Post session blues

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smitfire, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anyone feel down after training or teaching martial arts?
    I just taught 2 one hour taekwondo sessions (I don't teach my own club but help out from time to time) and I've noticed (not for the first time) that it can leave me a bit down afterwards.
    I really enjoy teaching, helping people, etc.
    But afterwards I start questioning whether I did a good enough session?Did people enjoy it? Was I 'too much'? Did I give people enough attention? Explain myself properly? Make everyone feel welcome?
    Perhaps it's my own self doubts and insecurities?

Dead_pool and Grond like this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I can have a bit of depression after a particularly hard workout, whether it be lifting, rowing, or martial arts. I think it's less about the psychology of training and more about brain chemistry.

Monkey_Magic, axelb and Smitfire like this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Or perhaps it's you being a conscientious teacher. Your questions (to yourself) reflect that you actually care a whole lot about the class. I see that as a good thing.

I haven't taught anything for a long time, but yes, I did question myself afterwards. But not to the point of feeling down, no.
    Perhaps you can spin these reflections to be, "Hmm, maybe if next time I [whatever] instead of [whatever] it will be more effective."

Dead_pool, Mitch and Smitfire like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I treat it as me just being tired. Then I over analyse myself on doing a crappy job. I rarely focus on the positives.

Bench 80kg? Yeh well I used to do 110kg

Tapped out a few people? Yeah well not against those who started after me.

Stuff like that. Then I eat, play some video games and chat rubbish over whatsapp (usually bullying @Chimpcheng) and suddenly I feel better. :)

Grond, Dead_pool, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I used to cry myself to sleep and fantasise about suicide if I had a really bad session.

So now if I have a bad session I'm just glad to be alive xD

Dead_pool, Mushroom and Smitfire like this.
  6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Imposter sydrome comes with the turf in martial arts. If one is striving to do better one cannot help but be aware of ones own shortcomings. when it comes to teaching as long as no body got hurt and everybody enjoyed themselves you have done your job. If students keep attending they are going to learn something!

Dead_pool, Mitch and Smitfire like this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'd say I definitely feel down as in best, but it's not usually alongside any negative feelings.

I worked out a little tonight and once my shower is done, I'm drowsy like I just took cough medicine or something. Good night's sleep is usually the best fix.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think that there may also be a difference between teaching full time and occasionally teaching.

I teach 4 nights a week at 2 different clubs and my students get regular checks via gradings, competitions, occasional sim days etc. None of those things are controlled by me so if my students do badly it's because I've prepared them badly. As a result, I'm on a sort of continuous evaluation.

If you teach occasionally, you don't have that definite feedback, so you are left second guessing yourself.

Either that, or teaching regularly can make you complacent, which I think is also true. External validation and competition have their place as a result.

Smitfire and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’m really interested in this. Who else can feel this way? What helps?

The benefits of exercise-induced endorphins are widely recognised, but I too can feel low immediately after high-intensity training (despite healthy eating post-exercise).

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think it's like anything. You're competing with yourself and sometimes you lose. I didn't lift as much as before or I didn't push as hard as I could/should have etc.

11. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Some martial arts practise should be classed as high intensity trained and the rest of your training planned accordingly you would never run back to back CNS intensive days if you were training strength and conditioning so you really shouldn't run hard classes back to back or hard classes followed by hard conditioning or powerlifting for example.

As non recovery or incomplete recovery can have a negative effect on hormones, mood etc.

But often we treat martial classes as different separate from our S&C when it really isn't

hewho, Mitch, axelb and 3 others like this.
  13. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My issue is definitely not a disappointment-in-performance issue. The harder I work out, the more likely I am to experience post-workout blues a couple hours later. It's like being hungry-sad only more intense.

Dead_pool, Monkey_Magic and Smitfire like this.