pocket stick/palm stick

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Stickgrappler, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Stickgrappler

Stickgrappler Valued Member

hello,

i'm looking for info on the palm stick of the FMA known variously as pocket stick, olisi palad, tabik malit, etc. i'm mainly looking for history/background, but training progressions would be cool too.

TIA.

2. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi Stickgrappler,

We've had contact in the past via the ED ans the Underground forum - you sent me to your archive. Thanks for that!

The only info I've ever see directly attributal to the FMA's use of the palm stick was from Rick Faye's Sunday Seminar Series: MKG website

Hope that helps - let us know if you find anything interesting. This was kinda en vogue at my gym last Summer but seems to have been passed over now - a real shame considering the utility of the weapon/principles for self-defence in a real situation.

3. Stickgrappler

DL,

forgive me if i do not recall our "past" :)

you probably used a diff SN on here than the ones you used on the UG and ED.

however, glad to be of help.

i love the palm stick, as you can use the principles/concepts for mini-maglite, hairbrush, pen, ruler, etc. last i check, the pen was not outlawed :)

i have Ted Lucaylucay's vid. one of my friends is getting the Rick Faye vid. he will let me know if it's good for me to pick up or not. but knowing Faye's rep, it should be good.

4. br00ster

br00ster New Member

:(

I'd a kubotan on my keys for years,never thought about using it in self defence tbh,just thought of it as a good keyring(easy to find etc).
    Sadly after sept 11th i had it taken from me at stanstead airport(fair cop).
    Am sure i've saw jkd instructers somewhere (vid,clip) using the pocket stick as a gunting to the biceps etc...

5. Stickgrappler

on the late Guro Lucaylucay vid, he shows many of the destructions.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

would you want just the pocket stick or a dulo dulo or a badjac?

7. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

have you seen http://www.yawara.com/
    IT has a lot of interesting things re: "palm stick" if I undrstand your meaning

8. Stickgrappler

gojuman,

thank you, i have seen yawara.com. great history there of the japanese pocket stick.

shootoman,

"would you want just the pocket stick or a dulo dulo or a badjac?"

i've not heard badjac before? is this tagalog? i've heard dulo dulo. basically looking for history/background on the filipino short stick/pocket stick. some say it probably developed from closed balisong techniques. but just curious if there is anything official on the history of the filipino pocket stick

TIA

9. shootodog

a badjac is actually an ifugao weapon made from a horn of a bull or a water buffalo.

sir, in the philippines, there is nothing ever official, especially with martial arts history. it depends on who's talking.

10. krys

krys Valued Member

I bought a pair at the Viramall shop (220 pesos each)....
    Down south we also use a short stick with small blades inserted in the sides... but I don't know the name...
    It can also be found in Indonesia.....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  11. shootodog

squadron shoppe?

12. krys

krys Valued Member

Yes, squadron is ok for some stuff but I would not buy sticks there...
    I usually buy them in Quiapo or the province, cheaper and better quality...
    By the way I heard of a place in QC where one can buy good rattan sticks for 10 pesos ....

13. shootodog

no i meant for the badjac? where in virra did you get the badjac? i get mine from the mountain province.

14. krys

krys Valued Member

Yes I got the badjacs from squadron shop...
    There are also some weaponsof the mountains provinces (ifugao axes....) for sale in Intramuros.....

15. shootodog

the mumbakki is selling defense stuff. pm me you manilans that are interested in viewing/ buying his stuff. folding metal baton is one of them.

16. shonuff

shonuff New Member

Aren't palm sticks more closely associated with japanese martial arts?

Thee most popular palm sticks:

Koppo: hatsumi's bujinkan loves this pocket stick. The palm stick with a cord.

yawara: popular jujutsu weapon. Popular with police at one time.

kubotan: some karateka's pen fighting system adapted to also be compatible with pointed metal keychain.

17. shonuff

shonuff New Member

Sticks are associated with all martial arts.

The point is that some weapons are more closely associated with certain MA's. Dual wielded rattan escrima sticks are a signature of FMA.

The hardwoord jo, tonfa, and boken are associated with japan and okinawa.

The really springy 7 or 10 foot staff is associated with china.

The same thing with the pocket sticks. Pockect sticks are very popular in japanese martial arts. Go to a martial arts store and ask for a filipino palm stick and no one will know what you are talking about. Go in and ask for a koppo, kubotan, or yawara and they know what you are looking for.

18. littlebird

littlebird New Member

I just wrote about this over in weapons.
    They were not very familar with the "hand stick" or yawara.

Yes those little keychain handy dandys proved quite dangerous to a few folks as the guards at airports and and courthouses and the like were taught what they were.
    I heard of one quy who when it was discovered on his keys in the little tray at the metal detector, was arrested and put in jail for carrying a concealed and deadly weapon. Not sure what the final resolution was.

The problem was that he took it out of his pocket, and/or that it was metal.

If he had one of those 6 inch oriental phallic carvings of Ironwood or Ivory or something on a braided string round his neck or waist to help him with his fertility endeavors, then though he might have been embarassed he would not have been arrested for "religious" reasons.
    -- In other words, don't be blatant. Use a little imagination and you can be prepared for an unpleasant situation.

I will direct the folks over in weapons to here.

:)