Police shot in Dallas

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

https://youtu.be/DAzy37yzodk

Seems to be ongoing, I had no idea what friends in America were telling me on Whatsapp, but it seems it was at a blacklivesmatter protest. My thoughts are with the police officers and their families.

MOD Note. Some bad language, so embedding removed and replaced with a link to You Tube.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Live updates from BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-36743033

Police are exchanging fire and negotiating with a suspect who has threatened to detonate bombs.

Three suspects are in custody but are refusing to co-operate with police.

Hope our American friends are all safe and well.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The political bickering on social media over this incident is disgusting.

Families have lost loved ones for Christ's sake, have some decency.

Thoughts are with those affected by it.

:(

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep, let the police do their work, get everyone home to their loved ones and discuss the political wranglings later.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I had to do a double take when I saw the news this morning. Absolutely tragic :(

7. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I just can't understand the motivation. Or the reasoning behind it. Surely they see it's only going to make matters so much worse?

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Couldn't believe it when I saw the headline: Shootings at Anti-Violence March. You can't write satire like that.

9. holyheadjch

I don't know. Seems pretty clear. It's messed up and counterproductive, but the 'why' isn't really a mystery at this point.

There's a quote that a few people have been passing around the internet over the last week. It's from the movie 'The Great Debaters' (Good movie, btdubs).

When faced with that choice, some people will choose violence.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think if this was happening in a country that most Westerners couldn't point to on a map, it would be presented in the media as sectarian violence between a historically oppressed ethnic group and the established majority.

Like holyheadjch says, it's wrong and counterproductive, but the surprise to me is that it hasn't happened sooner.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Absolute insanity. The past few days the news has just gotten worse and worse. :[

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

2016's being a hell of a year. A real doozy.

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Police brutality against Afro-Americans keeps happening. No one ever gets convicted and no cop will speak up against their peers. Someone was bound to goes off the deep end at some point. The Philando Castile shooting happened just 10 minutes from me. People have been protesting in front of the governor’s mansion for 2 days.

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The TOS prevents me from using the kind of language I'd like to describe this situation with. Still kind of trying to piece it all together. A George Carlin quote will have to suffice

15. philosoraptor

Anyone reminded of cyberpunk dystopias like Robocop? I guess the urge to find familiar narratives is somewhat trite, but I can't stop trying to get a handle on this and I guess that's where my head goes.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

No words. I don't pretend to be smart enough to grasp the political landscape, so I can only give my condolences to the families affected. Such sad times words can't do them justice.

17. philosoraptor

They've identified the shooter as Micah Johnson, who has a lot of pro Black Lives Matter stuff on his twitter. I'm deeply, deeply saddened by the… futility I guess of his efforts, the meaningless loss of life and the hatred involved. I'm saddened that this movement that is aimed at good will be derailed, possibly for good. I keep trying to type my thoughts on the subject and I think I don't have the words. Just how pointless and banal the whole thing is.

18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

GRRRR I was just having a discussion with someone about this, someone who routinely post on how a small portion of Muslims causing violence doesn't make all of them bad. Somehow a small portion of police causing violence makes them all bad.

:bang::bang::bang: PICK ONE :bang::bang::bang:

Apparently people are fine with nuance until they just want to be angry and hateful.

19. holyheadjch

All that means is that he is African American.
    It will persist until something changes. They might change the name, they might go quiet for a little while, but the civil rights movement (which is all BLM is) wont disappear.

20. holyheadjch

The issues with the police are systemic. It doesn't make individual police officers bad, but it does provide a framework for the bad people to do bad things without fear of the repercussions.

The truly ironic thing about last night is that Dallas PD had made real efforts to fix its bias issues and the number of excessive force complaints had shot down in the last few years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.