Post your tai chi form

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by middleway, Dec 20, 2006.

1. middleway

middleway Valued Member

hi all,

post a clip of your tai chi form here ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b26f3bIdyKA"]YouTube[/ame]

here is my pathetic attempt! :D

cheers
    chris

2. Yin-Yang Boxer

Yin-Yang Boxer Banned Banned

Hello Middleway,
    Very impressive display, I've not seen the Old form practiced before. It's certainly different to the form I practice. I will dig my video camera out post-haste and get a copy of mine up.
    Thank you for posting

Many regards,

Yin-Yang Boxer

3. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

I'm not going to post footage(no camera), but as feedback, when you sink in a neutral stance your **** goes backwards and your head goes forward(see the start and one of the transitions at about 30 seconds for examples).
    It's a fault I also tend to have when I perform the form, and it:
    (a) breaks your posture making it harder for you to issue/absorb force.
    (b) is cheating and easier on your back then holding correct form.

Of course I can only talk from the wudang perspective, and if the movements are deliberately like that in your style, I'd love to know why :D .

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

They are secret, and we can't tell you!

Well ok maybe seeing as it's Christmas, I'll let Chris share if he fancies. he's a nice fella so i'm sure he'll be accomadating. :)

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he tells us.....he will have to kill us :eek: :eek:

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  7. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

Not that it is boring to watch tai chi .......................
    Wops fell asleep it is much more exciting to do Tai Chi than watch that is for sure.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Moi?
    What makes you think i might be worried about anything at all.. though facing Chris's Hsing I would worry the hell out of me!

In case you hadn't noticed (because i'm not quite sure) i was having a pull at your leg. But seeing as you'd like to know, I'm sure Chris won't mind me explaining what i (think) I know about the form. I havn't been practicing it as long as him, only about 8 months i think.

frog style! i like that :) umm couldn't access the page which is a bummer.

About the form though, the deep stance trains the kwa (hip joints) . It trains the legs very well too. You use a 'deep' (as in location) tucking of the tail bone which is closer to your perineum - a gentle intention inward upward that connects your posture. Tailbone to hip joints (makes a triangular base. The crown also uses gentle intention. I tend to just tuck my chin in a bit and that lifts my crown. It works for the frame which is big frame and is really 'basic training ' - the best kind..trains the four primary jins mainly in a strong fashion. six harmonies etc. etc.

It is a very hard form to do well and a tough form to do, and mine is much more pathetic than Chris's. For someone who knows what they're doing with it see M. Hejinhans clips on youtube.(I posted one on another thread)

You'll notice that his lean is very similar to Wu style.. Which is a more compact and upright version (by that i mean not such deep squatting keeping the harmonies in line. when you squat properly your **** sticks out - that is natural - you keep connected via your tailbone. To not do that in this part of the form would be cheating. You''ll notice though that other postures are done fairly similar to Wu style, you can see the line in the lean.

The combination form I do is not that easy, but compared to the frog form.. but i'll see of I can't get a little clip up of the first section of the combination style I do which is based on Yang style. It's more of a medium frame i would say. I wouldn't want to miss this chance to strut my funky stuff! :D I may even do it a bit lively for the sleepy headz.

Can't you borrow a camera/ have a friend with a camera, what are you embarassed or afraid or something. What have you got to lose. I mean really.. ;)

I know it's not a camera.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  9. middleway

middleway Valued Member

hey ppl,

completley agree! but is nice to see people and have a discussion.

ZD,

you nailed it. what more can i say...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJpTJyyKyg"]Yang Taijiquan 1st section - YouTube[/ame]

here is master He jinghan doing it properly!

happy training my friend, will catch up soon.

cheers
    chris

10. Yin-Yang Boxer

Yin-Yang Boxer Banned Banned

Hello middleway,
    Fantastic video! I would give almost anything to train with a man who has "the real deal". Is this who you learnt from? And if so, what was the training like?

Many regards,

Yin-Yang Boxer

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Here's a little offering from me in the spirit of freedom of expression and all that good stuff..

Not really an orthodox way of doing yang tai chi but here goes, 'freestyle' combination form i guess..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34-uvLDdRx4"]YouTube[/ame]
    At least you won't fall asleep I hope ;)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  12. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

Cool, looks cold out there ? :cool:

I'm sure I have seen some of those moves down the disco :rolleyes:

13. middleway

middleway Valued Member

hi YY boxer,

yeh master He is a great guy. i trained with him once, but not it taiji.

here is another brilliant Tai chi man. Master Chen Yun San, holder of the Kun Lun Tai chi lineage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_tSNNj4bbM"]YouTube[/ame]

nice one ZD!

thanks for posting it.

anyone else?

cheers
    Chris

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  14. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Sure was cold out there sj, had to get my funk on :p

15. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Let me try again: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0373074/8.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0373074&seq=4

Yup, that's why I was compairing the two, but the leaning forward when double weighted breaks the head-****-back-foot alignment which is why I was currious if it was deliberate. It's certainly not cheating to do it the way I described, try it, if you can hold the posture with your head back that low you'll find it's much harder.

16. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

I dont have a camera atm, I only learned the first third of this form before I had to stop training. :eek:

Here's an old vid from our late great grand master Chang Tung Sheng doing the whole form. It's called Chang Shih Tai Chi Chuan, the slight leaning forward in some parts comes from the heavy Shuai Chiao Influence. Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIMZKWOaWPI"]Chang Tung Sheng taichi - YouTube[/ame]

17. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

sickdevildog that first half makes up the short from of yang taichi.
    He was undefeated in to his 50 he fought undefeated.

jeckel, Why are you calling it the frog style when it is toad boxing.
    I know you know this just wondering why you are calling it Frog.

Chang Tung Sheng, would invent/more create two other forms for taichi.

That lean is actually to develop forward energy not just a throwing thing for fighting in general. One of the most important things you can learn is to connect to the spine of your opponent even thru a bridge, an have your energy going into there spine so you dominate them.
    Also, tailbone tilt comes from destending the tailbone to add fluid speed with power but the other IMO has more power when you have your tailbone pulled in. Tailbone in also has connectivety thru out the body as well it has to do more with maintaining knee to elbow than tailbone tilt. Tailbone tilt helps activate the sphinkter muscles in both position you should be able to do this contract sphinkter in only in when doing tai chi chuan. Other style of internal us other direction. What actually creats the connection is the way you breath some breath with no resistance other to breath. That is how you create a full body connection not from where the tailbone is that is used for beginners to help them focus. Why i say the breath is that if you fell unconnected there well there you go, to relaxed of a breath an you have no power to hard breath you are easy to read.

This said each one of the masters you see have certain things that are common when rotating the forarm an calf those bone add power to you wardoff, an other structures try to rotate in time with the lower leg your forarm. This will keep the structure more constant. In chin system this is called silk realing. Good luck, It will take time for me to post vid i dont have a camera an dont make mush an no i have no friends in life.
    Just thought i would add that.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  18. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

What are the other 2 forms called? The only one I know off is the Chang Shih. Our grandmaster Ma Foren, his adopted son, named it in his honor.

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

it's getting really freezing out here people, and that bloody alarm won't funk off..

20. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Ok, thought I would bring this thread back :)

(murmurs under breath) good for the ego...good for the ego.... :eek: :cry:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOEYIv_malw"]YouTube[/ame]

Due to space constraints, I've only gone upto Single Whip. Comments welcome, but please be gentle! :p

Lets have some more clips of you guys! Come'n!

James

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007