Posting videos for peer review.

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joe V., Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

wow

This sounds interesting. I say yes!

Cheers everyone,
    james

2. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I vote Aye!!! As well...
    Professor Shuras, I would gladly attend your Grand Opening! I am honored to be invited!
    I love live demos! Yes Professor, I will most certainly participate! I am sure I can get Master Mullaney and Sifu Rath to be there as well. I will ask Professors Nohelty and Bryant as well. I will make it a field trip for my guys and gals! I would not miss it for the world!
    It would be a mini "Gathering of Eagles" I am 100% in! Let me know if you need any help. I will volunteer my time to help you put this together!
    Respectfully,
    Sensei Joe.

3. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

Grand opening

Professor Shuras,
    I see that you are opening up at a new location, when is the big move?

4. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Snow Tiger,
    I agree with your analysis of the video. Mr. Geary does not move as well as Dr. Chamberlain's Brown Belt in this clip or any other clip I have seen of him. The proof is in the pudding or clip...lol

5. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

David,
    I will be filming some Arnis techniques with in the next week for my students to have as a reference. I will post as soon as I have them in digital format.
    I will wait for Mr. Geary to sign his release before I post any Kenpo Karate techniques. lol
    I really don't see the point in mentioning Mr. Geary's rank at the time. If he is Dan ranked he should move like a Dan rank. If you compare the movement of both demonstrators you cannot help but draw the conclusion that the Dan rank does not show strength, focus, or speed in the execution of the techinque. I think we have more posts that agree with my analysis.
    JoeV.

6. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

Thank you for the offer to help! Sounds good to me! Joe.

Gm. Cunningham, glad to hear from you! I actually just made the deal last night. So we are in the early stages of setting up. In the process of moving things, plus we want to set up the place to our liking. You know how it is. Remember the time you were in the area and stopped by but I was closed? Okay, the door you left the note on, facing it, just look over your left shoulder, there was a gym called MidTown Fitness Center (formerly The Active Woman), it's less than a stone's throw away, 13 Jefferson St. Gm. Al C. you know you're always welcomed there! Feel free to drop by to check it out, we'll grab a couple of coffees. It was kind of a last minute thing. The landlord's a real good guy, we went to school together so he treated us right! Just let me know ahead of time so I'll make sure I'm there. Thanks. Joe

Joe V., I just thought of something. In all due respect to David because he probably didn't know but he wrote: "That video is about 5-6 years old... 3rd at the time I think?"

I'm assuming he mean't 3rd dan, correct? Well, I remember back when Mr. Geary was a shodan. He had on his website (I remember, because a lot of people were discussing it over the net and in e-mails, check Bullshido.com), he took the title of 'shihan' and what he did was make up a sign up sheet for students and parents of students. They all signed it, he posted the sign up sheet stating this on his website. I understand he got a lot of flack for this. it is no longer on the website. A short time later, he was promoted, according to his website, from 1st to 5th dan w/the title of shihan, all from Hanshi Lou Angel. He never received promotions for 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Again, the video in question was for 6th dan and his only promotion other than shodan was his 5th from Angel. However, if David feels Mr. Geary's abilities was above reproach for even a sandan then fine that's his opinion. I think you and I and others who have posted here just have a different level of standard in our schools. Everyone is different. Joe S.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  7. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

"The Legend of Zorro"

Speaking of films, lol, I posted this on Kenponet a few days ago. There are several of us here of the same lineage, even though we don't all get along,lol, but seriously, I thought we would all find this very interesting.

The Legend of Zorro View Thread on Oct 30, 2005 8:28 AM
    Just saw the movie last night. Could of swore I saw a fair bit of Kenpo in the movie. But then again Zorro does wear a Black Gi.

This past thread was brought to my attention and some responding thought it may have been EPAK. Antonio Bandaras and his wife were at an event in Providence, Rhode Island several years back attended by the New England founder of Kenpo/Kempo Karate, Senior Grandmaster S. George Pesare. Bandaras and Pesare were introduced and began a conversation only to both their surprise, the following...... In the 60's Mr. Pesare spent some time in Spain and taught the art he learned from GGM. Victor 'Sonny' Gascon, of the Kajukenbo lineage, who founded the art of Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu-Hawaiian Shaolin Kempo Method. One of the students Mr. Pesare had taught later became the instructor of Mr. Bandaras. So, the poster did see Kempo in the movie and as I always have said, all the Hawaiian derived Kenpo/Kempo systems have the same core, the difference is usually in where the emphasis lies.

