniors do but i'll bet they will never do it again. They saw Geary's 6th dan certificate from Lou Angel and recognized Geary on the recommendation of Angel. Sometimes I would help Prof. Cerio with applications for approval of rank recognition within his organization. if Cerio knew the instructor's name on the certificate and the certificate was legit, he simply awarded a dan rank cert. in NCIMAA, ONLY it would say on the recommendation of: Master John Smith. Ths is done all the time. Yes, Geary sent a tape in, Gascon and Rash did not review it prior to the recognition because of Angel's recomendation, a common courtesy and now they know, a mistake! GGM. Gascon knows he made a big mistake, what more do you want from him?

I'll tell you something else too. After he left Geary's school, he was very upset because after seeing Geary move and talking with him, he realized it was a mistake but one, at the time, he already committed himself too. His comment to Rash on the way home was: "Another ........". If Mike wants to quote Mr. Gascon. I'll let him, lol.

Okay where are we?, Yes, #) Nick Cerio-Why he did it, who knows? because I don't. I do know he regretted it, called it an embarrassing mistake and intentionally did not put him on the family tree, just check the NCK website. That part is fact. Why he did it in the first place, no clue BUT he never made a mistake like that again. So, it must have made quite an impression on him.

4) The Hawaii Martial Arts International Society also promoted Geary sight unseen on the recommendation of hs promotion to 7th dan by Lou Angel. Like I said, a lot do that.

So, all I can say is that ranking is subjective as I said before and evidentally Hanshi Angel has different standards then we do unless there is something I don't know and it sure is hell isn't Geary's abilities.

See ya, gotta get to the new school and get started in the transition. Thanks again, Sigung John Bishop for posting, that's the only reason why I just popped in right now. Take care & be safe, Joe

7. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

I'm not going to get into politics, mudslinging, or personal vendettas, nor should my opinion be construed as any more important than just the feelings of a dedicated kempoist who takes much pride in the art and is pained by the actions of any person whose comments or actions damage the image of our fine art. So, please bear in mind that the following musings are in no way personal, but are in fact my feelings on the subject in general. My hope in posting them are that some light may be shed on this particular subject by one outside of the emotions and "pain" of those involved. Maybe it'll shed some light on why any of us would even expend the energy of harboring an opinion on the Geary subject. Take that for what it's worth...

I have worked hard for the various rankings I have earned in my chosen arts. I would hope that this work would be recognised and respected. A black belt (and moreso higher dans) should be respected. Our wonderful art should be respected, since (IMHO) it is one of the better fighting systems in the MA community.

Anyone who forgoes much of the work for their achievements and gains rank through dishonesty and deceit (much less writes memoires "bragging" about the deceit) has damaged Kempo as a whole. The more "paper-dans" we get in Kempo, the more chances of Kempo becoming the next TKD-type disrespected art-- the more chance that my hard-earned rank becomes viewed as a supersized paper value-meal from a drive-through system. Period. Any person who does this disrespects us all as kemposists, and disrespects Kempo.

Further (again, in MHO), the person who selects for themselves the position of Shihan in our art (if one indeed can or should select this for themselves) subjects themselves to a certain standard of conduct, to be judged against the standards they put upon their students. Some of these moral standards would be honesty, integrity, etc... Specifically, this standard would include a lack of need for restraining orders by students, and the self control to not attack persons or property after rebuffs. These actions also hurt the external perceptions of our art.

To speak specifically to my personal disappointment I'll relay the following, quoted from bullshido, all in response to Shihon Geary. Note that I'll not quote personal attacks and am posting just the some that denote the image damage done to Kem(n)po as a style.

"The More I read, The more I am loosing respect for Kempo."

"Non-accredited degrees for everybody! Wooo!

Bullshido should make up a fictional ken/mpo "grand master" (pick a green belt in some style or other, teach a bunch of extra kata and pay for his car rental costs) and see how many belt ranks he can rack up from the back-scratching fraternity."

"Now K-nerd, you just showed up to brag about how he's been promoted to 7th dan. Guess what, I can open a phone book in almost any American community and find people with 7th dans in Kempo or TKD, so big deal."

Geary is by no means the only person adding to this steriotype (just search ebay for pay-for-rank Kenpo), but that does not lessen his responsibility to the art, nor would it excuse his actions if indeed true.

With all of that said, I'll go this far: I've viewed what video he has posted, and the photo tech descriptions of his system. I will just say that I would hope that Kempo in general not be judged by them.

Good day all, and God bless.

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I couldn’t get this one to run. I have heard of him though.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I'm still waiting on the larger files to download. The one file I have veiwed Was good. The demonstration of technique is similar to us. We will usualy demonstarate a technique at least 3 times, once slowly so students can see what is happening, again slowly so they can see the footwork and body positioning and then normal speed so they can appretiate the technique.

10. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I found some Shorinji Kempo Clips that you may be interested in watching, as they are from New York. They are a little better than the ones I previously posted, not so much for the technical side, but as an indication of different aspects of Shorinji Kempo. There is some basic kihon, where you may notice the body dodging incorporated into the techniques. This is because we are defensive only and are responding to an assumed attack. There is also a self-defence demonstration where you can see the bogu we wear for randori (various forms of sparring), this allows the use of forceful strikes. These clips also feature full paired embu’s, unlike the earlier ones that featured only sections. This form of embu is an expression of the individual’s interpretation of Shorinji Kempo; they are designed by the participants and discarded at will. They are also a form of gyo, some people translate this as prayer, but it is more to do with an activity designed to help reach enlightenment or if you like develop your character and understanding of the world. The tempo is usually designed to build levels of drama and is attuned to the Japanese sense of aesthetics and may leave some viewers wondering what all this stoping and repositioning is about. They are not meant to look like a fight, but demonstrate how the techniques work together in a more realistic scenario than just the paired practice or demonstration of one technique.

You will need real player to run these clips. videos here

11. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

12. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

That's a bike to be proud of Colin.

13. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

-

"I couldn’t get this one to run. I have heard of him though."

Mr Linz- Do you mean Professor Chow?

14. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Yes, I have heard of him. My background is not with American styles of kenpo and I have had little exposure to them in Australia; but I have seen his name mentioned in various postings on the net.

15. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Thanks, I just need to balance and tune the carburettors and it will be ready for the road. I came off it a few months ago while ridding down a local mountain, hence the re-paint. Thankfully all those years of ukemi practice on wooden and cement floors saved me from damaging myself.

16. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

Hey, I'll tell the wife so she doesn't worry so much about me downing my bike!

"Honey, I'll just break-fall and it'll be alright!"

lol

17. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

My leathers, body armour, helmet, gloves and boots probably played some small part in it too.

18. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

Smart. I figure kevlar is my friend on a bike.

Glad you're OK.

19. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I meant to address this in my post. The symbol is not related to the nazi movement, they in fact perverted its meaning. It is a very old Sanskrit symbol that predates Buddhism, but has come to represent Zen Buddhism over the last few centuries. If you look at a Japanese map you will see it used to denote where temples are. It can be viewed both in its omote or forward version or ura its back version. Both versions represent different aspects. This is an article from our Swedish federation site.
    click here

There are videos of various graded students on this site too.

Manji used to be our symbol, although many western countries used a different one for obvious reasons. We now have a universal symbol for everyone; it too is based on old Buddhist symbols. It looks like this.
    click here

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  20. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

snow tiger, thanks for the input. but who is this k-nerd you speak of?

furthermore, did you miss the part that these grandmasters thought christopher geary deserved the recognition that they gave him? that is part of the promotion process.

i have to go back to work, but i have other questions about your comments.

thanks for your time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.