pleeeease help! my computer won't eject a DVD

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cavallin, Sep 29, 2007.

1. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

helloooo

can you please help, my DVD drive won't eject!! i've tried doing it from the programme and right clicking on the disk icon and doing eject, and sticking a pin in the pinhople thing, but it still won't eject!
    it makes the noise before it would eject and then nothing happens :(
    and i need to sell this DVD on ebay so yeah kinda need it soon!!!

much appreciated peeps !

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Have another go at the paperclip in the hole method - there's a catch on the inside that may sometimes be tricky to hit and may some times be stiff (use something thick and push hard.

Failling that then there's a good chance the drive is knackered - just take it apart (carefully, so as to not damage the DVD inside), fling it away and rescue the DVD. You may need to disassemble it with screwdrivers, or youmight be able to lever the front tray open by wedging a screwdriver inside and twisting. Once again - be careful of the DVD inside if you do that!

4. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

techno phobe speaking ....

kick the living daylights out of it!!!

Smurf :D :D :D

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Only if it's a work PC. Take more care of your own hardware. :D

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Fish dont be so choosy...kill all the machines now before they take over!!!

Smurf ;) ;)

7. L3vity

L3vity Resident poet

If the paperclip thing isn't working (try it several times, if the drive budges half a centimeter get your fingers in there and rip it out), it means the drive is jammed. Your DVD is probably half in the tray and half on top of the tray. You might need a screwdriver >.< (or a baseball bat...)

8. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Having opened up the computer to fix the DVD drive problem you have, there's no point. When you get to the DVD drive it's a whole sperate component that if you open you risk laser radiation (or something like that). Just yank the thing out and buy a new drive afterwards.

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

The paperclip method might be a little tricky at first but once you master it you can reset things like TomTom satnavs when they lock up for no reason and they're also handy for stabbing mice who try to steal your cheese. :D

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'd go with the paper clip as well. I've had to fix many drive trays that people have accidentally dislodged and I can tell you taking a DVD drive apart isn't easy. Especially if you want to use it again. They aren't designed to be disassembled. Have plasters at the ready to cover the lacerations to your fingers.

If the DVD is jammed you might want to expect it to be split in the middle. Especially if you've heard any sort of screeching or squeaking noises. That's happened to me a few times. It also renders the disc unreadable.