Respectfully submitted, Professor Joe Shuras, Massachusetts president of GGM. Victor 'Sonny' Gascon's Karazenpo Go Shinjtutsu Black Belt Society

8. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

correction

Actually, Professor Geary states in chapter 15 of his autobiography that Hanshi Lou Angel promoted him from 1st degree bb to 3rd degree bb. then from 3rd degree bb to 5th degree bb.

just keeping the story straight.

9. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

i watched both videos and there are a few differences. one of the main differences is that on the video the defender hit the attacker in the groin, instead of the rib cage. then the defender did something to the head. the defender was quick. what exactly was he doing?

the speed of the techniques being performed was different. i think that in the linn video the participants were going for actual speed. the professor geary video is a student video. it was made for students to have something to reflect away from the dojo. so i'm sure that's why professor geary was going too fast.

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

11. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

My correction!

First of all Josh, correction. I'm talking about Geary's Shaolin Kempo website, you can't compare Chapter 14 and 15 to his other website where he speaks highly of Cerio and Gascon. Maybe in Chapter 15 (his autiobiography came after) he talks about a 3rd dan from Angel but orignally on his Shaolin Kempo website there was no mention of it and you must admit someone like Geary would have most definitely listed it. It was an after thought for C.15, that is obvious. I, too, just wish to set the record straight.

Josh also stated: i watched both videos and there are a few differences. one of the main differences is that on the video the defender hit the attacker in the groin, instead of the rib cage. then the defender did something to the head. the defender was quick. what exactly was he doing?

the speed of the techniques being performed was different. i think that in the linn video the participants were going for actual speed. the professor geary video is a student video. it was made for students to have something to reflect away from the dojo. so i'm sure that's why professor geary was going too fast.

Josh, you're right there, the defender was quick and that is our point, fast and focused. Okay, what he's doing is redirecting the attacker's strike with a circular block and strike to the groin with a grab and pull into a vertical fist to the head. This is 3/4's of Conquering Shield (NCK's version of SKK's #15 comb.) Conquering Shield ends with a left cross knife hand to the thoat-I broke this down and explained it in it's entirely on one of my above posts).

Please Josh, don't make excuses for him on the speed and focus. HE STATED REAL TIME for that technique unless he has altered the audio since, we all heard it! IMO, a guy with an EGO that big is putting his best out when he does a clip. As a matter of fact, a humble guy would put his best out on his website.

12. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

Vid's

PacificShore,
    Now those were excellant vid's

13. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

i'd come, but i wouldn't have much to offer to you grandmasters. i'm a low kyu rank, in kempo and aikido. but even if i did have something to offer you guys i couldn't come due to finances. i don't have the money to throw out to come to the grand opening. are you guys in hawaii or somewhere else? i'd love to see your videos though.

is this little war between you guys and professor geary going to end? or is it going to end on these forums?

14. KGS BBS

KGS BBS Valued Member

I wish I could see the Parker videos but my home computer is not picking them up. I'll have to wait until I go to work.

C'ome Josh & David, no spin, let's call it like it is. This is not about Shuras, Gascon, Rash, Joe V., Cerio, James, Scott or you, yourselves for that matter. It is about the guy who has this on his website:

"Geary is a great martial artist and technician," Hanshi Angel says, "He has a good mind for business and is devoted to the students and the furthering of martial arts."

Geary became a master in the martial arts at age 31 with the rank of Godan (5th degree black belt) and the title of Shihan (Master, Teacher of Teachers). He is one of a select few people in the world to have been tested and promoted to the rank of Rokudan (6th degree black belt) in not one but three styles of martial arts. This sort of feat traditionally takes 20 years of intensive study and practice in one system. He has done it in only 10 and in three styles at age 33! This is an astounding personal achievement. Many martial arts experts become adept at one style. Professor Geary is an expert three times over. Clearly, he dedicates himself to achieving perfection in whatever he does.

