Pope Franciscus I

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Count Duckula, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I'll be the first to start this topic then.

Yesterday I watched the new pope step on the balcony after the historical words were spoken. Being Catholic, I was excited about who it would be. When I heard that it was not Scola, I was happy. Not because I have anything against the man himself, but because he was the ultimate insider and confidant of the previous Pope. Imo the church does not need another Curia insider.

When he appeared, it was a bit surreal. He was standing there like he was stunned. Humbled imo. And when he started talking I had the impression he was the right man at the right time. Someone who is humble, and with a focus on social issues and helping people.

His assumed name 'Franciscus' was also a big suprise, and gives me hope that he is indeed going to attempt to get the Catholic church leadership focused back on doing good work, rather than on bureaucracy.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I probably don't share your sense of excitement about the new Pope, but I was also struck by how humble he seemed. (If it had been me, I'd have been high-fiving everyone and grinning from ear to ear, but I'm probably not natural Pope material. :eek: )

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I didn't watch the ceremony, only read the news stuff on it. I'm disappointed he opposed the Argentinian PM's gay marriage stuff but I'm very happy he seems to be in favour of overturning the contraception stuff. That rule's caused a lot of pain and a lot of stupid education. Good enough start for me. Hope he does well.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I wouldn't hold your breath for any major changes in church policy. He's quite conservative I believe. His 'brief' seems to be internal Church reform, rather than any review of doctrine.

5. Southpaw535

I can't see someone becoming Pope unless they're conservative, and his responses to Kirchner on gay issues showed he's a long leap from being liberal. But I'll take any changes as a positive and he has said that contraception could be acceptable if it prevents disease. It's not going to shake the Vatican to its foundations or anything, but its still something I would be very happy to hear changed.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He's also an Argentine nationalist, so it will be interesting to see if he takes a stand on the Falklands.

7. Southpaw535

Just for shiggles I'd like there to be a Holy Crusade for the Falkland Islands

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I believe I read on the huffingtonpost that he is pro falklands going back to Argentina, I've also seen something on him apparently in the 70s involved in some way with some Kindappings in Argentina, trying to find links now.

Edit@ got the kidnapping stuff http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/13/pope-francis-kidnapping_n_2870251.html?ir=World

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what are the UK's political asylum laws looking like at the moment?

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

on a serious note - I imagine the sole prerequisite the Cardinals were concerned with was a complete lack of involvement in allegations of sexual misconduct. This guy has got to be whiter than white on that issue.

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I told my friend via fb Hey they chose you for pope! :p (his name is Francis) :p

another fb friend mentioned how he drove by a house and saw black smoke late afternoon yesterday and thought hemight have been cooking something good.

So I joked on his fb "he dont know the conclave's over" :p

12. Count Duckula

I am willing to bet that you are right on this account. It won't be the sole reason, but from a credibility point of view, it certainly helps that this man was not a curia insider and not a bureaucrat.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

wait, you're a catholic? you made a big deal on a previous thread that my thought that 'sinners are going to hell' is offensive to you, since i don't know what YOU personally believe.

as a catholic, are sinners going to hell or not? if not, how does that work with your view and catholic doctrine?

14. Count Duckula

I was baptized at birth, confirmed my faith at the default points in time. I go to a Catholic church. From a practical point of view, that makes me a Catholic. That does not mean I agree with every point of doctrine. There are 1.1 billion Catholics according to the stats. Do you think that is a homogenous group with a singular set of beliefs that matches to all doctrine?

You might as well say that just because someone is American, he agrees with every single point of American policy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

but clearly there are some things that separate christians from non-believers.

what happens to sinners then? i'm just curious as to what your personal belief is.

i don't think that's a very good comparison. you're attempting to conflate two very different things: the existence of the supernatural versus nation/state policy. believing in the supernatural isn't exactly a policy matter to debate. either you believe there is an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent "god" who has laid out his doctrine in a book or you do not.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If that were true there wouldn't be 20 or so mainstream Christian denominations.

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I can tell you what I'd like to see of him (but very much doubt I will - hope springs eternal though):

- condoning of barrier methods of contraception both for safety and population control, as technically there is no murder taking place, since there is no mixing of egg and sperm and this would make an incredible change to people's lives
    - bringing more transparency into the catholic church
    - opening the Vatican archives

Genuine hopes there.

18. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

well, Lets start now. :)

We're not Catholic, but what do you expect of the man?

I do think the contraceptives liberalization and acknowledging that they help prevent disease is a good step for him to take. Especially because the last doctrine not so long ago talked about holes in condoms that lets aids through.

19. Southpaw535

Completely forgot about that one. I may have had my expectations raised too high by the Da Vinci Code but I'm very curious what they might have down there.

20. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Although I am not catholic and do not really have any vested interest, I was happy to see a non European become pope. If the things about his background and focus of ministry are true, this must be very exciting for catholics. It seems Pope Franciscus is poised to make some very positive changes for the church.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013