Planning on joining an MMA tournament in my country

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Jan 31, 2014.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

2. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The old fashioned way of course meaning, you weren't going to do it at all.

Get to one of those gyms and let your coaches decide when you're ready to compete. Any other route leads to you getting stomped on.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So let me get this straight...you're planning on doing an MMA event but haven't even googled MMA gyms in your area?!
    Instead you thought you'd get some faceless advice from the gumps on MAP?

That makes sense.

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm leaning very heavily towards Holyhead's advice at this point. Don't enter. You're clearly not ready mentally yet alone physically to enter a serious mma competition. This isn't a sport where being this unprepared for it means you give it the ol' college try and come away feeling happy you gave it an effort. People get brain damage, people get put in comas, people break bones, people get their knees blown. Guys who know how to fight get in the cage with the risk of picking up serious injuries if they have bad luck. Someone like you going into one takes the risk of picking up injuries that will effect you the rest of your life.

I tried to give you decent advice at the start of the thread because I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and hey, I'm used to seeing guys train for a year and then fight at an amateur level so it seemed normal. There is a whole world of difference between those guys and you though. I don't mean that as a personal attack, those guys are a minority in the martial arts world after all. However those guys fight within a year because they give everything they have multiple times a week in a, if I may say so, very good gym with very good instruction and training partners. What none of those guys did was train in a softer style and then half ass their approach to fighting. When they got told they were being considered to fight on a show they stepped it up even higher.

To give an example: You've told us you want to fight in a decent event with solid competition but apparently hadn't even thought to look into local mma schools and then have tried to find someone willing to say your tkd and aikido is going to be enough. Comparatively, the other week I saw someone about to fight on a decent show that's reasonably comparable to MI get beasted and beaten by three UFC fighters for multiple rounds. I'm guessing you can see the difference there?

Don't do it mate. Seriously, don't.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Okey, if you say so mate.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think you should go for it, what the heck, life is about new things right. Post videos.

[​IMG]

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the only person i know who has entered an MMA comp after a short amount of training (i think a year) was Chadderz - he's a MAP member.
    He trained in ninjutsu before, i think he can vouch why you should train ring styles instead of random stuff.

He trained everyday at an MMA club, sometimes twice a day and developed pretty superb grappling skills in a very short amount of time.
    He also was coached by an insanely good coach (rick young) and he entered an amateur comp not a pro one like malaysian invasion.

Maybe chadz can offer insight.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

D'awwww I'm blushing!

I trained for almost exactly two years in BJJ, kickboxing and a small amount of JKD before I entered a cage. I had previously trained in a ninjutsu dojo (which didn't work for me in a street fight) and after that boxing (again, the gym was very far from good, it was actually pretty bad).

So I joined Ricks, purely for self defence and a fleeting fantasy of MMA. I soon discovered the more I learned about fighting, the less I actually knew. It sounds crazy but the pool of knowledge is so much deeper than I can comprehend from here, barely grazing the surface. Soon I found I had a real talent for grappling and to a slightly lesser extent kickboxing (because I hated getting hit when I started) even though I lacked physical athleticism. My first amateur fight fell through, then a few months later into my second year I was supposed to fight but there was too much pressure and my coaches made me pull out. I was crying from getting shark tanked all the time, and the hard sparring sessions. Then I went at it again, fighting at the semi professional level, and there is a whole thread somewhere about my experience of fighting. It's much scarier than any street fight I've ever had, and I was winning!

Anyway, I found what I was training in didnt work in a combative environment so I switched it up. I highly suggest you do the same. Hoped this helped :)

11. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

what do you mean by combative environment btw Chadderz. Do you mean switch to a ring type environment?

12. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I have a great solution for this thread!

Mugen has been offered good advice from experienced sources. Mugen has also pointed out that he will be 18 soon, old enough to join the tournament, old enough to make his own choice.

Now then, who wants to start with betting? Minimum 100$ per bet, no maximum so long as you're good for it. :p

50 % of winning will go towards the next MAP meet, think of the possibilities!

13. Pretty In Pink

No, I mean the Ninjutsu I had learned did not work effectively in fights (either street OR sport environment). I got into a fight with this 200lb+ bodybuilder and tried to wrist lock him. The look on my face when I realised it didn't work must have been priceless, so I hit him with a skateboard.

After I found that out I started looking into boxing, which was okay but I wanted something more rounded. BJJ and Muay Thai cover that nicely. :)

14. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That's ninja resourcefulness right there. Also a skateboarding ninja would look hilarious.

15. Pretty In Pink

It was an unusual situation. I can't really do anything with a skateboard except ride it a little, and hit people with it.

16. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

swimming, jump-roping, jogging, light weight lifting, and lots of sparring for at least one year before entering any tournament, for safety reasons, the MMA styles have already been covered, muaythai and jujutsu alone are excellent together and will give you a basic foundation for all ranges of fighting in the ring

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  17. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Oh yeah just to let you guys know i have found a gym :D, this is just for laughs thought i tell ya, so i found the gym that was kinda close to my home, when i got there unfortunately they were either shooting a drama or movie (hahaha us Malaysians huh :p) so it was awkward when i entered the scene by accident. then i decided to take the escalator, awkwardly it was the only noise during the shoot (so embarrassed kya :D) but then i figured the whole place must be closed to public atm (i am talking about the shopping complex the gym was in) so i left and i thought i must be at the wrong place cause the gym stated to have the mma gym was a different name so i didn't recognize it. so after that i exited the building and asked a nearby patron, but sadly he didn't know what i was talking about( i asked like 2 patrons that i gave up on asking bystanders), so in the end i asked a nearby hotel whereby they stated that the gym was in the exact shopping complex i visited. So i went back and when through the movie or drama shoot again, and in the end i couldn't get an escalator to the 6th floor, i was at the 3rd floor at the time, so i tried the elevator which was for some reason somehow booked by the movie shooting group (damn you movie or drama producers!!) so i decided to take the emergency stairs all the way to the sixth floor only to find no entry point to the gym. so i went back down and waited for the elevator. once i finally got the elevator, i pressed the button and next thing i know i missed the mma gym by one floor! so i tried pressing the 5th floor but instead it brought me to the ground floor, in the middle of a scene!!!. in the end i just ended up taking the elevator back to the sixth floor and asked them how to get to the mma gym. turns out there was a stairs leading to the mma gym from the 6th floor :bang:. and there you have it my amazing adventure in finding this gym hope you enjoyed it

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mugen Zero, if you're trying to insert smileys using codes it's not working and it's making your posts horrible to read.

Please use the smileys provided my MAP. Click "go advanced" at the bottom of the text box and you'll see a list if smileys there.

19. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

i was wondering why they weren't showing up. umm how do i input the smiley btw Simon? when i try to edit the emote tab doesn't show up.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

When you start to type a reply you'll see two boxes below the text box in which you're typing.

one say "post quick reply", the other says "go advanced". Click on the "go advanced" option.

Then on the right hand side of the text box will be the smiley list. below the smiley list is a "more" option. Further smileys can be found by clicking that option.

Further information and a tutorial can be found in the FAQ section of MAP.

Hope that helps. :)