Pope States: Big Bang and Evolution Theories are real

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hannibal, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Bible stories have been explained as allegories in (at least 1) Catholic Schools since the mid-90's. Catholicism hasn't pushed the literal interpretation of the bible in a while.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But to many "literal" Christians this is a HUGE departure from the norm. Typically you see zelous defense of biblical literalism (like to idiot who did a rant video "disroving" evolution...and failing miserably) and although this si not liited to Catholics, the fact a major Church leader is going on record is highly significant

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, this really isn't news. Literal interpretation of Genesis is not espoused by any of the major Christian denominations and indeed is discounted in the works of St Augustine in the 4th/5th century.

5. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

I'm not sure the Pope really has any authority to state that the Big Bang and evolution are "real". What he can state meaningfully is that these ideas are not in conflict with Christian (Catholic) doctrine.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I thought that the Catholic church accepted evolution back in the 90s?

7. Ben Gash CLF

I don't believe they ever rejected it (indeed many of the early writers were catholic scholars) and they validated it in 1950.

8. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Most of the evangelical type denominations here in the states hold to a literal interpretation. Some of them are pretty big. IE Baptists, Methodists, ect.

9. Ben Gash CLF

The main methodist group in the us accepts evolution. The Catholic Church's membership is bigger than the population of China, so groups that may well be strong in the US aren't really that major in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Whatever the general belief is, the pope coming out and saying it officially is still symbolically significant to me.

Although what impact that will actually have on Catholics I don't know. I'm also concerned that while I appreciate this pope is trying to get the Catholic church back in a good light after the child abuse scandal and I've been impressed with him so far, he's making so many statements that go against traditional doctrine (whether it was widely followed or not) that I can see proper hardliners quickly ignoring everything he says.

Although being a hardcore catholic and going against the Pope seems weird too, but I think he's trying to do too much too quickly. Its worked for him, he's seemingly becoming well liked among the non-catholic population, but if these are actual proper reforms he's trying to make and not just a large PR exercise then he's at risk of saturating people with too many changes too fast. I think. Without knowing anything at all about actual Catholic thought.

11. Sampsi

Sampsi Valued Member

The current Pope has said little that goes against church doctrine and changed very little, he's great for PR and I'm in all ways for him but the biggest thing he's done in his role is start a campaign to stop the politics at the vatican.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This isn't revolutionary news that will shake the foundations of the Christian faith or anything like that.

But you know what? This is the first Pope I have ever liked. It still feels weird saying that, but I really do. PR exercise or not, it's still a nice change of pace.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He seems to practice what he preaches, which is pretty novel for a religious leader.

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Adam and Eve had 2 sons

then came the primates and that explains evolution ..

Simples

professor Smurf speakit

15. Ben Gash CLF

Even according to Genesis they had at least 3 ;)

16. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I am not a Catholic (was raised a Baptist, now an Atheist) - but I feel the same way. Everything from the name he picked to this latest bit makes him seem pretty likable to me.

17. philosoraptor

BUT MAH GENETIC DIVERSITAH

18. philosoraptor

I thought they just said that it didn't contradict Catholicism in the 50s, but it wasn't until the 90s that it was accepted as truth?

19. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Thankfully!

20. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

I'm no scholar. But from what I've seen the big bang theory is just speculation. Christians beleive that the world was created. And look at how complicated our creation is. We all know that someone created a watch. Think about the male and female species. They must have been created by something. Look at how complicated our bodies are. Working in perfect harmony. You can't tell me a big bang created our bidily functions. We see a watch is complex in it's creation. So some intelligent being created it. Why can't we say the same for our human bodies. Working in perfect harmony like a watch. Whether it comes to orgasm or breathingg and eating, this couldn't have come from chance. Are bodies are too complicated to have come from a big bang, Wouldn't you agree? Now I'm not coming in here t promote christianity, or Islam. I'm just using common sense. If something has a complicated make up it must have been created from something? Am I right?