Police shot in Dallas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It's the same argument no matter how you slice it. Devoid of enough nuance as to just be hyperbole.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No rational person says that all muslims are terrorists.
    No rational person says that all police officers are racist fascists with itchy trigger fingers.

No one deserves to be shot whilst doing their job.
    No one deserves to be shot for a busted tail light.

Isn't there some way we can stop both things from happening? Isn't there someone on this planet smart enough to work out a solution and execute it?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If BLM hold these two gunmen up as heroes, do they then stop becoming civil rights and start becoming terrorists?

4. holyheadjch

You know nothing about the BLM movement if you think that could possibly happen.

The BLM movement has never sought revenge. Only justice. Last night was not justice. The men who were killed last night were protecting those same protesters and when the shots rang out they ran towards the danger, even though they were the targets.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

But that IS the issue. These things happen BECAUSE people ARE Irrational

(Caps for emphasis-not shouting)

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah I don't know anything about them. I was just wondering :)

7. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

No one should be shot for a tail light, but it sounds like this guy was not to smart, did he tell the cop he had a gun ?, and then started reaching for something ?, that is what it looked like.

8. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I think the thing that amazes and saddens me the most is that the officers that were shot were the ones at the rally keeping the protesters safe from anti-protesters. They weren't trying to disperse the protest, they were assisting the protesters.

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm not going to say any more than this because this isn't the time, but I think you're being more than a little generous in not accounting for human stupidity, tbh.

This is how it was reported on CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/

If anything, sounds more like he was doing exactly what he was supposed to and the cop lost control. :(

10. holyheadjch

He told the officer he was carrying a licensed firearm - which is what you are advised to do in the event of a traffic stop.

What happened next is not entirely clear. But it sounds like some miscommunication between the officer and Castile, which left Castile reaching for his drivers license and the cop shot him. Misunderstanding or mishearing an instruction is not a capital crime and it does not carry a death sentence.

11. holyheadjch

Stupid people will do stupid things, but there is no way the BLM movement at large is going to turn this murderer into a martyr.

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

With respect, I believe it is you that is missing the nuance of this.

If you're a Muslim living in Raqqa, then systemic advocation of anti-Western jihad is probably rife. If you're a Muslim living in the UK, then pockets of anti-Western jihad are rare enough that you may never encounter them.

You do not have to be a racist or shoot anyone to be a part of systemic racism. Are all the African Americans who've spoken of police prejudice against them over the decades lying? If you don't believe black people, then how about white ex-cops and investigative journalists?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HyKlFUMBiA"]A Tour Through Baltimore with a Former Cop - YouTube[/ame]

This is with the caveat that I condemn the despicable shootings of police and protesters in Dallas in the strongest possible terms. But to say that there is not a systemic problem in US policing is to pull the wool over your own eyes, and that will only serve to prolong the problem.

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

This pretty sums up how I feel about this. My thoughts go out to the families who have loved ones who wont be coming home. From what I saw on TV/online it looks like it was a peaceful march until this happened..

"You must not lose faith in humanity, humanity is an ocean, if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty"

14. holyheadjch

Until the shooting started it looked like the protesters and the police were getting on extremely well. The protest might actually have strengthened ties between the community and the police - which is by far the fastest way to fix the underlying issues. Then, madness ensued.

15. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

No brother but I fear a large number of militant-minded people will indeed make him a martyr, even if most rational, peace loving folk of any race will not. I don't like the labels because they get tossed around, look at how Breitbart is associating this act with 'BLM'. The protest was a 'BLM' protest, and so this act is the fault of 'BLM', is their kind of ideology. The same sort of label demonification has occurred since the 1960's civil rights movement. You eventually could not be a Black Panther without being a violent extremism. And maybe you didn't care because that was your thing, but for other people it was only about taking a stand for something you believe in, black and proud, to quote James Brown. There is a huge difference between being loud about your cause, and being violent.

Micah was certainly not alone in his ideology, he may have worked with others, and there are without a doubt in my mind, more people like him out there ready to blow. This sort of thing has happened before and for some reason Texas seems to have the history of snipers taking their political violence out on innocent people from above. The key ingredient, as Malcolm X once put it, is just a couple of sparks next to the powder keg.

16. The Iron Fist

There was much love between the people in Dallas and the police that day. There were NO reports of violence, and considering the previous two days of live Internet video of innocent people being killed by police (likely due to poor training and lack of self-control, if anything), it was such a different picture than Ferguson. Something was better in Dallas than the protests and riots before it. I was thinking all day 'we've learned our lesson not to fight against each other or the police, but to join with all who value life and public safety'.

And then someone decided the peace and community was too much to bear, and shed blood. It was too much for him to see community members fraternizing with police, because to some militants, they are fraternizing with an 'enemy'. Skin color no longer matters, it's the uniform that defines the enemy, and Micah X was certainly well trained to deal with anyone he considered an enemy. It breaks my heart that he decided anyone wearing a uniform in downtown Dallas that day was an enemy, and so he declared war on all of Dallas, TX, and began murdering its civil servants.

As much as I abhor violence, I hope this tragedy actually tightens bonds between minorities and police. When all is said and done and there is a sniper firing into a crowd, the police may be the only thing standing between civilians and a madman. Even that poor guy whose picture was thrown around as a "person of interest", but later found to be completely innocent, handed his rifle over to police right as the shooting started, as if to say "I'm with you guys, go get him". A man with a weapon trusted the police enough to hand over his firearm as a sign of good faith.

Mark Hughes: marched, he protested, and god bless Texas, he was allowed to do it while slinging an AR-15. But he didn't see the police as the enemy. I'll bet he still believes 'Black Lives Matter', too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Totally agree. Hopefully this will make people look and see that not all police are bad, only a few bad weeds that need to be pulled and they will and the police take a serious look at their procedures.

Doesn't help that America is so fixated with guns and the second amendment...(which I thought was only for forming a militia to keep us evil redcoats at bay)

18. The Iron Fist

Notice Mark Hughes again, was proudly displaying his 2nd Amendment right, and will probably become famous for it, even being mistaken for a suspect early on as an unfortunate result (and I hope there are no long term ramifications from that..he's said he's getting death threats online). But him bringing his AR-15 to the protest was not as important as what he did with it when the shooting started. What happened next blew my mind.

This intelligent man is some welcome light in the darkness, in my opinion. He exercises his constitutional rights in peaceful public protest, and just as quickly, realizes that he needs to surrender that right in the interest of public safety, finds the first police officer as soon as the shooting begins, and hands them his defense. He placed his life in the hands of the police.

In handing over that firearm, Mark Hughes made a symbolic gesture of "I trust you" to the Dallas police. That in my humble opinion, destroys 'Micah X's' ideology, and eliminates any notion that the Dallas police have any interest in killing black folks.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  19. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Maybe I am missing something in translation here but why did he bring a high caliber gun to a peaceful protest... great he handed over the gun but surely that was so he wasn't mistaken for one of the perpetrators.

Forgive me if I am wrong but again wasn't the second amendment only for forming a militia when the American colony didn't have a professional army to defend itself. Guess I hail from a country thank god without a gun culture so this is beyond me..

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Seems more likely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.