Please dont flame me Im new and looking for good people

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Heroacademy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Heroacademy

Heroacademy Banned Banned

Hi all my name is Gary from Bromley in Kent/London I hope to chat lots to you all and learn from your vast experience and hopefully meet some good friends and hopefully colleagues along the way. My main aim is to bring a good set of Martial Arts teacher from London and Kent together and get a set of classes together under one banner the "Hero Martial Arts Schools"
    We dont want to be a mcdojo and only want to teach good quality Martial Arts no gimmicks or useless rubbish. My background is Lau Gar Kung Fu and ABC combat under Chris Crudelli and Historical European Martial Arts.

My reason for joining as well as talking lots.
    (Please note- sorry, but MAP does not allow free advertising. If you wish to pursue this part of your discussion. Please E-mail Aegis for MAP's Advertising rates.) Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2016
  2. ned

ned Valued Member

Welcome to MAP .

Not dissing lau gar ( did it myself for five years ) as it has it"s positives but it's a stretch to call it traditional CMA .
    Also I don't really see the point of what you're aiming for,other than as a business plan. MA - wise the idea sounds a bit confused.

3. Heroacademy

Over the years I have also studied for varying degrees of time Wing Chun and Tai Chi as well. As for the plan to fund peoples hall hire its pretty simple. I get people started with no financial commitment from themselves in teaching. Not a big business plan really more of a "it would be good to have more classes in London" and of course I would get a small return from class fees which are to be shared. A win win for the teacher because of the no initial funds needed to get it up and running and the advertising being sorted for them as well. I hope this explains better , if not then please feel free to ask more questions :)

4. Heroacademy

Also its early days as well just an idea im mulling over and testing the water to see if any interest is payed to it.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP. :)

Just to let you know MAP doesn't allow cross posting of the same thread in multiple places, so you thread in the Weapons section has been unapproved.

6. Heroacademy

No worries thanks for letting me know :)

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sounds like a bit if a pyramid scheme.

8. Heroacademy

lol thanks for the skepticism , I guess the only way to prove it , is to get a class or two up and running. I wont lie I am hoping to benefit from the student fees of course i would be mad not to want some money for the benefits i would bring , but the fact is it is quite simple as explained above. I am looking to invest in good quality teachers who need a helping hand to get a class off the ground. All i want to do is be helpful to these guys and of course earn some cash as well as they would but with no payment for hall to worry about or advertising. I come from a Martial Arts background and also I have worked in Media for years then i became very lucky with an inheritance of which i want to use by doing something productive.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  9. Heroacademy

All I ask is people not to shoot me down for just trying to help others and get more martial arts classes out there.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

Mod note:
    No one is shouting you down. But please take a look at our Terms of Service and be sure to follow them when discussing your business adventure in any future posts. Thanks.

On a personal note- I appreciate your believing in what you do. But when you say you are "just trying to help others" - no. That is not all you are doing. You are wanting to run a business and make money too. There is nothing wrong with running a MA business and making money. But let's not pretend this is an entirely altruistic venture.:)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  11. Heroacademy

.... Yeah I have already stated that I'll make money ? I don't see your point in literally pointing out what is already written. No offence intended. Please don't question my motives as I am the person doing this for my own reasons and despite what you think it really is to help people get a foot on the martial arts teaching ladder and also to have fun making some money as well. Anyway no worries please remove my post If need be I was expecting a warmer welcome than I have received so far but I guess I came to the wrong forum to look for people interested. Take care everyone and again I meant no offence to anyone by offering a helping hand to people thinking of becoming teacher or struggling teachers looking to get a class going.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Heroacademy, welcome to MAP.

Having worked in the media you'll know advertising costs money.

We also have to cover our costs and the fact that we've been online for almost 15 years tells you we're doing something right.

We're looking to expand too and we're aware that is going to come with costs added, so I'm not sure why you've taken the stance you have.

We'd be happy to help, but we're not promoting someone else's business without benefiting ourselves.

13. Heroacademy

What ? Have you even read my posts ? Apologies but I was offering to advertise for people and pay the hall hires for them

14. Heroacademy

Not sure how to close my account but if a mod would be so kind then that would be great. Cheers

15. Simon

Yes, but you are using MAP for the initial contact and promotion.

You will gain from having another instructor on board. The instructor will gain, but what does MAP get, as we are effectively the magazine advert.

16. Simon

I'm sorry but we don't close accounts.

It'd be a shame of you left, but you aren't endearing yourself as a potential business partner.

17. Heroacademy

No worries. I can see this was the totally wrong place to come and reach out to potential instructors.

18. Heroacademy

I don't understand why I'm being trolled and talked to like the way you are. You do not know me so don't assume to question me as a business partner.

19. Heroacademy

I wish you all well and a happy life. Let's leave it at that now then.

20. Simon

Not really, but as someone in marketing you know how hard cold calling is.

If you don't get off on the right foot...

We can reach thousands of people, as we have the forum, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook pages.

We have raised many thousands over the years with our yearly charity events.

These events draw martial artists from up and down the country in addition to top ranking instructors, competitive fighters and Paralympic champions.

This year we raised money for Shelter, the homeless charity.

On top of that our generous members donated martial arts items for a raffle to raise funds to help bring home Stephanie Inglis, the Judo champion injured in Vietnam.

I'd say you came to the right place, just with the wrong approach.