Planning on joining an MMA tournament in my country

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

yeah from the sounds of it, you dont need endurance or strength training - you need skills first.

and unless your strength base is high, strength and endurance training together will be counter productive to gaining strength

2. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm a flyweight or a lightweight? good cut-man? umm coaching umm still looking, and yeah i have watched

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

technique like grappling? and striking?

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm saying that if you don't, you'll be meat for the grinder.

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm how about kyokushin karate?

6. Mangosteen

yes like

Grappling and striking at a club that has links to MMA or at least have ring proven styles

Grappling:
    BJJ
    Judo (easiest to find in asia)
    Wrestling (of any type)

Striking:
    Muay thai (easiest to find in asia)
    Full contact kick boxing
    Kyokushin Karate (lot's of hard contact better than nothing)

Because there is a lot to learn, pick either grappling or striking first and get reasonably good at it (at least 2 years of solid training) before you and the other component in.

7. holyheadjch

Why Kyokushin? It's a lot better than TKD, but why not just do Muay Thai like pretty much all the guys you will be fighting?

8. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm ctually just curious, when you state what martial arts your learning does that mean your only limited to using those martial art techniques or your allowed to use techniques outside your syllabus.

9. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

cause i always love it fictional origins XD have you watched the movie fighter in the wind? umm but really I just like it's concept more and it's also because it's wide ranged of techniques, not saying anything against muay thai, i like muay thai as well but i'm leaning towards kyokushin karate :), yeah not a logical answer, but that's my reason, give or take.

10. Mangosteen

fictional origins are not helpful when you have a bloodied face and broken teeth.

do muay thai. end of story.

and anything you've learnt "out side your syllabus" can be used in MMA (do you even watch MMA matches? or read any MMA blogs or websites?) but they rarely get pulled off because they arent practised.

you only fight how you practice.

11. holyheadjch

Don't enter that tournament. You'll get yourself killed.

Full contact tournaments aren't a joke. You'll be locked in a cage with a guy who has spent years training how to beat the hell out of highly trained fighters. If you're not going to take the training commitment seriously (and your posts in this thread say you're not), then you should steer well clear and just enjoy your training. There's no shame in that.

12. shootodog

shootodog restless native

The prospects don't look so good. I mean, training a year in a team that is willing to field you and will devote the time and th effort is do-able. But if you're new to this game and you're rushing it without the team may just be a bit too much.

Think it over well.

13. Mangosteen

step 1. find something to train in
    step 2. enjoy training, if not find something else you enjoy
    step 3. train for a few years
    step 4. if you feel like you're progressing and want to test yourself for that style, enter a competition
    step 5. branch out and try new things, enjoy training and learning again
    step 6. train for a few years
    step 7. if you feel like you're progressing and want to test yourself for that style, enter a competition
    step 8. if you feel like it then give MMA a shot

14. shootodog

what he said.

how about giving us a brief look into your experience as a fighter. how many years have you been training? what kind of tournament experience do you have with full contact fighting? mma is not something that you can trifle with or fantasize about.

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

why is there 5 pages of this ? a simple google search made it plainly clear this tournament is no joke, and the I have still to audition post made it plainly clear this guy wont be getting anywhere near a cage, someone else might be getting an easy entry though. Look OP if you want to compete in the sport of MMA train in the sport of MMA and ask a qualified coach when he feels your good enough to be matched, if you want to do akido do akido, don't try and mix them this isn't 1992 there's no mystery left in what happens when you put to people in a cage for a fight, it really is that simple.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  16. shootodog

DUDE! Quit it with the sound reasoning and the firm grip on reality! This is fantasy we are talking about here! Get with the program! :evil:

17. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

5 pages to tell this guy his heads in the clowds, I miss master Betty and slipthejab !

18. shootodog

Ol' Slippy is kinda busy with work.

Anyway, since he's a kid, I wanted to ease him into the idea that if he wants to do MMA, then he should train MMA.

19. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

experience, hmm almost eleven years in itf taekwondo federation, a year in aikido, and just started wtf training, sparred with a muay thai fighter, definitely a martial art not to be trifled with, umm actually that bloody part in the ring, well mma tournament in malaysia is more less bloody actually, lots of safety things, only thing we have in common is we have to go shirtless, and you can win with either tko or forcing your opponent to tap out.

20. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

i know my experience is not much but i was hoping to shock everyone by joining it and also to see my standard in martial arts.