Playing around with karate's low sweep entry

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dillon, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Hey gang! My training group was playing around with the application of gedan barai in different contexts last night as part of a project we're working on to use karate as a bridge into range for our wrestlers (my current playgroup is heavily based in judo/jujutsu). One of our crew decided she wanted to do an impromptu film session, and we wound up stitching some of the clips together. Let me know what you think! I decided to post in "General" rather than in "Karate" because we use this in a few different contexts, and it'll wind up being part of a series for our wrestlers and judoka.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbX2wXFHsMY"]Applications of Gedan Barai - YouTube[/ame]

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

That particular movement is very popular in Hung gar forms. a fun variation is to drop lower and put the arm into the inside of the hip joint. e.g opponent in left lead attacks left jap, step right foot into right lead to their outside (their left your right). then put your right arm down across the inside of their left hip and take hem down.