Plz help! Martial Arts in Glasgow area

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by honest_geezer, Feb 18, 2007.

1. honest_geezer

honest_geezer New Member

Hi, I'm looking to change to another style. Had previously done Shukokai and then tried another style but I'm not finding it that great for what I am looking for, which is mostly self defence but also the peaceful side of it. The first teacher I had placed too much emphasis on katas and not enough on self defence although that may be partially due to having no mats and possibly no insurance (as it turned out!!!).

I'm possibly interested in Wing Chun but don't know how practical that would be in a fight? Also had a look online at Jeet Kune Do which looked quite good. I'm definitely not into kickboxing etc. or fighting with sticks etc Ju Jitsu also sounded quite good. I'm a bit of a sissy when it comes to fighting :cry: (never been in one apart from when I was biting my brothers kneecaps aged 10!!!) so that's what I want to try and improve on

I live in the NE of Glasgow so could attend anywhere in Glasgow but also Cumbernauld or East Kilbride or Coatbridge etc, Also timing is difficult for me as Mon/Tues/Wed are out altogether...

Sorry for being so specific but was hoping that maybe help to narrow it down and would be really grateful for any info :)

2. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

There's no shortage of MA classes in Glasgow as I understand it.
    Wing Chun is to be avoided, as you're incredibly unlikely to find a good school. Bear in mind that from jujitsu came Judo and Brazilian (Gracie) Jiu-jitsu, which are trained in such a way that the techniques work much more reliably than the 'original'. Judo usually can't be beat in price, it's incredibly consistent in quality. BJJ is usually more expensive but has a lower injury rate, due to less bone-crunching throws.
    I don't know what you have against kickboxing, that's one of the best out of the schools you mentioned.

3. honest_geezer

honest_geezer New Member

Thanks for the info.

I don't fancy kickboxing as I know a few who have done it and have had bad injuries from it. I'm not really into full contact MA i.e. kicking people in the head etc

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Theres Good BJJ in the kelvin hall, there are good chunners in Glasgow, good Kali guys(the Kali guys and hte Chunners cross train a fair bit), good kf, good Bujinkan (2 dojo), all in the city before you start on the Outlying towns, Best place to see what else is on is go to the Martial arts shop in the savoy centre and see the posters.

Are you in Springburn by any chance?

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Learning to drive a car requires that you drive a car.

Alas - learning to fight requires that you fight :rolleyes:

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Check out makotokai.co.uk it is traditional MARTIAL ART of aikido we have students from various martial arts training with us.Have a look at the martial arts of aikido threads here on MAP.

regards koyo

8. honest_geezer

honest_geezer New Member

Yeah I know that, but learning to fight doesn't mean you have to kick the keik out of someone. Semi or light contact would appear to be the btter option for me.

Thanks for the replies so far guys
    Yes m8, I'm in Stepps so not far... BTW tried the wee guy in the Savoy Centre but a lot of the posters must be old cos unfortunately I picked out about 3 or 4 and they were all dead lines :( Good idea though m8 :)

9. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

is'nt tommy carruthers there?
    he is bad a$$

10. adouglasmhor

Come to our dojo on sun or we !st lesson free upstairs in Peckhams Glassford st.

11. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Humans dont need to learn to fight.

fighting is a natural survival instinct that we are born with

12. honest_geezer

honest_geezer New Member

Thanks m8, what style is it (sorry for being thick!)? Also, what time on a sun as can't make wed

13. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

The art formally known as Ninjutsu.

Good guys there, actually both Dojo in Glasgow are good.

14. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

If you don't want to hit/kick people, try the grappling classes adouglasmhor suggested. All sound excellent. You'll get to train "full contact" but without punching people in the face, or receiving.
    Be aware that in nearly all cases, Aikido and ninjitsu classes consist solely of pretend, fantasy fighting. LARPing you might say.

15. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Its Ninjutsu not Ninjitsu and you are entitled to you opinion but i think the chap can make his own mind up by trying a lesson rather than listening to some ill informed advice.

After all have you trained in the Dojos i have in the UK to make that comment..No i don't think you have.

16. RunningDog

RunningDog Valued Member

You're right, I haven't trained ninjutsu personally. I'm just going by the evidence that presents itself: videos of LARPing, first hand evidence from ex-ninjitsu people, and a total lack of representation in MMA competition.

The chap should make up his own mind, I'm just trying to point out that if he wants his choice to be an effective martial art, he needs to make sure that they do plenty of sparring/rolling. If there are ninjutsu schools which do that in Glasgow, I'm pleased, but most stick to compliant drilling from what I've heard.
    Same goes for Aikido and Wing Chun, but there are exceptions for all, wouldn't want to tar everyone with the same brush.

17. johndoch

johndoch upurs

try "griphouse+glasgow" in a google search

they dont hit that hard so am told

18. adouglasmhor

I have heard nothing but good things about the griphouse people and intend getting along htere to see how it is myself and soon.

19. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Bottom line do not listen to what people say GO AND SEE WHAT THEY ARE DOING.And certainly do not listen to someone who says I have HEARD that this or that art is or is not effective without having seen or trained in it.
    Running dog why don't you check out the martial arts of aikido threads where you may get a different perspective on the art?

KOYO
    makotokai.co.uk

Congrats adoug.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  20. honest_geezer

honest_geezer New Member

Cheers for that...

Will maybe try and see if the BJJ is stillon in the Kelvin Hall as that's a sat. Will also try and find out the times for adoug's class on a Sun.
    Also there is a Shoto Budo class near me which seems quite good and reasonable but no contact details unfortunately :( Will have to nip along and see when it's on.