Playstation 3

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stan O'Kella, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

First off, please forgive me if there is a thread that I missed in relation to this, I did search but didn't find one that fit the bill!!

I have bought myself a PS 3, and had it for about 3 weeks now. I was just wondering what the general consensus of you lot was on the machine. I bought it when I was hijacked into buying a HDTV, and ;) wanted to see how good the picture could be.

The picture is amazing and the games look truly awesome, the blu ray DVD that came with my package really took me back!!

I had my first taste of online action and got my ass royally kicked in some Resistance FOM action, after wracking my brain installing a wireless router!

So readers, anyone else the proud owner of a PS 3, if so what are your thoughts and feelings, I have a few gripes, that I'll mention should anyone feel the need to contribute to this thread or if they close it and direct me to the thread i missed somehow!!! :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Hmm, I don't believe it, there's doesn't seem to be a separate thread extolling the virtue of the PS3. Unless the search function is broken...

I don't have one myself, I'm umming and ahhing between that and the Xbox360 Elite when it is out. The main thing against the PS3 for me is the lack of Emotion chip, meaning that PS2 games won't work on it and require emulation via firmware upgrades, the horrendous price point and the sheer size of the beast. Oh, and the fact that there isn't any games worth while available for it doesn't help.

However, I do hear that it is currently the best Blu-Ray player on the market, even better than the £2,000 stand alone ones you can buy. With a resolution so crisp it's better than real life!

Having said that, the Nintendo Wii is trashing the PS3 sales wise.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070606/tc_nm/nintendo_sony_dc_3

In one of the gaming mags, unless Sony recover, the PS3 could very well be Sony's last console... I hope not though.

3. Stan O'Kella

The price was an ouch point, but like you say when you look at the price of a blu ray DVD player, it does seem cheap!! Getting a next gen console and next gen DVD for a fraction of the price of buying them both seperate. The picture quality is just unbelievable, even with old DVD's that it can upscale. As for the size, it sits lovel on of my sky+ box, nestled under my 37" LCD TV, in fact under the TV it looks positively tiny :D

My issue was the backwards compatabilty, some games work, some don't even the web site that Sony posts the ones that will and won't isn't accurate. The ones that do work the PS 3 upscales and they do alook better than when I play them on the PS2 . It's a minor isssue for me though as I still have my PS 2. Like you say though they are constantly relaeasing firmware so they can be played on the beast.

I read somewhere that the PS 3 was the most sucessful console launch, could be wrong, but the reason that there was no problem getting one was due to the fact that Sony manufactured so many.

4. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I got one and I'm loving it! Got Resistance: FOM and Oblivion. The graphics looks great on a HDTV but I'm sure they will improved in future releases. The online gaming is also great (it's free and can be used out the box - you listening Microsoft?) and I had no lag during a deathmatch.

The Network Store is going to be a great feature when it's fully working and updated regularly, and the thought of classic PSX and PS2 games is great! There is Syphon Filter and Biohazard I want to get but it's on the Japanese network.

For OP and anyone else who might know - the recent 1.8 update allows upscaling of PSX and PS2 games and of DVDs, but how do you configure it properly? Didn't seem to be much difference to me :confused:

5. Chimpcheng

Yes, you're quite correct. The PS3 had the most successful console launch in the UK, mainly due to the fact that so many were made. However, since launch, apparently, sales have slumped some 82%.

Woolworths actually dropped the price of the PS3 (but only for a week or so I heard) which is selling at a massive loss anyway. The fact that Nintendo's hugely (technically) inferior console is storming way, way ahead of Sony's monster is a massive sore point for Sony.

If you have the right TV and connectors upscaling, especially in the world of DVDs, brings a near HD picture quality. Now, I'm a huge fan of DVD's and the PS3's ability to upscale as well as play Blu-Ray is tempting...

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Sony are really shooting themselves in the foot - they are releasing a cheaper blu ray player to compete with the Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player that is currently topping the sales chart on amazon (above ALL DVD players, not just HD!). Doh! This to me basically eliminates virtually any chance of me ever buying one as I have a Wii and just got a 360.

Wii is what it is, and the 360 gives me virtually everything the ps3 does aside from MGS4 (one game!), blu-ray and an HDMI connection, none of which I'm bothered about anyway. I have slagged the PS3 rotten in this forum, and I still believe rightly so. Their launch was the most successful because the PS2 was so damn good and there are so many damn Sony fanboys out there believing the hype.

As a gaming machine it has little going for it when the same games and many more are out on the 360. As a blu-ray player, it is now being under-cut with blu-ray players and HD-DVD rapidly dropping in price. Using it as a blu-ray player, if the history of the PS2 is anything to go by, will also drastically reduce it's lifespan as the large majority of users who complained about knackered lasers in the PS2 were using it as a DVD player too. Pure speculation obviously, but it's a minor point when compared to the ridiculous price of what is supposed to be a games machine that doesn't have many games that aren't already out and cheaper on other platforms eg. elder scrolls oblivion, 40 quid on ps3, 18 on 360 :eek:

Chimp - you can get a good upscaling DVD player for 50-100 quid. There was an excellent 50 quid Philips one in Sainsburys for a while with an HDMI cable for one English pound! I missed out unfortunately. Check out avforums.com for more info.

7. Chimpcheng

£50??? The PS3 can get bent! :D Games wise it's meh at best (though I admit Virtual Fighter 5 looks really sweet in the demo pod at HMV) with nothing on the near future release calendar that makes me go mmm...

