Please Give me Advice on WTF Form Taegeuk 2

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TigerAnsTKDLove, Jan 12, 2004.

1. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

hello tommorow i start practcing my form Taegeuk 2 and i am part of the WTF i dont know if that makes a difference or not but anyways can you give me some pointers on this form? is this form difficult? cuz when i saw tkd_princess78 practicing green belt form at my tkd school on friday it looked very very difficult and i am sittin' here worrying. when i was orange belt i did Taegeuk 1 and that was easy but now that i look at Taegeuk 2 it looks hard. so if you have practice this form can you please give me some major advice, tips, hints etc... i would really really appreciate it you can private message me the advice or post it here doesn't matter thanks for your help!:D

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

The hardest part are the 3 kicks at the end IMO. I always seem to have trouble with those. I either kick too high, or look up while kicking, or lose balance afterwards.

Oh, and in the 2 kicks in the middle, don't fall into Forward Stance with punch, chamber the leg, move into forward stance, and punch slightly afterwards.

PL

3. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

thanks poop loops appreciate it alot don't know how matt my brother did it but i will give it my all

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

It's really not that hard. Way easier to transition from doing Taeguk 1 to 2, than from base forms to Taeguk 1.

PL

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Hey, folks!

For what it's worth, these things helped me. First, remember a simple outline of the form (Left, Right; L,R; R,L).

Second, remember to make large, full motions. Make a big difference between the walking stances and the front stances. Make a clear difference between the middle punches and the two high punches. Use both hands (one up, one down) for high and low blocks, and pull both arms back for inner wrist hand blocks.

Third, always look before turning. There's an imaginary opponent over there, and you must turn your head and 'see' them before turning your body and blocking/striking.

Fourth, PL is exactly right about those three kicks at the end. It's really easy to step farther and farther out with each kick, until you're in a front stance, instead of walking stance. It helped me a lot to pull my leg back into a cocked position after the snap, so I could put it down into a close-in walking stance.

You're building a foundation for all your future skills and forms. Like the old joke: 'How do you get to Carnegie Hall?' A: 'PRACTICE!'

If interested, you can see a video of the form at
    http://www.tkdpeople.com/taekwondo/poomse/taeguk/taeguk_2.htm
    (IMHO, not the greatest, but functional). This website also has a .gif outline of the steps in the form. Watch the word-description, though--they leave out some punches.

6. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

PL, TKDAns, where are you guys from? I'm WTF TKD in southern Maryland, USA.

-Ann R.

7. tkd_princess78

tkd_princess78 New Member

Hey tigeran, I hope i didnt scare you the form is really not that hard I was having an off day. The last time I did green was over a year ago. Plus my friend and I were being goofballs Can you and your brother come to family class on Tus at 6:30? I will be there if you want the extra help.

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

Never wonder how hard something is, but be happy because u r about to learn something new. There is nothing in TKD that I don't like or that I find boring. So, instead of worrying, enjoy it :)

Both Taeguk 1 and Taeguk 2 are not difficult. Where you had apkubi stance in Taeguk 1, in Taeguk 2 u'll have apsogi stance.

The technique is let's say the same as in Taeguk 1.

Always prepare ur body (hand, leg..) before doing a certain technique.

Don't forget to breathe.

U'll have a lot of fun and once u learn it, u'll definitely say that it is a piece of cake, believe me :)

9. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I would venture to say the most difficult part at least for myself when I learned it, and for most of the students I teach . . . is the 270 degree turn. If you have problems with that TigerAns (you'll know what I'm talking about after your instructor teaches it to you) just remember. Look where you want to go, set your technique, then go there with the technique. Have fun with it. I remember going home after the first time I leared Ee Jang, and practicing for another 4 hours after class.

10. Kenal0

Kenal0 New Member

Learn the form in small chunks. Always start from the beginning and go a little further as you get comfortable. Practice it everyday and do not forget to practice Taeguk 1 once in a while. I go through 1-8 and Koryo every day and it does not take more than a few minutes. My 6 year old was able to learn all the forms 1 thru 8(all steps) even though he was only required to learn the first 8-10 steps of each form by practicing and going a little further each time. It took him about 2 months for each form practicing every day.
    Keep in mind that these forms are one of the cornerstones of Taekwando it is important to learn them properly. They are not difficult if you practice often. Good luck,
    you will learn it in no time.
    Kenal0

11. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

To echo what neryo_tkd and others have said, the early forms (i do ITF forms but I'm familiar with the Taegeuk forms) are quite easy. If you think they are not, watch someone perform Koryo and you will see that your task is not as hard as you think.

Two things:

1. The idea is not to see how fast you can learn this, rather it is how well can you master the moves.

2. Even a simple form, performed with precision, speed and power cannot be learned overnight. A good teacher will require that you continue to practice and improve on your old forms. This isn't much of a problem at the lower levels, but once you get to the higher ranks, there is a whole lot of forms to remember.

Another poster recommended that you learn the form in small chunks. This is my advice. Even to this day I go back to Chung-Mu (1st Gup ITF form) once or twice/week and practice some of the trickier areas, such as the 360 jump and flying side kick. I will spend 20 minutes on just these 4 or 5 isolated moves.

While moving up the ranks is fun, one of the negatives is that you have to know more new stuff, while keeping up and improving on the old stuff.

You will do well, forms are fun.

Tom

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well....to someone forms are easy whereas someone will say that they are not. it depends on the student and his/her level.

many students just walk around and think they are doing the form right. Wrong!!!! the forms aren't here just for the sake of walking around.

there are also students who pay attention to the way they perform hand and leg techniques but forget to pay attention to their stances. there are so many things one should know about forms, but with a good instructor and practice they should be mastered.

it is also very important to know the diagram of the form. some students don't know that they should for example move the rear leg to the front leg, prepare their body for the technique and then do it, and not simply walk around.

there are students who have problems with the stances when they have to turn around. they simply don't adjust the stance and their body, and what happens: the rear leg ends up behind the front leg but on the left side, instead of the right. all students are not the same of course. some of them have coordination problems and when they focus on their hands, they can't focus on their legs.

one other thing. i have already said that forms aren't just mere walking around. students should also know that all techniques should be done with a certain speed, power etc. if u just do them slowely, what's the point.

and let's not forget the kihap. the kihap isn't just screaming and yelling. sometimes students make a technique and when they are done with it, they add the kihap. Wrong! sometimes the kihap can be heard before the technique is done. Wrong!

As I have already said, there are so many things one should know, but still if one is really interested in learning them and has a good instructor, there shouldn't be any problems.

Last word to Tigeran...it's ok if and when u ask for advice and help. u can also write about it in ur journal. but u can't learn the forms just by reading these posts. i am sure u know that it all requires hard work and dedication. someone will say forms are difficult, someone will say they r a piece of cake. but u don't know how well all these persons do them. practice, practice, practice and i'm sure u'll do just fine :)
    and u know what u can do? when u r lying in ur bed, close ur eyes and imagine urself doing the form(s). it comes in handy :)
    think about every hand technique, every leg technique, every stance, every turn....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004