Popping in to visit the old neighborhood

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ap Oweyn, Jul 17, 2020.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey son! I'm doing okay. You know. Pandemic okay. :)

I've been working from home since early March. Because of my transplant surgery (and a very scary episode last summer that put me back in Johns Hopkins for 10 days), my boss reached out early and said "nope, you're not coming back to campus." So I've been doing the home thing exclusively myself.

My kids are utterly fed up with me, I'm sure. My wife less so. She works for a health clinic serving low-income residents of the DC metro area, so the poor thing doesn't have the time to get sick of me. She's not medical staff, so she's not on site. But she's locked away in the home office all day.

I don't miss my commute. Agree with you there. Mine was 1.5 to 2 hours each way. I'd just gotten transferred to a marginally closer campus when COVID hit. So, while I now have a 1-hour commute each way, I haven't actually started doing it regularly yet. So it's all a bit academic. (See what I did there?)

Ironically, we opted to send our kids back two days a week, remote the other three. It wasn't an easy decision, but it got scuppered anyway, when the county (rightly) decided they weren't aptly prepared. Lots of highly emotional hand wringing for nothing. So back to fully remote. And so I'll be running the "school house" come the end of the month. Rather dreading that, if I'm honest. Last school year was a slog.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey son! I'm doing okay. You know. Pandemic okay. :)

I've been working from home since early March. Because of my transplant surgery (and a very scary episode last summer that put me back in Johns Hopkins for 10 days), my boss reached out early and said "nope, you're not coming back to campus." So I've been doing the home thing exclusively myself.

My kids are utterly fed up with me, I'm sure. My wife less so. She works for a health clinic serving low-income residents of the DC metro area, so the poor thing doesn't have the time to get sick of me. She's not medical staff, so she's not on site. But she's locked away in the home office all day.

I don't miss my commute. Agree with you there. Mine was 1.5 to 2 hours each way. I'd just gotten transferred to a marginally closer campus when COVID hit. So, while I now have a 1-hour commute each way, I haven't actually started doing it regularly yet. So it's all a bit academic. (See what I did there?)

Ironically, we opted to send our kids back two days a week, remote the other three. It wasn't an easy decision, but it got scuppered anyway, when the county (rightly) decided they weren't aptly prepared. Lots of highly emotional hand wringing for nothing. So back to fully remote. And so I'll be running the "school house" come the end of the month. Rather dreading that, if I'm honest. Last school year was a slog.
    Regrettably for this horrendously out of shape eskrimador, the only sticks I've managed to get to in our basement storage is the kamagong (hard wood) ones that feel like they weigh a ton right now. Guess I'm weight training at the same time then. ;)

Mitch and Dead_pool like this.
  3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hey, I like the quotes in your sig line. Maybe not the first one. That guy sounds like an idiot. ;)

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

He was a really smart guy with excellent taste in MA movies. I wonder what became of him... :thinking: ;)

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Chun Kuk Do is the term, though "United Fighting Arts Federation" is also used.

In practice, it feels a lot like ITF Taekwondo but without the "sine wave" during basics and forms. Not identical, but closer to that than either Shotokan karate and Olympic Taekwondo (my other main frames of reference). Sparring has a similar feel to ITF TKD as well, though rules are not identical.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There we are! Okay I was a little off. And yeah I’ve heard the other moniker as well. I just realized I’ve actually trained with three different tang so do folks at different times in my life. The last of whom was actually with the UFAF. Totally forgot.
    I was ITF pre-sine wave.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

All the good ITF styles are pre-sine wave :D