please help - explorer keeps opening it's self

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dragon_bunny, Jul 13, 2004.

1. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

when i turn on my comp i get lots of pop ups telling me a program i've opened requests connection to the internet (interresting as it happens before i open anything!)
    when when i do connect (just normally) explorer opens its self to random web pages. such as http://www.ca/

i have no idea why this is happening. i've run ad aware but it still happens
    please help it's driving me mad :eek: :(

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Run a spyware sweep and a virus scan.

I run Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware 6. Both are free online.

3. dragon_bunny

spyware didn't help :( still poping up and i still get things telling me h0m3.no-ip.org wants me to connect :(

4. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

5. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

6. dragon_bunny

i do use mozilla whats why this is soo annoying.. i'll be happily using mozilla (which should be slept modzilla!) and IE will just spring open :(

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

unintsall it?
    Add/ remove programmes, etc..

8. dragon_bunny

can't my dad uses it. it took me long enough to get him to know how to use that i don't want to have to re teach him :D

9. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

Run the anti-spyware programs. Then your virus scanner. Remove anything that it says is on your computer. Also make sure that ad-ware is updated. They have updates almost every day. You may have a new one that is not in the database of files in your adware. Adware constantly needs updated but it is the best one to use. SpyBot is also good....it finds some that AdWare doesn't.

I know it is some type of spyware because I had the same thing. I know how to edit the registry and back it up. So I found some of the programs myself just by looking.

Look and see if the file that is being brought up is using the C drive or the internet.

if it says http://www.??????????? then its the internet
    if it says c://www. ????????????? then this is a local file that is downloaded and is being used as your home page.

Hope this helps a little.

10. dragon_bunny

thank you :) i ran spybot, ad aware all to no avail. Ran my virus scan once i got a friend to bring me the updates... comp wasn't letting me update. Now i found i have a worm :( but i'm sorting that out. so might be the problem

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

if you're comp wasn't letting you update, it sounds very much like a worm/virus. They often disable the AV. Any idea which one it is?

Clear out your internet cache maybe? Sometimes that helps.

12. dragon_bunny

bleh.. hours later :) Got rid of the worm everything seems to be working nicely now (touch wood) very grateful mum has a laptop helped me see the site to remove it.

It was w32.spybot.worm which doesn't seem to do much except irriate me ;)

Thank you everyone for the help! :) I will never forsake updating things even though it annoys me hehe :D

13. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

Spybot worms generally come through email attachments, and instant messagers.

Like Kgirl said these disable anti-virus programs. You can set up Norton to update in the background without you asking it to update.