Polar Bear Resigns as martial

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Polar Bear, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Effective immediately, I am standing down as the Marshal of the Glasgow Company of Duellists and withdrawing from the club.
    I have worked hard for the club for two years and seems my reputation is being questioned and those that I counted as a friend turn out not to be.
    Well, I've had enough, I am no longer willing to teach longsword, if this is what happens.
    So I am no longer going to publicly comment on longsword and just train in private with those I trust.

Thanks everyone here for your comments and exciting debate.

The Bear.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

Sorry to hear that, losing trust in your friends sucks.
    I wish you luck.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Bloody politics and personalities.

You know where I am

Bill

4. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

You'll still be around MAP I hope? Good luck with your new teaching direction, and sorry to hear about what happened. :(

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I was going to visit on Sunday, guess that's put the lid on it. Sorry to hear this and wish you all the best.

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Sorry to hear of your dissillusionment..

keep your chuns up there is always another day ..

regards

Smurf

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's often what happens when you get into a position of responsibility over friends. It often becomes a them or us. Freaked me out first time I employed people I'd know and worked with for years. Heads and parapets.

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It's not the training that's too hard it's YOU.
    AYE RIGHT!!! how many times have I heard that one.

Down 8 up 9 Bear.

9. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

I come here not to bury Bear but to praise him ...

The GCoD has always suffered from having just one man teaching. It was me till my health went down hill last year ... and then a Mr P Bear took over that very demanding role. I'd like to thank him on behalf of the class for carrying on the GCoD flag and taking it to new heights in producing some of the best longsword fighters in scotland (and that probably means the UK as well).
    This will probably mean the end of the GCoD but it was a h3ll of a ride with some very memorable moments to remember it by.

To Bear ... may his zornhau never be countered.

10. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Sand to hear... hope you stick around, always liked your strong stands.

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

What a loss to the MA public. Polar Bear, take care of yourself and if you need anyone beaten up, PM me.

12. komuso

komuso Valued Member

That bites!

people........

dont you be putting that cool new sword of yours down though! And if you don't keep up with the training who will I have to use an example of the most hardcore dedication to realism in the blade arts that I have come across (I imagine more hardcore folks are just dead).

In short, no rest for you bear!

:)

paul

13. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

What you need is to keep on training with a good group of real friends.

14. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Bear..

It always disheartens me when I read or hear of this happening, I hope you manage to resolve whatever situation exists.

I too have been in almost exactly the same situation - holding a senior position within a club, only to find people whom I considered good friends challenging the direction and or decisions of the club for which I was responsible. Sometimes mate the only thing you can do is stop trying to please everyone else and thing of yourself for once, I realise that's a bit of a selfish situation but ultimately we study our disciplines becaise we like doing them, when we no longer like going to the club or teaching what we know - because it then causes problems for others (politics and opinions) we might as well not bother.

Chin up mate, a little time always puts perspective on things.

Dave

15. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Good luck.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi Bear,

Running a club is a challenging endeavour, that's for sure. Sometimes people join a club and do more harm than good, and that goes for nearly any organization on can think of.

Remember the main thing is your training. Take students as you will (it helps one improve), but focus on yourself and your ability. One always runs into jerks and people who take advantage of us. Don't let it bother you, otherwise you give them power over you.

Good luck!

Best regards,

-Mark

17. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

Bear

Sorry to hear your reputation is being questioned. Good reputations are always questioned by those without one. My respect to you for not willing suffering the foolishness of others. Just stay focused on your own traning and teaching and don't listen to the static from others. The best of you is yet to be experienced by us.

18. Greensox

Greensox New Member

Then when you need to test those new interpretations, don't forget you've friends further north! Besides, we still owe you a cooked breakfast!

All the best, Dave!

K

19. tedi-kuma

tedi-kuma Valued Member

This is the Dividing Line!!

The GCoD is dead, long live true martial spirit!

It is good to see my younger brother showing the way in putting principles first. Now the fun will really begin!

Greensox, I am sure you know that your Glaswegian buddies will always be around for you and yours. Keep seeking the truth!

I have never posted with great regularity on MAP, unlike my brother. I am sure that most of you will miss him in one way or another as he has contributed greatly to MAP. Although, selfishly I am glad he will be bowing out of the public arena as it now gives us the opportunity to focus on taking things right to the edge. Like Koyo he has been a beacon of light for the true principles of the fighting arts.

Regards

Teddy Bear

20. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Sorry to hear that Bear. I may not know you personally, but your posts here have always been insightful, and been enlightening. And you're Scottish.