Who knows, maybe it'll prove us wrong and end up controlling the world, but until then I can take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong, if I got one for free I'm buying games and Blu-Ray disks for it. :D

8. Stan O'Kella

I have installed the software update, and have noticed a considerable difference in the quality of the picture on the PS 2 games i was playing on the PS3. The online manuals that you can access via the network section on the xmb are very useful in the setting up of the updates.

As for the x box/PS battle, wil always rage and no one will will ever win totally as most people are die hard fans of one or the other. I owned an x box and PS 2 and preferred the x box. I played the 360 and preferred the PS 3 and that was the reason I plumped for it, so far I havent been dissipointed. The free demos on the playstation store have confirmed this even more for me, and as soon as i get done here i'll be off battling online in Resistance FOM :D

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I want a couple of games that are due out on the PS3, namely MGS4 and the Final Fantasy series but A) they're not close to being out yet and B) I work for the NHS so the asking price is way out of my price range at the moment. I have no doubt that a PS3 will wind up in my possession, but not for quite a while when the price drops and there are more exclusives/ generally good games. I might end up getting a 360 in the next couple of months though, if it turns out that the rumours of a Dead Rising PC version were fibs

10. Stan O'Kella

Thanks for the views guys, I'm getting rather fond of my PS3 and I've spent more time messing and playing with it than any other console I've had, and my hisory goes back to the Vectrex and the original Sega Master System!!!

11. Ad McG

I just got a 360 because there was a deal on play for 360, extra controller, C+C3, Gears of War, Project Gotham Racing 2 and some xbox live market games for 300 quid. Gotta pay another 125 quid for just a PS3! I seriously can't understand how ANYONE can justify that kind of price!?

12. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Hopefully the price will have dropped by the time GTA IV comes out, since that's the best reason I've got for buying it.

13. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I got my PS3 about three weeks ago, and so far I am very pleased. They seem to update it all the time and it just keeps getting better, now you can upscale regular DVD's to full-HD resolution, wich dramatically improves the image-quality.
    That's great for me, because PDTV (regular TV) looks really bad on my 42" plasma.

I have had some trouble with the PS3 loosing its connection to HDMI when i switch between games, but the picture returns when i restart my TV.

The only thing that really isn't that great is the lack of good games, there are a few, but not that many. But it was even worse when the 360 and Wii came out, it's just that in used to gaming on PC, not consoles.

And I agree with previous posters, I'm waiting for GTA4 and Metal Gear, now I own virtua fighter, wich is great. And I also rent games, have tried Resistence Fall of Man, waiting for Motorstorm wich I have ordered now.

14. Stan O'Kella

Motorstorm rocks!!! The backdrops look real not just CG'd. I downloaded the trailer for GTA IV as most of the gamin world has, and if it looks that good and plays as well as the rest of the series it will truly be a gaming experience to behold. The online stuff that Sony are offering is not to bad so far, the free stuff is a welcome little cameo of stuff to come. The free GT hd gmae is already getting some hammer, i was well pleased with my 5415th ranking on my first few laps ;)

15. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i have a ps3 and i love it, motorstorm is ace and god of war 2 looked sweet on it as well, if any of you haven't allready cheacked it out i sugesst you go find some teaser trailers for heavenly sword.

i run a games dept, and had ample time and oppertunity to test and compare the ps3 and 360, and to compare side by side the games that have been released on both consoles, and allthough there isn't a great deal of differance between the two yet, one has been out nearly 2 years and should be leaps and bounds ahead of the other which has only been out just over8 months. with this in mind and all the stuff included in the console, the free online service and stuff in the pipeline like home, i opted for a ps3, and haven't look back.

16. Chimpcheng

That's true, the PS3 from a technical standpoint laughs at every other system, but with the price being a sore point and the lack of games that make you want to buy the system I'm going to hold off for a while.

17. Ad McG

It's coming out at the same time on 360 :cool: In all honesty this was also a big reason for me to wait around for a ps3 price drop (drastic one!) but now I know it's out on the 360, I can't see any reason to get a ps3.

It doesn't actually laugh at other systems. The cell processor is much harder to develop for and not that much more significantly powerful. Similar amounts of RAM, fairly similar graphics set up too give only slightly better real-time performance. There really isn't all THAT much visible difference, the main difference IMO is in that the ps3 has HDMI, 1080p and blu-ray. Oh no, we might have to use 2 discs! :p Unless you have a stunning TV and are really into audio-visual stuff then you won't notice the difference between component 360 1080i pictures and 1080p pictures through HDMI on the ps3. Even then, 1080p is being released through a firmware update for the 360 now. I for one do not think this is worth the 200 quid price difference. The only way I can fault the 360 is that it doesn't have wireless built-in which it should have, and the adaptor is 55 quid! What a rip.

18. Stan O'Kella

What can I say, I'm a techno geek and that was what sold me om the PS3, probably fell for marketing tissue. But the £200 extra I spent would have been spent on beer so the PS3 has helped me keep healthy :D

19. Chimpcheng

I've obviously been suckered in by the Sony hype machine. :D

I was of the understanding that the PS3, technically, wiped the floor with everything else, leading to the release of the 360 elite and wotnot. Having said that, I do seem to recall a piece saying that, right now, there's no real difference between PS3 and the 360. Not sure where I read that, probably a Microsoft leaflet. :D

As it is, the Wii is the sexiest current gen console, we can all agree on that. It's brilliantly inventive with the likes of "Cooking Mama" and the forthcoming "Resident Evil" games. Awesome. :D

20. Stan O'Kella

The Wii defo has something going for it :D, although with my lack of control of my own strength I'd have put several windows and the screen of my TV through by now throwing the controller around!! It's bad enough with the sixaxis one trying to mellee some bad Nazi dude by shaking the controller in Call of duty :D