Post your computer specs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by mattnz, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Dr.Quinn

Dr.Quinn BOLO!!!

Power Mac, OS 9.2 :cry: i wish i had a G4 and OSX :cry: :cry: :cry:

I bet I have the worst moniter here...ITS A DAEWOO!!! I cant believe it's lasted this long, but it works pretty well.

2. Topher

Topher allo!

AMD (Sempron/Opteron/Athlon) and Intel (Celeron/Xeon/Pentium) are the two main/most common processor manufactures. I assume you know that ;)

AMD processors run diffrently than Intel's. Although AMD's clock speeds are technically slower than Intel's, AMD processors deliver more instructions per cycle. So a 1Ghz processor that carries out 5 instructions per cycle is going to be faster than a 3Ghz processor that carries out 1 instruction per cycle.

AMD's clock speed are slower, but when you look at benchmarks they usually beat "faster" Intel chips.

There is also dual-core and single-core chips. For games single core is better as they can make use of two seperate cores. Dual-core is ideal for multi-tasking.

Intel were considered the best but AMD have taken the lead. Their cheaper and tend to to better overall.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  3. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Simply put, Celerons are the devil.

4. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

Thanks homer,

I didnot know that. Ive been forced to learn computer stuff recently because it keeps on crashing.

to homer,

let say, if i want to run software programs that requires at least 2Gb RAM ie lots of multitasking. I should go for AMD, right?

and how can you tell if the chip is single-core or dual core?

5. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

It'll say so on the packaging :)

6. Topher

Topher allo!

Intel also do dual-core processors but i would say AMD because they seem to do better, plus there cheaper.

They also usually state if there dual core.

7. johny

johny New Member

:) we agree on something then!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  8. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Bahaha. Even with liquid nitrogen or phase change cooling that'd be a difficult overclock.

AMD and Intel are both companies who make chips. Celeron is a type of chip made by Intel, just as the Athlons are chips made by AMD.
    Usually, AMD chips outperform Intel chips price-for-price, but do your homework before you just buy an AMD chip because "it is teh best!", every chip has different strengths and weaknesses.

Intel's hyperthreaded chips multitask better than AMD Athlons (Although the Athlons are almost always faster), but AMD's dual-core X2 beat everything Intel have hands down.
    For single-threaded applications, the FX-57 owns everything.

The number attached to AMD chips is supposed to indicate what speed of Intel cpu it is equivalent to: ie an Athlon64 3200 is as fast as an Intel 3.2GHz chip. It doesn't always work out quite like that (Different instruction sets etc) but it's a rough guide.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  9. Topher

Topher allo!

He wants it for games, in which case a dual core would be pointless. Best thing to do is to get a decent single core.

10. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Some applications are actually designed to take advantage of dual-cores/hyperthreading.

Not sure how long it'll be before we see games designed to take advantage of that though.

A decent X2 chip would still plow through any game out today. Add to that it has multitasking capabilities and you've got a very nice chip. Just because the FX-57 chip is the best gaming chip out there (unless you're encoding a video in the background) doesn't make the X2s bad at it. All depends on budget/user needs.

11. Topher

Topher allo!

Of course, but games are single threaded. What sort of game you be multithreaded.

The X2 is fantastic - i have the 4400+ and it plays the new games fine, but if your solely a gamer then a single core would probably be more worth your time. I personally would (and did) choose the X2 because i would take advantage of the dual core more than i play games.

12. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Unreal Engine 3 :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005