Who here believes that b.s.? Gimme a break! This is just a sample, the 'real deals' who go to his website commonly agree and I've heard it said by men and women of many different styles, they need a barth bag as in vomit as in throw up. This is just a sample above, it gets worse if that's possible the more he writes and do you know what? Know one would really care. A while ago he was just a joke to many of us but most didn't go out of their way to bash him publically, some maybe but I know my circle didn't. It's when he didn't get what he wanted and he went after the old respected seniors, those who Geary can't make a pimple on their butts and showed total disrespect for. Go to Hawaii, David, Josh, and ask about Sonny Gas, go right to the source, his home state. Ask Sijo Adriano Emperado, ask icons like Bill Ryusaki and Dan Guzman of Ca., ask former freelance writer for all the major mags and 8th degree Professor of Kajukenbo, John Bishop. Ask, ask, ask.......

Guys, you just can't get that cocky and arrogant in the martial arts world and not expect this type of heat to come down on you. Ali came off as brash and cocky especially when he hit the scene in the 60's. Many hated him. I still remember listening to the Clay-Liston fight on the radio. I lived that era. Looking back now, I think it was a lot of showmanship to promote the fights, similiar to pro wrestling. However, at least Ali, laid it on the line, you can respect that even if you don't like the man. I, personally, like him. Geary is no Ali, LOL, please.....but there is one thing he most definitely is, 'his own worst enemy' and you guys are losing crediability and looking foolish trying to defend someone who is not worth defending. Somehow, I think deep down inside, you have to know that, you have to.

Geary is so full of himself it is pathetic and he obviously cannot back up his claims. If these were the 'Wild West Days' and Geary was making these claims as a 'gunslinger', by now he would have long made his residence on Boot Hill. I bet Hanshi Lou Angel does not want that video made public but it's certainly not about any SECRET techniques. C'ome on, it's the 21st century, 2006, the martial arts world has progressed to the point where the golden age of the 'secret techniques', I hope anyway, is over! No one is buying it! So please, tell him to save it, it's b.s.!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  15. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

i wasn't aware that it professor geary's technique was being performed real time.

16. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

http://www.ltatum.com/TipOfTheWeek.html

Here are more Kenpo vids. Albeit many on-line are of the Parker/American Kenpo version, but non-the-less it does highlight good demonstration of tecniques ;)

These have been around the net, and posted on many different forums and such, but if nothing else can give you a sneak preview of what you could potentially learn when searching out any particular art :)

17. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

exactly how am I and David losing credibility? I'm not blindly defending Professor Geary. I'm not really trying to defend him. Some of the arguments against him just doesn't add up. And i do call things down the middle.

To clear it up, i do not attend the Professor's school. i attend one of his schools that is ran by Shihan Steiner. I've had very little interaction with the Professor. I've been impressed by Steiner.Very impressed with his martial arts abilities. He was trained by Professor Geary so that's the why I beleive that Professor Geary knows his stuff.

The reason that i beleive Professor Geary knows his stuff 3 times over is because masters have said at least 3 times over that he does know it. 1)Hanshi Angel 2)Sonny Gascon 3)Nick Ceiro 4)Hawaii international Martial ARts asscoiation.

As far as many martial arts masters only mastering one art,why do they only master one art? i'm sure there's different reasons, but before that, let me say this. a master should explore more arts than just one, especially mastering them. it develops the person as a martial artists.

the reasons why masters do not go after other styles? maybe the master doesn't want to start over again. maybe the school does not encourage it. we could go on and on with this. do you agree that it's good to learn and master more that one art?

18. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

PacificShore,
    Thank you for that link to our Spanish Hermanos!
    When you first click on the page you will notice it is all in spanish. Do not fear! Scroll down to the videos and click on the first two links available. The first link will bring you a compiliation of a seminar celebrating the AEK's 14th year this past April.

The demonstrators all seemed to be of high caliber. Notice there were some of our KaJuKenBo Brothers there as well! The body mechanics were all there .

Check out the second video as well, performed by a Sandan . You will see two techniques, the first a blue belt technique and the second a purple belt technique. Even when the demonstrator is walking through the techniques you can see the power and flow. There is ample evidence of intent and effectiveness.

The third link is a multiple attacker demo. Nice techniques wonderfully executed!
    Esos Espananoles son fieras! "Those Spaniards are fierce"
    Thank you for the link! Effectiveness is International!
    JoeV

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  19. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Josh, you really think Mr. Geary was going to FAST? I've seen glaciers move faster than that. lol
    I think you meant slow right???

20. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

it was a typo. i meant that's why i think he's doing it slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.