Point sparring Newbe Question

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Bluesash, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Yesterday I got taged a few times in the back of the head and ear!, I still feel kinda dizzy, but was wondering would that shot be a point? bluesash

2. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

I would say it depends on how you got hit. If someone tagged you in the back of your head while you were doing a spinning attack then I would say yes it would be a point. Now if it was a rabbit style punch I don't think it would be considered legal and therefore would not be considered a point. Rabbit style punches are illegal in a lot of point tournaments and even in boxing.

3. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

It started out to be light sparring then

It got a little heaver, I thought I scored a point turned my back and felt a 123 punch on my neck and ear, I ask him why he was hitting the back of my head he said because you turned your head!? ,I was surprised, He`s an orange belt and Im just a white belt, Im still dizzy?????????????

4. Roman

Roman New Member

Never stop until you hear "BREAK" or what ever they use to stop the bout.
    Yes, technically he scored on you. Why? cause he landed his hits.

5. MajesticB

MajesticB New Member

Not too sure of the rules with which you are sparring with, but my school just about any hit to a part of the body that could inflict more pain on your oppenent than you, counts as a point. (Barring any eye gouges, groin shots, or anything else dangerous like neck shots, etc...)

6. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Not to many rules No knee`s or Elbow thats it!

Im really gona be on the look out now! I really dont know all the Kenpo rules myself me being from an old Gung fu school, I was never in a point sparring thing uno, now Im looking forward to a little spar everyday in class, Thanks You guys. With Respect

7. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Yeah, as someone said above, never stop fighting until you hear "BREAK". As i've posted soo many times, judging in tournaments is usually really biased and horrible, and just because you think you may have scored a point, doesn't mean the judge would have seen it. You may have in fact gotten the point, but unforutnatly there is "supposed" to be no arguing with the judges. My best advice is score a point that is so valid and obvious that they'd almost have to call it. A tip in tournaments is when hitting(take a backfist for example), throw the shot but drive it. Still use control but push through it a little , making sure the judges know he got hit. Also, all head contact is allowed, with the exception of the face. There is really only no neck contact, back contact, and leg contact. Notice I left out groin contact. You are not supposed to hit there, but should you, it technically should be a point. Though, i rarely see it called.

8. MajesticB

MajesticB New Member

I think the whole rule on face shots depends on the school. My school, our headgear contain a face cage, so we are allowed face shots. (knock on wood). I really never like not being able to do face shots since one lightning quick jab to the face always snags a point.

9. gankaku

gankaku New Member

Why the heck would you turn your back to an opponent anyways?

10. Shrfu_Eric

Shrfu_Eric New Member

In any system or type of fighting ... Don't get hit ... especially in both heads ...

lol

Eric

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

He's a white belt and the other person was an orange belt :confused:

12. gankaku

gankaku New Member

Well then he obviously was not ready to compete. His Sensei should have known this and told him not to.

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Well now he is a yellow belt ;) maybe now he'll be ready :cool:

14. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Im still not ready but

My friend Jeff Newton from my Kenpo school is, he will be on Card 56 UFC ! for Nov.19th at MGM Grand!! Check him out! I hate the color yellow!! Salute!

15. Jukai

Jukai New Member

I'm surprised that your school lets white belts spar. The school I go to, sparring is for orange belt and higher only. Same with a friend of mine, but I believe I took a different style.

My advice, unless you are really confident and good with spin attacks...don't do it! Never ever look away from your opponent if you can help it. :)

Cyndi

16. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Thanks

Cyndi, Hi I just was on yer web and Im the first that signed yer visitors page, check it. Respectfully, bsash

17. Roman

Roman New Member

just want to add that face contact in tournaments are legal to many, unless you are overly excessive, and obviously if you draw blood....then your disqualified...

18. gankaku

gankaku New Member

In my org you dont get disqualified for drawing blood. You just get a warning and if you do it again then the opponent gets a point. Depending on the Judges call you might loose a point the first time but it rare in international comp.If you do it 3 times then you'll get disqualified.