Post a video of your favorite form from your style

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mitlov, May 25, 2018.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Disclaimer: not all styles use forms/kata/patterns as a training tool. That's cool. But I don't want this thread to be a discussion of whether or not forms training as a whole has value. Instead, I want this particular thread to show off some of the varying interpretations of "what's a really awesome form" for those of us who do use them. It's the difference between saying "is it healthy or not to eat ice cream" and "if you like ice cream, what's your favorite flavor of ice cream." They're two separate discussions, and this is the latter.

So, for those of us who have forms training as part of our training...would you be willing to post a video (can be of you, or of somebody else) of what your favorite form is? Maybe a couple sentences as to why too. I think that it'd be interesting to see the variety from the various folks here.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Here's the one I'd most like to have learned:

I like for multiple reasons: On the more banal side it looks really cool, and it's one of the few White-Crane influenced forms that my style has (so it has subjective value in the "exotic"/"advanced" sense, and also the other one of which I know is not as cool), and on more substantial considerations it's an excellent physical representation of the style itself, with an even, integrated mix of compact directness and non-linear movements, and has some nasty stuff mixed in with which to play in training :p

aaradia, axelb and Mitlov like this.
  3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I believe that this is my teacher performing an extract of southern Wu Tie chi. Southern wu is a little more box shaped than yang tie chi. it is arguably related to bagwa. You really have to practice the form to experience what is nice about it. It is incredibly simple yet hugely technical, a foot a few degrees off the correct angle and it falls apart. but when it clicks an it flows its like flying.

axelb, Mitlov and Fish Of Doom like this.
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

fish - nice. shades of Chen cannon-fist in the hip-shake in that form.

5. Fish Of Doom

To the best of my knowledge it's a variant of a variant (probably of a variant) of the whooping crane form Ershiba:

Mitlov likes this.
  6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I really see the similarity in the hands - but the crane vid shows very little in the waste I am thinking the waist has shades of cannonfist

Although looking at some vid of canon fist maybe i am making it up. the hip dynamic in the karate is more closed than in the chen and cannon fist has much more upper body power generation/transmission than I remembered but i still see a similarity in the small hip movements.

But I always was a glass half full kind of person.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Mitlov likes this.
  7. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

A clip of myself performing the 2nd section of our yang-derived tai chi long form.

This is probably my favourite part of the long form, is it introduces the bulk of the techniques found in the long form, as well as revisiting the key elements from the first section.

8. Fish Of Doom

Interesting. Haven't done Chen so can't really comment on that. Wouldn't know if it was taught that way by the guy who taught it in Okinawa (Go Kenki/Wú Xiánguì), if it was added by Kenwa Mabuni when he codified the style, or if it's from somewhere down Mie Nakayama's lineage (Teruo Hayashi > Yoshimi Inoue > Mie Nakayama, to the best of my knowledge)

Tom bayley likes this.
  9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

From my Shotokan days, I always liked Jion the best. With simplicity of the techniques and the sequence of of hip rotation and transitions from stance-to-stance, it just felt like it nailed the "Shotokan" feel, at least how I trained in the art.

In Chun Kuk Do, I haven't yet personally trained in this particular form, but from what I've seen, I really like UFAF 2. It is certainly designed specifically as a performance form and is unapologetic about that. I like its flow, and in my opinion it hits the sweet spot of being complex and athletic without being over-the-top.

aaradia likes this.
  10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Thank you fish for your very kind post. at this point I note that I have had a migraine for the last 3 weeks baring one, two day, lull and am not entirely coherent. When I now Look at your video and the chen one I posted the hip mechanic is different enough to be significantly different. I do however like the chen cannon fist form because there is a whole lot of really fun stuff going on in it.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Aw jeez, CLF has so many forms, I can't possibly choose one favorite. Actually, I can't pick one favorite for Yang TCC either. But here are a few.

When I first started CLF, I went to an exhibition and saw this form. I knew it would be a long term goal to learn this. I accomplished this a few years ago. I love the the Internal forms in my external art and they are some of my favorite forms.

I also like when my internal art gets more "external" and has fast movements in TCC, but I can find no good video of the Small Circle Fast form. I am learning that now and it is one of my favorites. Precisely because it gets into smaller faster moves - emphasizing the martial element of Yang TCC.

Most of these are not the complete form, sadly.

This is my GM doing it at an exhibition a few years ago.

I don't know this internal form yet, it is still on my goal to reach the level to do it list!

Here is my Sifu doing the Five Animal Form (different than the Small Five Animal form). I like the traditional animal components in it. That is what makes it a favorite. Not even close to learning it myself.

CLF's Ching Jong form was another long term goal to get to learn, which I just recently achieved. People assume I was fascinated with it due to Bruce Lee, but I am not a fan of his. I like the fact that I can do conditioning and feel if the strike is properly done, but being able to practice this solo. I am having so much fun learning this form.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Bassai dai

13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Did you like this form enough that it is where you get your name here?

What is it you like about it? (Ahem, a little commentary on your clip?:D:p)

Mitlov likes this.
  14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

It's exactly where I got my name from.
    It's a big boisterous strong Shotokan kata , that I feel shows the essence of the style and suits my build/approach to the art.

Travess, axelb, Mitlov and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Moon Moo is a TKD form which demonstrates great control. I think I'm actually in this video, watching ringside, not doing it!

16. Mitch

I enjoyed my time in Enshin and loved the way their kata flowed into set routines, padwork, and sparring. It's nice to see something less stylised in karate.

This is a nice vid because it shows the applications for the movements too.

17. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I've always loved watching somebody good do Moon Moo (and not just because the-cow-jumped-over-the-moon jokes write themselves). The control and precision needed for all the slow-motion kicking sections is incredible.

18. Mitch

I am eternally grateful for the fact that, in my association, it comes in after the last physical grading you ever take, everything else is honorary.

I therefore have a tiny chance of progressing beyond it :D

Mitlov likes this.
  19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Form follows function. I remember Shotokan kata. Boxing calls these "Drills" and honestly you spend way more time on them than sparring. Of course it all helps with fighting. It's not needlework or anything, going through the motions of attacking someone isn't attacking them, but it is putting yourself in that mindset and maybe the body follows, if you're well conditioned. If you spar, you keep the whole package honest. But routines are important when training, no matter what you call them. One of my favorite routines is jumping rope, which is a form all its own. I'm always reminded little girls on the streets own me in their rope-jumping skills. Does jumping rope help for fighting? Yep, ask any pro boxer.

The forms of the various martial arts always strike me as just a collection of drills, but any one of those drills can be a potential KO in practice, especially the ones they call "unorthodox". Please see below ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My favourite forms are...

Tensho. A horrible form to watch and listen to someone performing but I like the techniques and close range sticky hand clinch applications. Grip releases, palm strikes, slaps, neck grips, arm wraps, groin shots, eye jabs. All the good stuff. Plus it look kinda Tai Chi-ish and esoteric and flowery like you'd see someone doing up a mountain in a film. :)

Also from Taekwondo I like Yulgok.

Has a nice mix of techniques, has a similar hooking block as found in Tensho and it's the first TKD pattern with an elbow (and I loves me some elbows).

Mitch and axelb like this.