Possible foot injury

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Sandninjer, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Even when I was in much better shape and very flexible I have never been able to sit like that. My ankles were never ok with it. I have also oddly never been comfortable on my knees.

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You have to pull your hips in, that allows your rear end to touch your feet without pressure and you hold a lot of the weight in the core, so there isn't all your weight either pressing on your toes or pressing on your knees. You need a certain amount of flexibility in the hips, hamstrings and outer thigh muscles.

If you don't do that you'll end up in kinda Z shape which is where the pain comes from.

3. anreew

anreew Banned Banned

Health Center Cary

4. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

That can help, sure. Learn to sit for a few minutes each day in seiza while you're watching TV or stretching your arms, or whatever. Try to remember that Japanese people adopt that posture from a young age because of their culture but that doesn't make it ergonomically ideal. It's too much pressure and weight on critical walking joints without a lot of advanced flexibility and proper instruction beforehand, especially if you're kneeling down on a hardwood floor of some sort. As an MAist, your knees are eventually gonna go out on you. Kneeling on them unnecessarily will only speed that decline.